PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
NFL Rumors: Opposing Teams In Awe Of Patriots, 'Master-Level' Coaching
Best part:
“I talked to a couple people who played against them this morning about this,” Breer said. “I think the best way to put it … it’s a very well-conceived team. I’m gonna give you guys a direct quote from someone from this morning. ‘We saw them as the best-coached team we’ve seen since we got here. They do everything correct. They do everything disciplined. They have the perfect guys for it. They know exactly how they want to use them and where they want to use them. And everything is done perfectly. It’s a master-level class in coaching.’ “

JCJ is a monster. His plays were the biggest of the game in when we needed it most. Coming up in big time moments making big time plays. His FF changed the game. Tenn came to play and had a few good, long drives. His FF was during a long drive in a critical moment. INT and gave us the ball on the 20! Unbelievable. He has to be leading DPOY or top 3. He's been borderline game-changing recently.

Mac made some great passes and a few really poor ones (two overthrows on Bourne, one on Henry and Meyers, one was high to Agholor) ... It happens. I'm not worried unless it's a constant problem from here on out. Mac has been very accurate for years and passed with great anticipation, placement and touch. He usually nails those so no worries from me. He also passed for 300 yards for second time in so-so weather against a defense that had its back against the wall with what they were dealing with on offense.
I talked about how he dealt with pressure pre/draft and I think we've seen that play out pretty accurately so far. He can absolute maneuver and work a pocket. It's when things are tight, guys are around his feet when he gets in trouble. He doesn't have that quick twitch in his feet. The blitzes from the secondary where he's faced with quick decisions kind of illustrate that. Just something I've noticed and not the worst thing in the world btw. You can be good and bad at certain things in the same area. Overall a good day for Mac. He's much more involved in the offense imo. Lining guys up right (Rham) changing plays. He's been vocal every time they show him in between plays, in the huddle. It's nice to see and you see it in the little things like lining up on time. Overall tempo has picked up a lot, everyone is in sync and on the same page for the most part.

Folk was really good. 5-6 in weather isn't bad at all. Esp when the other teams kicker looked they way he did.

Bourne was great. Spectacular first catch that required a ton of concentration and skill. 31 is one of the best in business esp playing the ball. Bourne made an outstanding effort there. His second TD was something else too. Juked Jackrabbit I believe and ran the tightrope about 20 yards for a much needed TD. He gave us much needed YAC as well. Those were the two biggest plays of the day on offense and he made it happen on both. Him & Henry have been out two biggest weapons in the passing game imo. Both have made some big time catches the last few weeks.

Meyers made a huge catch and had a nice first half. He also had a great block on Bourne's TD. It also shows you don't have to kill a guy to make a great block. Sometimes it's just getting in the way, taking up a lane and most importantly not getting a flag.

I thought Mills could have shown better effort on a run play outside but he made some big plays today. A few pass breakups and a fumble recovery that was right on the sideline. Tough play but we needed that and he came up big.

Barmore is starting to draw a crowd and not just by design. Teams are noticing him and know his name. He drew a few doubles and at least one triple team. I'm going to keep saying. I want us to make it a priority to get him and Judon some help.

The TD at the end of the first was a potential killer. Just don't understand how we come out so light there. I could be wrong but we had 1 IDL in there? HT couldn't get off his block. Not sure if it was a 3S look but they ran on us when we came out light. Some misdirection and disguise outside and lots of power up the middle.

Sure we gave up 200+ on the ground but Tenn wasn't rolling over today. Sure some of those guys are "no names" but that also plays in their favor a little as we've never seen half these guys before. How many times have we prepared for Hillard, Foreman and Westbrook lol?? Tenn came to play and made it a point to show that their OL can play and they belong in the AFC top tier.

This was a great win imo. We should have won and won by double digits and we did! Tennessee is banged up beyond belief but they still are well coached and have a lot good players. Also don't count out how tough it is to win and win against a team that is wounded. That has their back against the wall. Not easy at all. Final score didn't tell the whole story but we made it happen against a good team.

I hate complaining about the refs bc they usually suck for both sides but they have been bad this year. Idk it could be me but they've been bad, lazy.

Fun fact: Bourne was teammates with Cooper Kupp EWU (Samson Ebukam too) and while there put up more than respectable #'s. Multiple 70 + rec years and came 2 yards with back to back 1k season. Over 200 rec's and 3K yards while he was there. Almost 30 TD. Not bad at all. The guy can clearly play ball and has been great so far.

Titans IOL had a day. C & RG put in put. Washing defenders out of the play. Climbing and clearing the second level. They took out our LB's all day, way too easy reaching the second level. They had a day.

Titans IOL had a day. C & RG put in put. Washing defenders out of the play. Climbing and clearing the second level. They took out our LB's all day, way too easy reaching the second level. They had a day.

there is a holding on Van Noy and one on Phillips, on both runs there were holdings that seem never to get called, yes the Pats D struggles to get of the blocker but its also often a blatant holding which is not called, but the frustrating thing is that at least 1 such holding is called on the Pats every game preferbly when there is a huge run, which is very annoying

Barmore is starting to draw a crowd and not just by design. Teams are noticing him and know his name. He drew a few doubles and at least one triple team. I'm going to keep saying. I want us to make it a priority to get him and Judon some help.

The TD at the end of the first was a potential killer. Just don't understand how we come out so light there. I could be wrong but we had 1 IDL in there? HT couldn't get off his block. Not sure if it was a 3S look but they ran on us when we came out light. Some misdirection and disguise outside and lots of power up the middle.

Sure we gave up 200+ on the ground but Tenn wasn't rolling over today. Sure some of those guys are "no names" but that also plays in their favor a little as we've never seen half these guys before. How many times have we prepared for Hillard, Foreman and Westbrook lol?? Tenn came to play and made it a point to show that their OL can play and they belong in the AFC top tier.

Yep, and that one & only DT was Barmore... Not Guy, or Godsmack, or even Carl Davis... Just a really ill-conceived, ill-prepared alignment that Mayo & Billy-Ray Cy... er, Steve Belichick sent out there.

To the Titties' credit, I did like D'Onta Foreman coming out of UTexas during the 2017 draft... Not as much as Houston did (89th overall), but I thought he was a solid 4th-round prospect nonetheless... Just goes to show that if you really, really want it and are willing to go through all the travel, workouts, practice squads, promotions/demotions, releases & waivers, then you just might be one day at the right place at the right time...

Fun fact: Bourne was teammates with Cooper Kupp EWU (Samson Ebukam too) and while there put up more than respectable #'s. Multiple 70 + rec years and came 2 yards with back to back 1k season. Over 200 rec's and 3K yards while he was there. Almost 30 TD. Not bad at all. The guy can clearly play ball and has been great so far.

Great posts BGC.

I love Riddick for his positive Patriots takes, but I have a hard time listening to him on Monday Night Football because I think his takes are not insightful, just common sense comments full of flowery language taken to extremes for emphasis like, "Most underappreciated player in the NFL", "Greatest left guard no-one has ever heard of", or "He will be a household name soon". So even though I like Riddick's positive Patriots stick, I have to say Riddick's commentary is worthless IMO.

Early in the year everyone was ripping the Dolphins for taking Waddle.

I knew that was an incredibly dumb take. All these pundits are idiots.

Waddle had a broken ankle at Alabama so picking him so early was a risk. It worked out and I am glad for Waddle, but it was not a bad take to be weary about taking a guy in the Top 10 with an unproven broken ankle. It was a risk that work out OK. We will miss J Jones on Waddle when we play Miami later this year.

there is a holding on Van Noy and one on Phillips, on both runs there were holdings that seem never to get called, yes the Pats D struggles to get of the blocker but its also often a blatant holding which is not called, but the frustrating thing is that at least 1 such holding is called on the Pats every game preferbly when there is a huge run, which is very annoying
Yea I said it a few times and hate harping on it bc I'm sure we got away with a few but yea they misses several obvious holding calls.
Great posts BGC.

I love Riddick for his positive Patriots takes, but I have a hard time listening to him on Monday Night Football because I think his takes are not insightful, just common sense comments full of flowery language taken to extremes for emphasis like, "Most underappreciated player in the NFL", "Greatest left guard no-one has ever heard of", or "He will be a household name soon". So even though I like Riddick's positive Patriots stick, I have to say Riddick's commentary is worthless IMO.
Lol you hear Troy Aikman last night say Robert Woods was a top 3 WR? And i love Woods.
Hey BGC...not a bad day's work in here...for a construction laborer with a rutabaga and onion farm that pales in comparison to the true "Knower Of Things" here at Patsfans....
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
A true see'r of all things - that saw stuff no one else could see.

Hopefully Fruit-loop Flutie is well.
Early in the year everyone was ripping the Dolphins for taking Waddle.

I knew that was an incredibly dumb take. All these pundits are idiots.
Waddle had a broken ankle at Alabama so picking him so early was a risk. It worked out and I am glad for Waddle, but it was not a bad take to be weary about taking a guy in the Top 10 with an unproven broken ankle. It was a risk that work out OK. We will miss J Jones on Waddle when we play Miami later this year.
You have to do your due diligence and air everything out. You can't ignore the obvious, have to keep an open mind while having some conviction.

I understand the concerns about Waddle but there was nothing there imo, to scare me or not like.

The ankle is what is. Some guys you worry about, especially with reoccurring injuries or biggies like ACL. Waddle had a few dings but that's going to happen. Idk again it's worth bringing up and absolutely real but just not moving the needle for me that much.

Like DeVonta Smith. You definitely talk about his size and how it could effect him but it's just not a deal breaker. Both are smaller guys in terms of weight but gifted in several other areas.

What a class it's been. More than a few guys making an impact.

Small sample size, but all I can think about is how those other seasons ended after we had those dominant streaks.
I know and unfortunately remember.

The landscape in the AFC is so ridiculous though. I look around and see a few teams that can beat you when everything is going right. Peak Balty or KC is scary but we just haven't seen the consistency overall - Both defense's are incredibly suspect and have issues on offense.

I just don't see a lot of teams that can beat you multiple ways that are playing that well. Cinci looks as good if not better than most are giving them credit for. I'm probably as scared of then as anyone tbh.

Anyway yeah it just seems wide open. It's December it'll close up quick even in the playoffs I think we'd play the Chargers if they were this weekend? I could be wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: jah

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back