PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

This isn't a good punt. The goal isn't a touchback from a line drive.

The goal is to punt it as high and far as you can while placing your opponent as close to the goal line as possible. You do that with hang time and allowing your gunners to get down there to collect the punt.

It's far, but there's not a lot of touch on it, or air under it... and it traveled some distance off the bounce and the gunners had no chance to collect it on the one yard line.

This isn't a good punt. The goal isn't a touchback from a line drive.

The goal is to punt it as high and far as you can while placing your opponent as close to the goal line as possible. You do that with hang time and allowing your gunners to get down there to collect the punt.

It's far, but there's not a lot of touch on it, or air under it... and it traveled some distance off the bounce and the gunners had no chance to collect it on the one yard line.
Eh, I disagree. Considering the field position, it is a 'good' punt.

It's not a great punt, certainly not OMGPUNTGOD punt. But it's fine. You'll take a 62 yard net, when you're punting from inside your 20.

Eh, I disagree. Considering the field position, it is a 'good' punt.

It's not a great punt, certainly not OMGPUNTGOD punt. But it's fine. You'll take a 62 yard net, when you're punting from inside your 20.
Ten yards fewer, more hang time and he places his opponent inside their ten or five yard line. It’s about field position.

Ten yards fewer, more hang time and he places his opponent inside their ten or five yard line. It’s about field position.
That would be worthy of a great punt, yes. No one's going to turn their nose up at a 62 yard net punt from inside your own 20 though. It's a good punt. Hang time matters, and that one had none. You're right, hang it up, make them make a fair catch - maybe he fumbles, maybe it takes a bounce and they can down it at the 3. But the result was 'good'. Not great. Not amazing. Good.

"The God Punt" is ridiculous.

A long rant in Reddit I thought was interesting (maybe they are at patsfans.com as well)...

What Bill said...

"Just depends on what defense they're in and what formation we're in and things like that. When you're putting in one play, you emphasize and run that and then you go to something else and then you emphasize that. So, just happened to work out the sequence that we put in the zone runs first, but we've put in plenty of gap plays and we'll run those, too."

Thought this was interesting - from Mike Reiss today who talked to those “familiar with Belichick’s thinking” (and given the credibility Reiss has built over the years, I’m thinking this is more of Robert / Jonathan Kraft than Michael Felger….):

Witnessing the challenging transition sparked obvious questions: Why tear down an offense that Jones thrived in as a rookie? And what exactly are the changes that players are struggling to adjust to?

The primary motivation for the change, according to those familiar with Belichick's thinking, was to make it easier on players. The volume of the old system had grown so much over 20-plus years -- with Tom Brady a huge part of it, and then specific Cam Newton-based wrinkles in 2020 adding another layer to navigate -- so the time seemed right to streamline it and return more to the original roots.

Altering verbiage is arguably the most significant part of that change. Many things no longer carry the same meaning, so offensive players are learning a new language and the rules/responsibilities that come along with it.
Mac Jones, Patriots express confidence in 'new offense' despite growing pains

This isn’t directly football-related but Matt Chatham really needs to get a f*cking life. He consistently clogs up this site’s Twitter string with political arguments. These “arguments“ principally consist of him telling anyone who is not a progressive that they are idiots.

I’m not a Trump fan but that guy is obsessed with DJT and he comes off as an arrogant, supercilious douchebag. Chatham is supposed to be married with children but seems to spend most of his day tweeting mostly about Trump, with occasional tweets his grill/smoker, his dog or sometimes even football. His “My opinion is always the right one and I’m smartest guy on twitter” attitude is very off-putting and makes me much less interested in any actual football insights that he has.

@Ian, is there anyway to block his tweets from the twitter feed here? Probably not but I thought that I would ask anyway.

This isn’t directly football-related but Matt Chatham really needs to get a f*cking life. He consistently clogs up this site’s Twitter string with political arguments. These “arguments“ principally consist of him telling anyone who is not a progressive that they are idiots.

I’m not a Trump fan but that guy is obsessed with DJT and he comes off as an arrogant, supercilious douchebag. Chatham is supposed to be married with children but seems to spend most of his day tweeting mostly about Trump, with occasional tweets his grill/smoker, his dog or sometimes even football. His “My opinion is always the right one and I’m smartest guy on twitter” attitude is very off-putting and makes me much less interested in any actual football insights that he has.

@Ian, is there anyway to block his tweets from the twitter feed here? Probably not but I thought that I would ask anyway.
I’m here daily…sometimes hourly like some. I haven’t seen a Chatham tweet since last season. Maybe I am sheltered…a shut-in if you will.

Last edited:
I’m here daily…sometimes hourly like some. I haven’t seen a Chatham tweet since last season. Maybe I am sheltered…a shut-in if you will.

26F03BCE-B52C-4FB7-8C15-C9F74FB32165.jpeg
By “twitter feed” I mean this site function (circled in red above), not posts the actual threads. When I am busy, I may quickly click on this to see if there is any “breaking” news or interesting sports-related tweets. Chatham’s tweets are posted all the time and they are rarely about football. It’s mostly some variation of “Trump is the devil, you’re a moron and now I’m blocking you”. It’s really tiresome, even for anti-MAGA moderate like myself.

Last edited:

Understandable. Nothing in Florida compares to a Raspberry-Lime Rickey at Brigham’s (RIP) followed by a matinee movie at Loring Theatre on a hot summer day.

Understandable. Nothing in Florida compares to a Raspberry-Lime Rickey at Brigham’s (RIP) followed by a matinee movie at Loring Theatre on a hot summer day.
I dig this. I miss Brigham’s…chocolate ice cream soda.

Last edited:
The only political post I have seen in this forum in a while is yours.

The only political post I have seen in this forum in a while is yours.
81D8D786-CBF7-4A60-AFED-6B7C004B24BA.jpeg
not referring to posts in the main forum threads….

You, of all people, telling someone else on the internet passionately discussing things that interest them, “to get a life”, is the pinnacle of irony.

“Honey, did you get the milk yet?”

“No, sorry, I am finishing a paragraph on Chatham being an annoying f*ck for speaking his mind on the internet, and then I have a 500 word quota on Meyers’ catch rate afterwards”.

Jokes aside, far be it from me to rag on someone else for expressing their opinion on the internet. Lord knows I do that plenty myself.

I personally haven’t noticed Chatham’s tweets in the right-hand feed hardly at all, probably because I don’t pay that much attention to the feed, and maybe because Chatham doesn’t tweet as frequently as you suggest. Seems easy enough to ignore the Twitter feed on your own while still using the full functionality of the forum.

Yea let's take a deep breath guys. Matt Chatham would be the 11th best poster here if he logged in.

You, of all people, telling someone else on the internet passionately discussing things that interest them, “to get a life”, is the pinnacle of irony.

“Honey, did you get the milk yet?”

“No, sorry, I am finishing a paragraph on Chatham being an annoying f*ck for speaking his mind on the internet, and then I have a 500 word quota on Meyers’ catch rate afterwards”.

Jokes aside, far be it from me to rag on someone else for expressing their opinion on the internet. Lord knows I do that plenty myself.

I personally haven’t noticed Chatham’s tweets in the right-hand feed hardly at all, probably because I don’t pay that much attention to the feed, and maybe because Chatham doesn’t tweet as frequently as you suggest. Seems easy enough to ignore the Twitter feed on your own while still using the full functionality of the forum.

A Pats fan can accomplish a lot on this site when his 15-week-old daughter prefers his shoulder to the crib for daytime naps.

Didn’t mean to offend you, Matt. You were a hell of a special teams player in your day but you’re an arrogant d-bag on Twitter.

Also, how did you know that we are put of milk?

View attachment 44009
My daughter’s onesies arrived yesterday. She’s all in. The rest of the league is f*cked now.
I’m not real sure about your eyes. I think you need to goto optometrist and get check out for color blindness. Jest-puke green and doubling down on pink-hat-ism.

JK. The middle one is best.But one royal blue out of 3 wouldn’t have hurt anything.

best wishes for quiet nights soon. Lol

@Patsgofor4: Not sure if Ian implemented this within the past couple hours (since you asked), but it's actually quite easy to adjust the right-hand Twitter feed settings.

There is a rectangular black button with white font reading "CUSTOMIZE" at the header of the feed. Upon clicking that button, you can then individually select which Patriots' players and/or media members you'd like included in the right-hand side Twitter feed.

f7f2eba165.png

11a831ec46.png

Last edited:
And on the topic (then I'll stop hijacking BGC's thread), Stephon Gilmore (Colts :yuck:) and Cole Croston (free-agent) are both listed under the players' feed section. Presumably they should be removed since they are no longer with the team. @Ian

Pats have used this in the past with Nink. Semi coffee house stunt where a defender fakes or makes like he's going into coverage. Maybe it's the games I've watched but these mugs looks seem to be popular. Zimmer lived off them. Lethal for a rookie in his first preseason game lol.

*edit* I don't believe this is likely but think there's a small chance at it happening. Baltimore is going to either pay a crap ton of money or become irrelevant short term without Jackson.

Minnesota, Miami and Detroit all could be a QB away on offense.

Jackson, Cook, Jefferson, AT

Jackson, Waddle, Hill, Mostert

Jackson, Swift, ASTB, Williams, Hock

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back