PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I appreciate the thoughtful response. And I don’t necessarily disagree with all, or even any, of your points. From my perspective, here is my concern:

- lots of restructuring of contracts can be done, but are there any players you’d be willing to risk potential excess future dead money over if they don’t work out? I think Mills is the one guy I’d do it with in a heartbeat, he was everything they expected and then some. Judon? We have ri be really certain that his fall off as both a pass rusher and run defender was circumstance related and not him coming back down to earth.
Agholor? Not sure if he performed well enough to warrant that future risk. Henry? Possibly, I suppose.

Teams can restructure the players contract, changing Salary to SB without the player agreeing to it though most do because they get the money up front and it lessens the tax burden when playing in other states.

Candidates for that:
Judon, Henry, Smith, Mills., Bourne

Candidates for Extensions.
Mason, McCourty, Jon Jones, Godchaux, Agholor

Candidates to be Cut:
Agholor, Godchaux, Van Noy, Guy, Anderson,

- the other thing is these restructuring will take away from the 2023 cap (which is plentiful now), and I’d wonder if they would rather use the 2023 cap on newer in-their-prime players at that time after one more offseason of reloading through the draft?

We have ZERO idea what the 2023 cap will look like. Why? Because that's when the money from the new TV contracts comes into play. Speculation is anywhere from a 20M-40M jump from 2023. OverTheCap is projecting a modest jump of just 18M with the Pats having 111M to play with. So pushing 10-20 millon into 2023 really isn't going to hurt anything.
- JC certainly played like a top tier QB for much of the year. But they also stopped playing man coverage as much toward the end, and JC had his worst game against Buffalo. Maybe the lack of man coverage was the lack of any capable CBs once Jones was out and Mills went on COVID. Plus the Dugger injury impacting the entire secondary. If that’s the case, then great. I just wonder if Bill didn’t fully trust JC, and if his Buffalo game only validated that lack of trust?

- As you note, they do have a lot of holes. Maybe Bill thinks someone is undervalued and improperly utilized now in FA. Big thing is I think Bill wants to ensure he doesn’t have any holes on the roster, rather than maximizing the top tier talent at certain positions. Meaning, he’d like JC, but given the choice he’d rather sign 2 cheap CBs and a cheap LB than just JC, to ensure teams don’t salivate and target players like Ross, Bryant, and Williams when they’re out there.

Just my opinion though. As I said, your argument is very sound. It all comes down to Bill’s view of Jackson’s abilities versus other alternatives. I hope you’re right.

We both know that Bill doesn't play "maybes". Take a look at the CBs available who are in the same age as Jackson.
Kevin King, Chavarius Ward, Desmond King, Chandon Sullivan, Mike Hughes, Sidney Jones, Tre Herndon, Levi Wallace, Vernon Hargraves, Donte Jackson, Eli Apple, Fabian Moreau, Carlton Davis, Artie Burns, Anthony Averrett, DJ Reed.

Looking at PFF, some of them seem like OK downgrades, but when you look at their ACTUAL numbers, you realize just how much of a downgrade they are..

Carlton Davis is going to be looking for big bucks. So is Ward. Eli Apple is a headcase.

Also, the one that Bill didn't have a number one CB in 2009 and tried to go the route of "fill-ins" it didn't work out so well. It's what led to the drafting of McCourty..

You should really look at Miguel's information because they aren't as tight against the cap as you think. Miguel mentioned they could easily free up more than enough to TAG Jackson and put RFA tenders on Meyers, Johnson and Olszewski.

17.8M isn't "all that cap space" when you consider that the top 3 salaries are over 19M.

The MASSIVE problem with your thinking is that Jackson IS a top 5 CB in the league. The stats prove it. The Patriots don't have anyone on the roster who could take over as the #1 CB. Their depth at CB is wanting. Williams made some strides this season, but hasn't shown he can take over on a regular basis on the outside. Wade is an UNKNOWN. The Patriots don't have a ton of draft capital this year, currently only having 6 picks and with no Comp picks heading their way. They have too many OTHER holes that need to be addressed. And that money isn't going to do it.

They need to replace Bentley, HT and Collins. Preferably Van Noy as well. They need to replace Davis and Anderson as well. They have a hole at either RT or LG to fix depending on what they do with Michel Onwenu.

Now, you're probably thinking that I just made your case. Well, that's not correct. Because when you look at what's available in Free Agency at those positions, there aren't a lot of upgrades (if any) there that can be gotten on the cheap. Hell, the drop off is pretty large from Jackson to other CBs who are available for the price they'd be available for.

All that being said, I've believed that they would get a long term deal done. I've stated a few times that I felt anywhere from 4/$65M - 5/90M would get it done. Especially if they gave him guarantees in the 66% of the contract range.

Setting your cute SlowJuan delusions aside, my GM question would be: why waste 17.3M guaranteed on a one yr rental - when you are still in the middle of REBUILD?

I understand (and respect) BB wants to win every game but Thuney's wasted FT Cap in a wasted yr would buy quite a few nice long term contracts. The difference (albeit small) is they were not fully rebuilding yet when they signed him.

They miscalculated, possibly mismanaged Gilmore situation so BB put himself in a bit of a tough spot letting both starting CB leave/hit FA but I hope they think it through better this time. I wont be surprised if they play him under tag but long term deal even if with slightly lesser talent (or high trade, high draft pick) would be my suggestion. Then there's the familiar udfa road..

In any case - rebuilding CB is the biggest task, Q and key of this offseason. If they want to play man again at least..

Teams can restructure the players contract, changing Salary to SB without the player agreeing to it though most do because they get the money up front and it lessens the tax burden when playing in other states.

Candidates for that:
Judon, Henry, Smith, Mills., Bourne

Candidates for Extensions.
Mason, McCourty, Jon Jones, Godchaux, Agholor

Candidates to be Cut:
Agholor, Godchaux, Van Noy, Guy, Anderson,

We have ZERO idea what the 2023 cap will look like. Why? Because that's when the money from the new TV contracts comes into play. Speculation is anywhere from a 20M-40M jump from 2023. OverTheCap is projecting a modest jump of just 18M with the Pats having 111M to play with. So pushing 10-20 millon into 2023 really isn't going to hurt anything.

We both know that Bill doesn't play "maybes". Take a look at the CBs available who are in the same age as Jackson.
Kevin King, Chavarius Ward, Desmond King, Chandon Sullivan, Mike Hughes, Sidney Jones, Tre Herndon, Levi Wallace, Vernon Hargraves, Donte Jackson, Eli Apple, Fabian Moreau, Carlton Davis, Artie Burns, Anthony Averrett, DJ Reed.

Looking at PFF, some of them seem like OK downgrades, but when you look at their ACTUAL numbers, you realize just how much of a downgrade they are..

Carlton Davis is going to be looking for big bucks. So is Ward. Eli Apple is a headcase.

Also, the one that Bill didn't have a number one CB in 2009 and tried to go the route of "fill-ins" it didn't work out so well. It's what led to the drafting of McCourty..

I agree that we are weak at CB. If we lose JC Jackson, we are very weak at CB. We are also weak at DL. We are not too far away but we need a couple of dominant defensive lineman and corner backs. It will be interesting to see what BB does. Have to hope that McGrone, Perkins, McMillain, Uche, or Jennings can step up. I think Guy, Anderson, and Winovich are gone. Need a great draft and maybe a FA or two.

Hey Cap'n, 5th year option period opened on the 10th. They have until May 2 to exercise it on N'keal Harry. Are you on pins and needles?

And they'll have to franchise Bentley in a few weeks. THink he's worth the tag?

I think the Pats will wait to franchise Harry until they first see his latest workout video on MyFace...

And if there were two franchise tags to be awarded, I'm sure that Bentley would receive the other after JC.

Setting your cute SlowJuan delusions aside, my GM question would be: why waste 17.3M guaranteed on a one yr rental - when you are still in the middle of REBUILD?

I understand (and respect) BB wants to win every game but Thuney's wasted FT Cap in a wasted yr would buy quite a few nice long term contracts. The difference (albeit small) is they were not fully rebuilding yet when they signed him.

They miscalculated, possibly mismanaged Gilmore situation so BB put himself in a bit of a tough spot letting both starting CB leave/hit FA but I hope they think it through better this time. I wont be surprised if they play him under tag but long term deal even if with slightly lesser talent (or high trade, high draft pick) would be my suggestion. Then there's the familiar udfa road..

In any case - rebuilding CB is the biggest task, Q and key of this offseason. If they want to play man again at least..

There is no Williams delusion. Sorry that FACTS get in the way of your ridiculous opinion.

Really? They miscalculated/mismanaged Gilmore situation? Oh do tell.

Try using actual facts and not unsubstantiated opinion for a change..

Very good point about marrying talent and scheme. But my money this offseason would be on scheme (and talent development).
This is something that goes unsaid and almoat pushed to the side. I'm just not sure we have enough clay to mold so to speak in terms of talent.
Id be quite surprised if they indeed invest serious resources here esp. IDL. They invested significantly last year - trade up in the 2-rd of Draft and mid-upper FA signing (2y/15M) - to get their two top IDLs. I know people like to **** on God (and then suggest replacements who played to the same level or often worse) but he did ok - certainly improvement on what was here over quite some time (Shelton, Brown..). He was not my choice last FA, i suggested Tomlinson that in the end wasnt so much more expensive but asked for double guaranteed $ that Pats preferred to invest elsewhere. God's deal was backloaded so of course this yrs price tag for him is high. Id sooner believe they will extend him (3.5M savings incl top 51 rule) than cut him (4.1M savings).
God wasn't bad and certainly got too much heat at times but he also was average in a difficult scheme with little around him. Him and Guy were just too average and inconsistent at times. Again I want them on my team but what we're asking is just too much on them.
FA picture isnt special either. Younger - good/promising but not special - guys (BJ Hill, Phillips, DJ Jones, Settle, Fatu, J-Day) will mostly have high price tags, older top one yr rentals are a waste of Cap at this point of rebuild imo. Id love Hicks back but im not sure he'll be there for NE w his last chance at decent contract..
I'd love Hicks and Barmore together.
The point to keep in mind is this is only the start of year 2 of rebuild. Year 1 was as good as one could hope for (starting QB on rookie contract, good Draft, some solid vet FA pieces on long term contracts) but there is still way to go and it would normally take at least two further solid off-seasons. Look at Bills, SF, Rams, others before. Cincy is ahead of schedule but they were also extremely lucky (and im not even sure they'd beat NE).
If this was close to finished product id agree about IDL, but for this year id build up foundational pieces elsewhere: they are losing key players at LB, CB and S and there was not much depth there to start with..
Yup we're ahead of schedule ourselves imo. Obviously we need to keep Mac progressing and max him out but we're not in bad shape for year one after losing a legend.
Inconsistency was baffling i agree. LBs didn't help either though. As far as i could see God has good tackle radius.
I think God can play well with Barmore in y2. The Q is what to do with Guy (1M salary guaranteed on March 19. His regression was obvious this yr and it hurt God as well). Then again the whole team disappeared after the bye so personnel is just one bit of a big puzzle..
This team was a little weird and what happened was definitely noticeable. Even before we hit the "big" wall it seemed we hit a "little" one. Mental toughness has to improve next year. Not often you're saying that about a NEP team.
We tend to look at our players and esp. their mistakes with magnifying glass bc the same could be said for 90% of NFL IDLs. Agreed that what BB wants to play asks more. As said I believe it will be combo of development of God, Barmore, Ekuale & possibly upgrade of Guy + better LB, DB group/help + adjusted scheme. After JJ was out for the season early and Gilmore didn't want to commit it was clear this was not a sustainable man covg team anymore that had to play lots of zone with heavy LBs..
Not sure if we agree about the IDL situation I think we definitely need a fix there in another body. Don't think we can coach up one of God or Guy to be that guy we need tbh.

As much **** as our LB get they weren't terrible in coverage. Middle of the pack in terms of giving up yards. 260 for Bentley and 300 for HT. Sound spot dropping in zone and we don't ask a ton of coverage tasks from them to begin with.
It is very rare BB goes for same position high two consecutive drafts esp. if they hit. He will be intrigued about Davis size for sure but i doubt he'll see anything close to Vince or Vea to pull the trigger.
This will be a exciting first two rounds bc we can go a lot of places and have a few clear needs imo. Don't see a lot of tackles that fit our bill. It'll be interesting with everything going on.
Anyhow - great read - but i believe we'll get back to this next year when IDL FA looks stronger at the top (+ good top tier trade options of 2023 FA class) and Pats should have plenty of Cap Space to attack what i hope to be final big touches of rebuilding the contender.

What this line does need to properly function is Flowers or someone in that mold. So sign me up for Leal, Karlaftis, Walker, Jermaine Johnson, Hall..
Oh brother c'mon man. Don't get my hopes up with the RUSH guys. Give me all of them. Would you trade up for Karlaftis if he fell past top 10?
ps
thanks for the Peevy tip
Yeah Peevy reminds me of Butler but a better run defender.

Always appreciate your post man. Like hearing your thoughts.

I think the Pats will wait to franchise Harry until they first see his latest workout video on MyFace...

And if there were two franchise tags to be awarded, I'm sure that Bentley would receive the other after JC.
At least Bentley acts like he wants to be on the field.

Oh brother c'mon man. Don't get my hopes up with the RUSH guys. Give me all of them. Would you trade up for Karlaftis if he fell past top 10?

I really think big ED pusher/rusher, run monster on the opposite side of Judon was missing. Wise started well and then faded, but he is more of a situational player, not the early down stud they need imo. Anderson didn't look up to it, KVN is of course not that guy either.

If Flowers gets cut im sure BB will try to bring him back but there are many BB disciples around it might not be easy despite inj.

Otherwise I do think DE will be high on the Draft list. FA looks meh and will be too expensive anyway & next year DE draft not as strong, deep as this yr esp. w big guys it seems (you know better).

I really like Karlaftis for NE from the few tapes ive been able to see - and he might be worth it - the thing is im in “Rebuild year 2“ mode (maybe much more than BB even) so unless something crazy happens (Hutchinson out of top 10..) i would trade down if i can. One of the top PTP guys might still be there at the bottom of 1st and you get an extra Day 2 pick. They could use a couple more picks wo compensatories this yr..

I also think PTP bigger edges might drop a bit - most of the league prefers speedsters & some will just have to go QB..

From what Ive seen so far there are few “blue chips“ in this Draft and plenty similar guys so hopefully BB/EW can thrive.

Always appreciate your post man. Like hearing your thoughts.

Right back at you x2. Looking forward to 2022 ride ..

This is really unbelievable. This is touching and impacts multiple teams, big name coaches and obviously the league. Flores HAS to come correct and be willing to see this through. If he can prove even 25% of this it's a game changer. Dumb fans want to tank around draft time. Now you might have an owner admitting this lol! There's so much to unpack but this is blank and white. It's a headline and something everyone can grasp. This could be a earthquake if Flores has emails, texts and maybe a witness or two come out. This is big though. NFL looks bad on a good day. This is horrifying for them.

This exchange is legendary.
"I ****ed this up" ... "Thanks Bill" !!!!!!!!!
IMG_20220201_190719.jpg
So unbelievable. I really can't believe these two grown men had this exchange.

Flores is all in
IMG_20220201_191002.jpg

IMG_20220201_191046.jpgIMG_20220201_191237.png

I'm not sure what this says about "tanking." On one hand you have an NFL owner who is willing to speak Chinese and his quarterbacks headset to lose a game. But the head coach isn't having it. What about when the coach isn't Flores? I bet most would react in the same way. Once you do that you lose all credibility but not every coach is as strong as Flores.

Even before he left for Miami he was one of my favorites. Had his finger in every pie. Always carried himself with confidence and respect. I get similar vibes from Covington. I feel for Flores. He had his "enough is enough" moment. I respect it.

I'm not sure what this says about "tanking." On one hand you have an NFL owner who is willing to speak Chinese and his quarterbacks headset to lose a game. But the head coach isn't having it. What about when the coach isn't Flores? I bet most would react in the same way. Once you do that you lose all credibility but not every coach is as strong as Flores.

Even before he left for Miami he was one of my favorites. Had his finger in every pie. Always carried himself with confidence and respect. I get similar vibes from Covington. I feel for Flores. He had his "enough is enough" moment. I respect it.

Yep, principled people are ****ed even harder than coloured..

The „Rooney Rule“ was always programmed for this (sham interviews). We knew it when it was issued. It should be abolished. Then guys know they are being called seriously w real interest.

now, the later addition of giving draft picks to teams w actual minority hires; that IMO would actually be a good positive motivation. rule to keep. sure there will still be favorite son hires and call it ‚white preference‘ hires if you want; but majority of teams will take advantage of it if a 50-50 cointoss.

The few owners who may actually be prejudiced will stick out like sore thumbs after a while.

Stop drafting RB's early. 2nd overall to 4th round pick lol.

Cutting Cooper to hang onto a 90M RB who can't break 4 per carry.

“When I played them, from what I can remember, (Bill Belichick) usually would put man coverage (with) a safety over the top and scheme me, do things like that,” Anderson, admitted he considered signing wit the Patriots, told reporters. “Kind of take me out of the picture. He even told me that, too. Last year when I was in free agency, he tried to get me to sign. He was like, ‘I’m tired of scheming against you. I’m tired of going against you.”

Last edited:

Meh

Swapping Agholor for Anderson would be pretty much like for like, I don't see it strengthening us to where it's worth it

“When I played them, from what I can remember, (Bill Belichick) usually would put man coverage (with) a safety over the top and scheme me, do things like that,” Anderson, admitted he considered signing wit the Patriots, told reporters. “Kind of take me out of the picture. He even told me that, too. Last year when I was in free agency, he tried to get me to sign. He was like, ‘I’m tired of scheming against you. I’m tired of going against you.”

I don't want that fuc-king psychopath anywhere near my fuc-king building.

Typical Little Billy Notgoat bullsh!t... Think OchoStinko & Phat Albert, among others... And this would be NO Randy Moss situation, so don't nobody even bother bringing that up...

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back