PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Honestly have no idea what's going on with Jennings. None.

I think it's possible McGrone can contribute but making a serious impact is doubtful imo bc he was really raw in coverage for example. I like him a lot but think we could see real growing pains early on. I think experience is his biggest weakness.

I love Perk. He's a nasty dude that plays with a ton of passion. Big time motor. I'm hopeful he contributes for sure. Just something about him. Definitely a football player through and through.

I was hoping Uche would have a future off the ball at LB but don't think the switch is possible now. Not sure he's physical or crafty enough to win in the trenches as a LB. I'm more than happy with him just rushing the passer. Same for Wino but Bill feels differently. Not everyone has to be a Swiss army knife but those can absolutely rush the passer.

Those two bother me a lot and I'm sure others as well. Not world beaters but both can play in the league.
Some guys are saying ILB isn’t a big need because they count Perkins mcgrone and mcmillan in but I don’t expect much out of them next season. Mcgrone and Perkins are more like rookies than second year players due to injuries lack of training and no game experience. We can’t count on them solving our Lb issue. McMillan was injured the whole season hope he is healthy I think he could beat out Bentley if resigned. BB needs to overthink the LB group in all areas. Draft, Type of LB etc. We used two thirds and one second on guys who currently are not contributing and I have not much confidence wino and Uche will play a lot more next season , I believe wino could be traded or should. Jennings played in the covid season and now missed the whole year , he needs a lot of time probably. Bentley and HT showed this year they aren’t the answer going forward. Bentley should play a Backup Role imo and HT could retire easily.
I believe Bill should move on from Ht Bentley and Collins but I expect him to bring back Bentley.
I can’t figure out why Uche isn’t playing some off the Ball duties. He is by far our most athletic guy and can tackle well, we had nobody like him on the roster this season , I can’t believe he would be worse as an off the ball LB than what we sometimes had on the field.
If BB keeps playing 3 DT I think we don’t need two 250 pound LB and can afford one like Dean

@Tunescribe @50-yard-line and others this is what I was talking about. Sorry been busy and falling asleep almost any time I hit the bed. Nothing ground breaking but scheme & talent are at a crossroads of sorts imo. We definitely need an upgrade at 0/NT and another 5T.

The Pats are multiple and obviously do a lot of different things on both sides of the ball. I just wanted to take a look at few things we run, ask of our players and what's needed to succeed in that scheme.

Feel free to add or bring up something I haven't that you want to talk about.

Defense - old school / new school - Odd / single high

DL / IDL
- To me, this group needs a lot of attention going forward. I think there's a good case for priority #1 in either FA, the draft or even a trade going forward for a few different reasons.Talent and scheme, as they often are. Are really tied together here imho. We've always used an okie front but the task and talent is causing execution to suffer. Okie and Tite are similar, we and others use both as "go-to's" at times to stop the run. Okie = outside the tackles shoulders (below) and Tite = inside the tackles shoulders. They're ways to stop the run while giving up a little pass rush.

View attachment 40180

View attachment 40181

In okie (above) 505 we'll usually play contain / 2 gap with one DT while slanting or rushing the other inside or outside the tackle. Same for the OLB, usually contain and rush. NT will two gap or be reading the backfield. LB's take on the G's / pullers while we have a Saf rotate down. For the most part, almost everything has a variation. It's @patfanken old old school and a tough ask. We're like top 3-5 playing in an odd front with single high. Not many teams are playing an odd front with single for volume.

The problem(s), for starters, is our IDL - across the board aren't holding up.
Certain players always get singled out, its inevitable but that's why the A22 is great even though it's a **** product to watch. Honestly our whole IDL was inconsistent all year but at least we know Barmore is trending up. We couldn't beat combo blocks, got washed against zone - guys got turned around way too easy against zone runs and couldn't recover. Besides Barmore none have a big tackle radius.

I mentioned this in my other post and I could be off but I definitely feel like I notice something against certain types of teams. It's not black and white. We don't win against this type and lose against another. It's not that simple and I could be wrong. We tend to handle and excel against certain types, maybe smaller OL's, teams that run spread (Falcons, Chargers, Jete)? And have been struggling against more bully types. Ones that are used to setting a tone, making it a fight. You'll tend to struggle more against better comp, more physical teams but thought I'd bring it up in any case if anyone else had a similar thought. Again not black & white it's not an every time thing. And I could be wrong but I think it speaks to the DL / IDL a little bit.

Let's take the Tennessee game for example. We played base almost half the snaps. Like 45% that game give or take. And we still had backups running for 200+ yards when we put our big boys up front in okie. Sure some things are like a barter system - give & take but again we obviously put all our run stoppers out there and played base almost half the game. Can't ignore the obvious there.

One of the problems, again imo is playing teams that have a real identity in certain areas. Tough physical teams that run and excel at running duo or inside zone will double our 0 and 5T and it's a downhill battle after that bc we simply don't have guys that can consistently beat combo blocks / double teams. Again this goes back to scheme & talent in some regards. We're asking guys who can't consistently beat doubles to do so often. Guy, God & Davis aren't bad players. They're really not, they're average players that teeter on that cusp going a little over and under. They're just not tier 1 or 2 types and not guys you'd see starting on a SB roster right now. Solid players that contribute but you're asking backups to be features and the foundation on a very tough defense.

Davis is inconsistent when asked to 2 gap. Gets moved a little bit too much out his lane but is serviceable. Gets washed on occasion when he tries to come off his block. Same with God and Guy. Both get turned around too easy. And all three have trouble moving laterally while trying to shed blocks. That's when you'll see them get walled off. Again none besides CB have any real tackling radius.
Barmore has been fantastic for a rookie but definitely can improve his tackling a bit. He can move very well. It actually was a plus in college but is very noticeable now. He seemed to miss some easy ones. He's been great though so I don't want to be to harsh on a rookie. He's like the one guy we have that knows how to beat doubles. Can rush half man. Our most complete IDL even if he's still putting everything together. It's all there for him. Get him a little stronger, hope he stays on the right track and we have a pro bowl player.

Whether we're in 335, 236, 245. Two down linemen or three, we absolutely have to get help beside Barmore. If this is what we're going to keep asking of our players and I don't see that changing considering we've ran it for so long. We need a real rock up front that can reset the los and eat doubles with ease. Right now we're simply asking too much of backups in a physical system that is quite unforgivable. I'll wait on the FA talk for now, I know @long distance has a thread on it. I believe B Williams, L Joesph, Suh and a few decent options might be available but again I won't get too much into that here rn. We definitely need a real 0/1T and 5T if we want to dominate the DL again in the okie, tite, odd front. We're hurting and it should be a priority.

I'll bring up just a few names from college since that's my expertise and we need to hit on another draft.

Jordan Davis, who you'll pay a premium for. Is a monster at 6'6/350 with length and knows how to use it. He'll never be a consistent pass rusher but has plus play strength, grip strength and flexibility for a dude his size. He can move and has light feet. Great job at utilizing his length. Benches players off him win ease. He won't be overwhelmed by anything "physical" in the NFL. Surprisingly flexibility, nimble with good lateral movements for his size not great but good. He's like your top fighter you send out in a group fight to intimidate the other side. Has some position flexibility as well esp for us and what we do. Powerful hands. Very rarely moved back. Inconsistent but very nice first step for his size. Super intriguing for us. Made a huge jump from 3rd round to potential top 20 pick.

Travis Jones is a kid I've had my eye for a few years. Local guy. Excels against the run. Resetting the line. Head and eyes are always up. Seems to know what type of run is coming and heads that way before others. Smooth fluid movements doesn't look stiff moving around at all. Plus anchor / base and lower half strength. Both of these guys should help immediately against the run and might be 1-2 for 0/1T in the draft.

For 4i/5T
I think Logan Hall is super intriguing for us. He's like 6'6/290 definitely could add on some weight. Tone setter that likes a fight. Violent active hands. Big time anchor. Plus block recognition. I think he'd be a great project for Bill. Eventually 4i/5T. 2nd round value imo.

Lined up at 3T

Love this rush here. Again lined up inside shows up some athleticism. Nice hand work. Gets inside placement, disengages and uses a club swim to finish.

I think Demarvin Leal would be quite the get. He still has to develop some and get a little stronger to hit his true potential but he's freaky dude we could play him anywhere if he hits. Mainly 6-3-5T in college and I see the same in the pros. He's an animal that gave Evan Neal all he could handle. Explosive. Incredible movement skills at 6'4/290. Late 1st - 2nd

Look at the hesi shake. Nice little chop before the spin.

Phidarian Mathis is another guy I could see in the part. Plus run defender that was a natural at holding his ground / resetting while keeping his eyes in the backfield. Seems to know what's coming at him. Has a long way to go before he's pressuring the QB next level but definitely fills a few needs and has some versatility. 3rd-4th round

Travon Walker is another guy that just screams 3/4/5T for us. Has a lot of God's attributes for defending the run. Plus play strength upper & lower. Violent hands. Smart and uses good technique against the run. Better movement skills than Mathis. 3rd round

Also mention these guys as
Jayden Peevey
Zach Carter
Eyioma Uwazurike

@Kontradiction @patsfanfromoversea @Username @patsinthesnow
Anyone else have any favorites for these roles? Feel free to jump in.

Great read! Thanks!
This one deserved its own thread but i understand why you're keeping it here ;)

Ill jump into it and come back with some thoughts..

Great read! Thanks!
This one deserved its own thread but i understand why you're keeping it here ;)

Ill jump into it and come back with some thoughts..
Yea go for it if you want. I actually think a thread on if we should spend assets on a WR is worthy as well.

We haven't been able to beat press/man for like 3 years. No true X or slot after drafting a QB last year. Imo this is actually a really good group as a collective but Mac is still a 2nd year QB. I definitely think we could help him out more in that regard but don't think it's close to a bad group.

In terms of IDL/DL I think we're depending on rotation guys to be front line guys on a SB team. Guy really dropped off in terms of consistency but he was never a superstar to begin with. I want both Guy & God on my team but not as starters tasked with responsibilities for this D/Okie. We have Barmore and Judon so let's build the beast back up. Especially if we're sticking with physical 250 types at LB. DL needs a 0, 5 and another edge player who might or might not be Perk.

I'm on the fence at LB. I love our throwback types but don't think they are the big problem. We absolutely have to upgrade HT but Bentley isn't as bad as most on here make him out to be. Neither is terrible in coverage fwiw either. HT gave up like 300 yards and Bentley 260. I could be wrong but that was middle of the pack.

Lots to talk about imo on both sides and that's not even mentioning ST. Besides our FG unit everything was trash.

I've been patient with Gunna but it's almost time to st¡t or get off the pot with him. I'm still holding my breath everything he has the ball. It's not a car crash every time with him potentially in the air but again I still feel like he could fold in half at any time.

DL / IDL - To me, this group needs a lot of attention going forward. I think there's a good case for priority #1 in either FA, the draft or even a trade going forward for a few different reasons.Talent and scheme, as they often are. Are really tied together here imho.

Very good point about marrying talent and scheme. But my money this offseason would be on scheme (and talent development).

Id be quite surprised if they indeed invest serious resources here esp. IDL. They invested significantly last year - trade up in the 2-rd of Draft and mid-upper FA signing (2y/15M) - to get their two top IDLs. I know people like to **** on God (and then suggest replacements who played to the same level or often worse) but he did ok - certainly improvement on what was here over quite some time (Shelton, Brown..). He was not my choice last FA, i suggested Tomlinson that in the end wasnt so much more expensive but asked for double guaranteed $ that Pats preferred to invest elsewhere. God's deal was backloaded so of course this yrs price tag for him is high. Id sooner believe they will extend him (3.5M savings incl top 51 rule) than cut him (4.1M savings).

FA picture isnt special either. Younger - good/promising but not special - guys (BJ Hill, Phillips, DJ Jones, Settle, Fatu, J-Day) will mostly have high price tags, older top one yr rentals are a waste of Cap at this point of rebuild imo. Id love Hicks back but im not sure he'll be there for NE w his last chance at decent contract..

The point to keep in mind is this is only the start of year 2 of rebuild. Year 1 was as good as one could hope for (starting QB on rookie contract, good Draft, some solid vet FA pieces on long term contracts) but there is still way to go and it would normally take at least two further solid off-seasons. Look at Bills, SF, Rams, others before. Cincy is ahead of schedule but they were also extremely lucky (and im not even sure they'd beat NE).
If this was close to finished product id agree about IDL, but for this year id build up foundational pieces elsewhere: they are losing key players at LB, CB and S and there was not much depth there to start with..

The problem(s), for starters, is our IDL - across the board aren't holding up.
Certain players always get singled out, its inevitable but that's why the A22 is great even though it's a **** product to watch. Honestly our whole IDL was inconsistent all year but at least we know Barmore is trending up. We couldn't beat combo blocks, got washed against zone - guys got turned around way too easy against zone runs and couldn't recover. Besides Barmore none have a big tackle radius.

Inconsistency was baffling i agree. LBs didn't help either though. As far as i could see God has good tackle radius.
I think God can play well with Barmore in y2. The Q is what to do with Guy (1M salary guaranteed on March 19. His regression was obvious this yr and it hurt God as well). Then again the whole team disappeared after the bye so personnel is just one bit of a big puzzle..

we simply don't have guys that can consistently beat combo blocks / double teams. Again this goes back to scheme & talent in some regards. We're asking guys who can't consistently beat doubles to do so often. Guy, God & Davis aren't bad players. They're really not, they're average players that teeter on that cusp going a little over and under. They're just not tier 1 or 2 types and not guys you'd see starting on a SB roster right now. Solid players that contribute but you're asking backups to be features and the foundation on a very tough defense.

We tend to look at our players and esp. their mistakes with magnifying glass bc the same could be said for 90% of NFL IDLs. Agreed that what BB wants to play asks more. As said I believe it will be combo of development of God, Barmore, Ekuale & possibly upgrade of Guy + better LB, DB group/help + adjusted scheme. After JJ was out for the season early and Gilmore didn't want to commit it was clear this was not a sustainable man covg team anymore that had to play lots of zone with heavy LBs..

Davis is inconsistent when asked to 2 gap. Gets moved a little bit too much out his lane but is serviceable. Gets washed on occasion when he tries to come off his block. Same with God and Guy. Both get turned around too easy. And all three have trouble moving laterally while trying to shed blocks.

It is very rare BB goes for same position high two consecutive drafts esp. if they hit. He will be intrigued about Davis size for sure but i doubt he'll see anything close to Vince or Vea to pull the trigger.

Anyhow - great read - but i believe we'll get back to this next year when IDL FA looks stronger at the top (+ good top tier trade options of 2023 FA class) and Pats should have plenty of Cap Space to attack what i hope to be final big touches of rebuilding the contender.

What this line does need to properly function is Flowers or someone in that mold. So sign me up for Leal, Karlaftis, Walker, Jermaine Johnson, Hall..

ps
thanks for the Peevy tip

Last edited:
Yea go for it if you want. I actually think a thread on if we should spend assets on a WR is worthy as well.

We haven't been able to beat press/man for like 3 years. No true X or slot after drafting a QB last year. Imo this is actually a really good group as a collective but Mac is still a 2nd year QB. I definitely think we could help him out more in that regard but don't think it's close to a bad group.

In terms of IDL/DL I think we're depending on rotation guys to be front line guys on a SB team. Guy really dropped off in terms of consistency but he was never a superstar to begin with. I want both Guy & God on my team but not as starters tasked with responsibilities for this D/Okie. We have Barmore and Judon so let's build the beast back up. Especially if we're sticking with physical 250 types at LB. DL needs a 0, 5 and another edge player who might or might not be Perk.

I'm on the fence at LB. I love our throwback types but don't think they are the big problem. We absolutely have to upgrade HT but Bentley isn't as bad as most on here make him out to be. Neither is terrible in coverage fwiw either. HT gave up like 300 yards and Bentley 260. I could be wrong but that was middle of the pack.

Lots to talk about imo on both sides and that's not even mentioning ST. Besides our FG unit everything was trash.

I've been patient with Gunna but it's almost time to st¡t or get off the pot with him. I'm still holding my breath everything he has the ball. It's not a car crash every time with him potentially in the air but again I still feel like he could fold in half at any time.
DL/DT (Do you agree?)
1) Barmore, Wise, Godchaux, and Guy are very likely to be on the team.

2) Cowart, Anderson, and Ekuale are possibilities.

3) We could add another through the draft.

BOTTOM LINE
We could find a high draft choice or not.

Some guys are saying ILB isn’t a big need because they count Perkins mcgrone and mcmillan in but I don’t expect much out of them next season. Mcgrone and Perkins are more like rookies than second year players due to injuries lack of training and no game experience. We can’t count on them solving our Lb issue. McMillan was injured the whole season hope he is healthy I think he could beat out Bentley if resigned. BB needs to overthink the LB group in all areas. Draft, Type of LB etc. We used two thirds and one second on guys who currently are not contributing and I have not much confidence wino and Uche will play a lot more next season , I believe wino could be traded or should. Jennings played in the covid season and now missed the whole year , he needs a lot of time probably. Bentley and HT showed this year they aren’t the answer going forward. Bentley should play a Backup Role imo and HT could retire easily.
I believe Bill should move on from Ht Bentley and Collins but I expect him to bring back Bentley.
I can’t figure out why Uche isn’t playing some off the Ball duties. He is by far our most athletic guy and can tackle well, we had nobody like him on the roster this season , I can’t believe he would be worse as an off the ball LB than what we sometimes had on the field.
If BB keeps playing 3 DT I think we don’t need two 250 pound LB and can afford one like Dean
LB
1) I don't think that Van Noy will be cut, certainly not before camp.
2) I would expect us to re-sign Bentley
3) I expect McMillan, Perkins and McGrone to make the team. They are our "rookie" or "new" additions.
4) And then there were five: Van Noy, Bentley, McMillan, Perkins, Mcgrone
5) There is lots of room for improvement with the rest. We have no one else that we can count on: Winovich, Uche, Jennings, Tavai, Langi

BOTTOM LINE
Sign Bentley and look for more help.

another view

Patriots special teams group has turned the corner after sloppy start - Pats Pulpit
=============
1) I think that re-signing Folk is a very high priority.

2) I'm fine with Bailey.

3) I'm fine an upgrade at PR. However, I don't think that this is a priority. We have an OK returner. We can [ay for better quality or not.

4) Slater will play as long as he wants to stay.

5) I'm fine with Bethel and Davis.

6) Of all the units, I trust Belichick to spend enough resources to get us at least a very good special teams unit. Whether our current coach should be upgraded is another issue.

LB
1) I don't think that Van Noy will be cut, certainly not before camp.
2) I would expect us to re-sign Bentley
3) I expect McMillan, Perkins and McGrone to make the team. They are our "rookie" or "new" additions.
4) And then there were five: Van Noy, Bentley, McMillan, Perkins, Mcgrone
5) There is lots of room for improvement with the rest. We have no one else that we can count on: Winovich, Uche, Jennings, Tavai, Langi

BOTTOM LINE
Sign Bentley and look for more help.

With a $5M cap savings and the Pats short on Cap Space, not to mention Van Noy's crappy play for a majority of the year, there's a good chance he get's cut.

The same can be said for Godchaux. $5M in cap savings with the Pats needing space to sign Jackson to the Franchise tender and Meyers to a 2nd round tender, the money has to come from somewhere. They could do an extension for Godchaux, but that would cause several posters' heads to explode.

DL/DT (Do you agree?)
1) Barmore, Wise, Godchaux, and Guy are very likely to be on the team.

2) Cowart, Anderson, and Ekuale are possibilities.

3) We could add another through the draft.

BOTTOM LINE
We could find a high draft choice or not.

That list kinda sucks.

We need to add At Least one Wide-Body... and No, re-signing Carl Davis does Not count.

And we also need to add a DE who plays at the end of the LOS but can also Rush the Passer.

Bentley and HT showed this year they aren’t the answer going forward.

??

Bentley is still young, improving, wearing green dot since yr1, played ok, one of the more consistent defenders, one of the few who could tackle.
He actually did well considering he's not exactly zone prototype and had extremely inconsistent LB room around him.
If anything was “shown“ its how bad LB group looked when he was out.

He's as PTP/BB as they come and should be in Pats price range so id certainly hope they can bring him back long term.
He has limitations, but also fits well in NE LB group. The key is what they put around him. McGrone/McMillan at least is the right direction - how much they can contribute yr 1 is another Q.

Last edited:
??

Bentley is still young, improving, wearing green dot since yr1, played ok, one of the more consistent defenders, one of the few who could tackle.
He actually did well considering he's not exactly zone prototype and had extremely inconsistent LB room around him.

He's as PTP/BB as they come and should be in Pats price range so id certainly hope they can bring him back long term.
He has limitations, but also fits well in NE LB group. The key is what they put around him. McGrone/McMillan at least is the right direction - how much they can contribute yr 1 is another Q.

You wanna re-sign JaWrong? Knock yourself out, but I ain't paying even a buck more for him above the vet minimum.

Nothing was easy.

We need an easy button lol.

This is key. They really have to figure this out with whatever personnel they assemble. Its hard to expect next Jules or Wes would just waltz in but it is hard watching the labour every snap. When everything is hard, tense, little room for error - mistakes come, everything slows down more.
I had early season fumbles on this constant labour - not the players.

They passed on so many obvious choices, mid rounders - and drafted big guys that just add to the labour even in best case scenarios.

Losing Sweet Feet was big. Hopefully they bring him back but they need to find an easier O.

f.e. Jonnu proved in ****ing TEN he could be Deebo but like you said they just clogg the middle and one of their most expensive players is out of work..

This is key. They really have to figure this out with whatever personnel they assemble. Its hard to expect next Jules or Wes would just waltz in but it is hard watching the labour every snap. When everything is hard, tense, little room for error - mistakes come, everything slows down more.
I had early season fumbles on this constant labour - not the players.

They passed on so many obvious choices, mid rounders - and drafted big guys that just add to the labour even in best case scenarios.

Losing Sweet Feet was big. Hopefully they bring him back but they need to find an easier O.

f.e. Jonnu proved in ****ing TEN he could be Deebo but like you said they just clogg the middle and one of their most expensive players is out of work..

Yep.

Agholor, Bourne, Meyers, Gunner, Wilkerson & Nixon are simply Not. Enough.

??

I expect them to bring him back as well
The LB market is thin
I believe PFF had HT as the second best FA LB available after Campbell

I just think Bentley is a two down LB snd should not be more than a situational run stopping LB here
I know he fits PTP but BB might need to overthink that
Even with the 250 pounds LB we had this year we couldn’t stop the run
So there are two scenarios
They are either not so good as we think
Or it was all the D-Line fault which is hard to believe

I expect them to bring him back as well
The LB market is thin
I believe PFF had HT as the second best FA LB available after Campbell

I just think Bentley is a two down LB snd should not be more than a situational run stopping LB here
I know he fits PTP but BB might need to overthink that
Even with the 250 pounds LB we had this year we couldn’t stop the run
So there are two scenarios
They are either not so good as we think
Or it was all the D-Line fault which is hard to believe
HT being the second best LB available is more credit to his past than to his latest performance, he clearly lost a step (and he was slow already)
Bentley is a pure run stopping LB, a slow one, but at least he makes the tackles when he doesn't take himself out of the play by hitting the wrong lane.

And they are not so good (but I don't think many would have said they are good anyway this year, though Bentley had more impact and seemed improved at the things he was asked to do) but the DL has its issues with the LoS as well, they were consistantly moved back or the LBs were left against OL which break through the DL taking the LBs out of play.

If the interior would have been great against the run, I'd assume the opponents would run more on the outside because the Pats struggle to set the edge as well...

Could someone get a list of players we'll be getting back from injury this year? Would love to remember what we missed out on... Or is there a list I could find somewhere?

Could someone get a list of players we'll be getting back from injury this year? Would love to remember what we missed out on... Or is there a list I could find somewhere?

RB White (29,2021,$2.5) - likely re-sign

TE Keene (22,2023,$1),

DL Cowart (25,2022,$0,9)

DE Anderson (30,2022,$2,7), OLB 51Perkins (21,2024,)

LB 58Jennings* (24,2023,$1), 46McMillan (25,2022,$1.2), 45McGrone (21,2024,), 59Hall* (24,2022,$0.8), 52Langi* (29,2022,$1);

DB 31J.Jones* (28,2022,$7.4), 24Bledsoe (22,2024,)

RB White (29,2021,$2.5) - likely re-sign

TE Keene (22,2023,$1),

DL Cowart (25,2022,$0,9)

DE Anderson (30,2022,$2,7), OLB 51Perkins (21,2024,)

LB 58Jennings* (24,2023,$1), 46McMillan (25,2022,$1.2), 45McGrone (21,2024,), 59Hall* (24,2022,$0.8), 52Langi* (29,2022,$1);

DB 31J.Jones* (28,2022,$7.4), 24Bledsoe (22,2024,)
this is an interesting list. Keene to me is now a potential threat to Jacob at FB....IF he is tough enough, he'd be an upgrade because he is a better athlete and offers more of an offensive threat in passing game. But I think his TE days are over. It's too crowed there now,

White is someone who now has become an expensive luxury. Both Rham and Harris are good receivers in their own right, Not as good as White has been, but good enough to make White redundant. There is also JJ sitting in the wings. In a year where cap money will be at a premium, White becomes someone you'd love to bring back, BUT.....

Cowart has been an intriguing figure for me over the few years he's been here. Watching him at camp his rookie year be became a real binky of mine. He has a great first step. He was explosive. And he ran really well for such a big man. Well over the next few years those raw talents haven't translated into playing time. Now a lot of that has to do with injuries. Maybe year 4 is the. charm. Most likely not, but I's an incurable optimist....and he was a binky.

I think the loss of Anderson was bigger than most thought. He WAS the run stopping 3-4 DE that Wise and Guy couldn't be. Both of those guys would be better off playing in 4-3 sets. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Bill doesn't trend back to more 4-3 sets next year if he doesn't get a solid NT in the draft or FA or if God or Davis don't develop into one.

Well Everyone wants to revamp the LB group, well one revamp method has been on IR all year. Jennings is the slow run stopper you HOPE will be an upgrade on Bently. But that is what he is. McMillan, McGrone, and Perkins are the guys you hope will show up and breathe life into a dying position group. I think High is smart enough to read the tea leaves and retire. Collins didn't have have any impact IMHO, and is very likely to be let go. Bentley I think did well enough to get a chance to compete for the slow run stopping ILB, but we only need one of those not the 3 we seemed to have on the field all year. I think KVN did more than enough to become that elder statesman in the room during this change.

We REALLY missed Jones this year and it will be great to have him back. He will make a big difference. Bryant isn't the answer. Williams was a HUGE disappointment to me. I've seen games where he was very effective, but clearly he played like sh!t this year. I don't think he's too slow, but rather he's too slow THINKING. CB is my #2 draft priority. and JC is my #1 FA resigning job. My big hope is that Wade will develop into that big CB role that Williams failed at.

As for S, it will all depend on what DMsc decides to do. If he retires then I think Phillips will go back there and I'll be comfortable with that. I have NO idea about Bledsoe except he was a low draft pick and THEY like him.

My #1 priority this off season is to find the DL unicorn. I think we have one already, but you need more than one to succeed in this league. Now based on info that BGC has so kindly given us is that there IS one, and maybe 2 of those guys available. (Davis and the kid from UConn). If Davis is there at 21 I think Bill grabs him on the spot. However if he's gone (and he very much might be as the #1 interior DLman). I would be shocked if BB didn't just trade out of the first round, pick up an extra pick or two and get the UConn kid early in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back