PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I watched Trey Lance play this weekend on tv, he has a cannon of an arm !! Blew me away just how easily he flings that ball. That and his ability to run, I can see how much pressure he will put on opposing defences and how he can use those attributes to get out of trouble.
He's a bit of a project but there's so much to work with. Incredibly driven, focused, aware. He put in the work, has amazing upside and seems like a great kid. They absolutely gave up too much and played themselves but Lance is a monster of a prospect.
Mac Jones strengths are a lot less flashy and much more subtle, intelligence and accuracy, and those will have to be ~ elite ~ because he can't lean on the physical strengths the other top 4 first round QBs possess.
This is what I've been saying for months. He can't just be good in pre / post snap or identifying coverage tells .. He needs to be great. Which by all accounts is exactly what he wants to do.

A lot of that is just experience. Not just seeing the same coverage for example but playing against the same players. Get used to different techniques from players. Difference between playing Gregg Williams vs Gus Bradley.

He's got some of John Carroll's best around him. And again by all accounts - he's in at 430am etc he knows he's got to work.

Another thing that will take time is his body. Next year we'll see a slimmer, tighter Mac.

It'll take time but this is probably the best environment he could be in.

What a day. It's been a while since we all were turned upside down by Bill. Well not really but he did it again. Say what you want but no one expected him to release Cam. His contract, attitude, most of the meaningful reps in pre-season. This was a surprise and it was fun. I like fun. No one of is are playing the games. Players aren't thankful for our post. It's supposed to be fun.

Expectations for Mac Daddy the Marvelous - 2/1 TD/INT ratio, Top 25 ANY/A, YPA or Depth of target, control the clock - no more delay of games, don't snap the ball last second consistently, mix up cadences, use tempo both ways fast & slow, command the huddle.

Expectations for NEP - Competing for the division, 10 wins, playoffs. This division is kinda bonkers if you think about. After a few years what do we really know about Miami? They're tough as ****, will play tough defense but they really don't have a real identity yet. No one can have a handle on NYJ. Bills will be good but what's the jump, either + or - ?

Pats have as good a shot at the division as anyone else. Sure Buffalo might be favorites on paper but I don't see a big gap at all.

Which would be a big mistake. Lawrence,Wilson, Jones & Fields are all ready to start and should. By no stretch is Lance ready. He is the rawest of all the rookies and would greatly benefit from sitting a year behind JG. Of course,the odds of JG not getting hurt over a full season are slim to none. But no reason to put the rook out there until you have to. SF would have to run a very simplified offense for Lance. Next year he'll be ready to go.

What a day. It's been a while since we all were turned upside down by Bill. Well not really but he did it again. Say what you want but no one expected him to release Cam. His contract, attitude, most of the meaningful reps in pre-season. This was a surprise and it was fun. I like fun. No one of is are playing the games. Players aren't thankful for our post. It's supposed to be fun.

Expectations for Mac Daddy the Marvelous - 2/1 TD/INT ratio, Top 25 ANY/A, YPA or Depth of target, control the clock - no more delay of games, don't snap the ball last second consistently, mix up cadences, use tempo both ways fast & slow, command the huddle.

Expectations for NEP - Competing for the division, 10 wins, playoffs. This division is kinda bonkers if you think about. After a few years what do we really know about Miami? They're tough as ****, will play tough defense but they really don't have a real identity yet. No one can have a handle on NYJ. Bills will be good but what's the jump, either + or - ?

Pats have as good a shot at the division as anyone else. Sure Buffalo might be favorites on paper but I don't see a big gap at all.
I’m looking forward to high IQ football returning to the QB position up there. He’s going to go through his ups and downs. He’ll underestimate a DB’s closing speed, misread trail, not see the Robber, etc. But the kid is a smart football player and puts the ball where his receivers can get it (as opposed to in the turf or sandwiching Meyers between his man and a closing safety). I’d love to shed Harry and bring back Cooks to open the field up more for him. Cooks and Agholor on the perimeter with Jones and Henry in 2 or 12-personnel would be hard to stop. But it doesn’t look like that’s happening.

I’m looking forward to high IQ football returning to the QB position up there.
This is the biggest upside with him. He's a pup and has a world of information to absorb but has shown the ability to learn, somewhat adapt, quick. And quick is the key, obviously. Even if he's off once or twice you don't see many repeated mistakes and no "wtf" decisions.

This had to play big with the final decision. Go on a rollercoaster ride week to week Cam or slow & steady with Mac.
He’s going to go through his ups and downs. He’ll underestimate a DB’s closing speed, misread trail, not see the Robber, etc. But the kid is a smart football player and puts the ball where his receivers can get it (as opposed to in the turf or sandwiching Meyers between his man and a closing safety). I’d love to shed Harry and bring back Cooks to open the field up more for him. Cooks and Agholor on the perimeter with Jones and Henry in 2 or 12-personnel would be hard to stop. But it doesn’t look like that’s happening.
One of the reasons I was so happy we got Henry & Smith was the option to split them out wide while Agholor, Meyers & co are in the slot while we're in 12p with Harris back there.

Just really puts teams in a bad spot trying to matchup in coverage while playing the run. Cooks would be a welcomed addition. We got him for PA/Seam beater and I'm all about helping a young QB.

Can we please stop saying pretending Mahomes needed to sit behind Alex Smith for a year lol. Mahomes tossed 50 TD's his first year and had the best three year stretch of QB play in the history of the game. I think he would have been ok starting as a rookie. Fwiw everyone in KC were gushing over his acclimation to the pro game and his ability to "master" the playbook.

Now look at Aaron Rodgers. Another name people will throw out. Mostly bc they've heard it before from others and definitely NOT bc they watched AR in college. He was a completely different QB. From mechanics to attitude, whole new guy and QB.

It's a case by case basis depending on mental toughness / readiness, skill set and landing spot. Just like sometimes you need to wait a few years (Josh Allen) vs seeing it right away (Manning). First few years Odell Beckham was WR1, HOF bound. So was Mike Evans but most didn't notice. Now it's a different story.

One reason teams can start young QB's with more confidence is the college and pro games have become so much alike. NFL steals from college like it's going out of style. In many cases teams are no longer banging their head against a wall trying to teach prospects a different language. It's a lot easier to do today.

It's just a continuation, variation of systems ... We'll take some things directly from Bama, he'll recognize other stuff and we'll teach him the rest. I actually think that'll be easy for him. I think the physical will be tougher - speed he's seeing vs where he's at, outside the pocket, windows closing, getting his body right, weeks 12 +.

@DaBruinz asked about which players we should pick up and Mason was a priority for me. The versatility a player like this can bring is really special even though his position is fringe in today's game. 4 down player ever wants in the Juice, Ricard mold. People from the draft forum might remember me talking about Ricard. Little tape, small school but just the "it" factor.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back