PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

As a fan of deep dives into the many moving parts of anything, I think it'd be fascinating (and probably unsettling) to read about the comprehensive effects that betting places on the institutions that integrate it. I'd have to imagine an institution changes its function in some capacity to accommodate betting, and that's before you examine its effects on the culture of its fans, and more importantly, players/coaches/owners/FO/ect.,

As a fan of deep dives into the many moving parts of anything, I think it'd be fascinating (and probably unsettling) to read about the comprehensive effects that betting places on the institutions that integrate it. I'd have to imagine an institution changes its function in some capacity to accommodate betting, and that's before you examine its effects on the culture of its fans, and more importantly, players/coaches/owners/FO/ect.,

Former Patriot Rashod Berry, now with the Colts, gets an indefinite suspension.

Former Patriot Rashod Berry, now with the Colts, gets an indefinite suspension.

Found this article (ESPN for those who hate them and refuse to click their content) from June 5th that has a summary of betting in the NFL so far after the PASPA of '92 was struck down in 2018. I didn't know the NFL actually was a plaintiff and fought to stop the spread of betting from outside of Nevada until the Supreme Court stepped in.

Some names mentioned that've been caught thus far:

Former Detroit Lions receiver Quintez Cephus,
Former Lions safety C.J. Moore and
Former Washington Commanders defensive end Shaka Toney were suspended in April for at least one year

The same penalty was levied against Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Calvin Ridley in 2022, when he was with the Atlanta Falcons, and former Arizona Cardinals defensive back Josh Shaw in 2019.

Lions receivers Stanley Berryhill and Jameson Williams were suspended for six games for allegedly placing bets -- not on NFL games -- while at a team facility.
In December, New York Jets receivers coach Miles Austin was suspended by the league for, according to his legal representation, "wagering on table games and non-NFL professional sports."

Article also goes into some surface-level detail about policy and the changes made to accommodate the influx of betting. It's pretty wild to consider how much surveillance is immediately needed when introducing... dubious markets and let them intersect with an industry like professional sports.

Found this article (ESPN for those who hate them and refuse to click their content) from June 5th that has a summary of betting in the NFL so far after the PASPA of '92 was struck down in 2018. I didn't know the NFL actually was a plaintiff and fought to stop the spread of betting from outside of Nevada until the Supreme Court stepped in.

Some names mentioned that've been caught thus far:

Former Detroit Lions receiver Quintez Cephus,
Former Lions safety C.J. Moore and
Former Washington Commanders defensive end Shaka Toney were suspended in April for at least one year

The same penalty was levied against Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Calvin Ridley in 2022, when he was with the Atlanta Falcons, and former Arizona Cardinals defensive back Josh Shaw in 2019.

Lions receivers Stanley Berryhill and Jameson Williams were suspended for six games for allegedly placing bets -- not on NFL games -- while at a team facility.
In December, New York Jets receivers coach Miles Austin was suspended by the league for, according to his legal representation, "wagering on table games and non-NFL professional sports."

Article also goes into some surface-level detail about policy and the changes made to accommodate the influx of betting. It's pretty wild to consider how much surveillance is immediately needed when introducing... dubious markets and let them intersect with an industry like professional sports.
Yep I believe it was mentioned in its own thread when it happened, actually.
The article I mentioned was announced today and there is supposedly MORE coming.

Frisker can be that guy for us here. I really, really hope that he isn't waived on cut-down day just to make room for yet another "coverage ace".

Jonnu Smith was traded to Atlanta who then did not sign Firkser. Firkster was a FB/HB at Harvard but is more of a Gesicki type (maybe think of him as Gesicki insurance?). Not a great blocker. Smart guy so he should fit in. I assume BOB wanted him.

Lumpkin is more the in-line TE type but he probably needs at least a year or two of experience (exact opposite of a guy that went to Harvard if you catch my drift).

I like Gesicki, Henry, Firkser, and Lumpkin. Good group, not great. Some upside but we could probably upgrade in 2024 (like OT).

Jonnu Smith was traded to Atlanta who then did not sign Firkser. Firkster was a FB/HB at Harvard but is more of a Gesicki type (maybe think of him as Gesicki insurance?). Not a great blocker. Smart guy so he should fit in. I assume BOB wanted him.

Lumpkin is more the in-line TE type but he probably needs at least a year or two of experience (exact opposite of a guy that went to Harvard if you catch my drift).

I like Gesicki, Henry, Firkser, and Lumpkin. Good group, not great. Some upside but we could probably upgrade in 2024 (like OT).

Lump-kin is just a camp body with No future in this league on a team that's a Legit contender. Not Once did I see or hear anything - and I mean Anything - about him during the draft process.

Lump-kin is just a camp body with No future in this league on a team that's a Legit contender. Not Once did I see or hear anything - and I mean Anything - about him during the draft process.
You said the same about Lee Smith as well. How'd that turn out?

Lumpkin is definitely big, strong, and athletic enough to have an NFL career. I am thinking his weakness is putting it all together. The opposite is White, who also is a big boy, and reads and applies the talent appropriately to the situation in front of him. I suspect Lumpkin will start as an in-line blocker, an extra O-lineman, something fairly simple. But if you watch him, Lumpkin is smooth at running and catching, nice hands.

I really like Kollmann and that video was high standard.

He makes it clear that the use of a fullback isn't just to punch holes on short yardage or be an extra pass-blocker. So the idea that a tight end is a natural substitute for the fullback isn't so straightforward: the fullback has to be able to make ground to block, often moving laterally, and do that with a low centre of gravity. That just wasn't Jonnu's game.

Of course, Josh McDaniels had a very particular style of offense, but I was still dismayed when the Pats moved on from Jak without replacing him. As Kollmann's videos show, the fullback doesn't need rare skills to do a competent job (and he is likely to be an asset on special teams) so it seems crazy not to have had anyone who could take the role on the team (L'il Jordan Humphrey?)

it seems crazy not to have had anyone who could take the role on the team (L'il Jordan Humphrey?)

The Captain was saying that Firkster can be the 3rd TE and the HB/FB type. He was a HB/FB type at college. I am thinking we will have more empty sets than split back sets?

The Captain was saying that Firkster can be the 3rd TE and the HB/FB type. He was a HB/FB type at college. I am thinking we will have more empty sets than split back sets?
Could be — who knows? Condition is that the design of the offense is sophisticated enough to use someone other than a short-yardage hole-blaster!

Frisker can be that guy for us here. I really, really hope that he isn't waived on cut-down day just to make room for yet another "coverage ace".
He can be that [play fullback] or wham block after he’s in motion. He fits a necessary niche on offense.

We can pop runs esp outside the tackle when teams are playing pass against us.

I hope not; that wouldn't be playing to our strengths.

I hope not; that wouldn't be playing to our strengths.

Might work since we have five #2s and #3s. Identify the biggest mismatch and let it fly accurately and early - Mac might fit the bill. It will be interesting to see what BOB does.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back