PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

Last edited:
QB Questions & Thoughts - What's the difference in ceiling between Cam & Mac? That has to be the question or top 2-3 in Foxboro rn. I'm not sure I see a significant gap here given everything we've seen. And this is coming from a life long Cam fan. I have to be objective though.
When you consider the collective, Mac's might be slightly higher in this offense, even this year as a baby.

Why? Bc this offense values and thrives off quick / mental processing, a quick release & the ability to change week to week.

As a scout, amateur, even someone that doesn't care about the draft. You want to see what translates from college and what doesn't. What's he good at? His strengths and flaws.

Fortunately Mac's strengths have been on display. We've seen him kill plays, overcome a little adversity - from starting in his own end, sometimes on purpose like Bill not challenging a call with clear intent to see how Mac would do - complete to Wilkerson the next play, moving 2nd/3rd level defenders with eye/shoulder fakes. He's got the ball out quicker than any QB on the team. He also has a lot of experience with RPO and can easily eat up unaccounted for yards the defense always gives up. So while he certainly isn't a "running QB", he can take 7-10 yards on a play here and there to really frustrate a defense.

So the mental traits you want to see are there. He's decisive and getting the ball out quick. And is more than comfortable running RPO & with quick /short stuff. That made up more than half his production in college. He's extremely comfortable running that scheme and I actually hope we keep at least to some degree. The "good" is showing up.

I wrote about Mac's arm talent being one of his bigger assets despite the "arm strength" concerns and we see the difference between the two. I describe arm talent as Accuracy + Velocity + Touch + Placement. Think of a target standing there with his arms spread ... Accuracy is hitting the general target area, Velocity is the spin, mph while the ball is air. Recently Mac's came into question. It's not about how far, the velocity is much more important. Why? Bc it allows you to truly threaten every part of the field while it's defended. For example 3 & long, defenses are giving up yards, giving up the underneath/shallow cross area. Making you fit the ball in between defenders - tight window passes, far hash - far out ... Arm strength isn't just something cool to talk about, it matters a lot. How/Who you attack & when, it's a big factor. Touch is the ability to layer it in between defenders, a change up to a fast ball. You see the nose drop down at the end of deep stuff. Placement is the father of accuracy. Lead shoulder on crossing route if no one is in front of you. Low / away if they are. Fortunately Mac has it all except top tier velocity along with really good anticipation, maybe his best asset. Lastly regarding his velocity. On platform - on balance - space to work and this hardly ever shows up. And is something easily fixable. Obviously the NFL is going to challenge his spot, make him move but lucky for us we have a great OL.

A few passes stick out. He led Meyers & Harry down and away on a couple passes to protect them. The one to Meyers was the incompletion that would have counted I believe. The touch and placement on a few of his deep passes that weren't caught but were beautiful throws. His arm certainly isn't holding him back.

Cam is much more of a stick n shoot passer. Big fastball. He sees it open and he's putting it on you fast. Stidham was the same way in college. Not the worst thing in the world it's limiting but can be an effective style.

These aren't the only factors in play here, obviously. But when your 15th overall pick is showing you exactly why you picked him you don't want put that on hold for a year.

So again I'll ask, how big is the difference in ceiling, this year between the Mac & Cam?

i think two factors CONCERN me about starting Mac.
1. I mentioned a couple weeks ago and others seem to agree/reiterate; whether his body conditioning is nfl ready for the rigors. TB had to add major muscle. That photo of Mac w the Post-TN game cigar makes you think he might still have some baby fat LOL

2. What about the infamous rookie wall?

the college 10 game season and nfl NOW 17 game season are much different. Do you really want your ‚higher ceiling‚ guy hitting his rookie wall right when you are in the final Play-off Push or first PO game?

from that perspective it might be better to start cam for the first 4-6 games. (Saying as he secretly really really wants to see Mac vs TB. ;) )

Never 100% accurate, but always interesting nonetheless (IMHO)..

My totally amateurish opinion is Cam might be worth 1 more win in September and October. After that, assuming Mac develops as expected, it's either a wash or the edge goes to Mac from November onwards. So to me it'd be a no brainer to just start Mac week 1, since (according to my own personal logic anyway) it'd give us a better chance to win games down the stretch and in the playoffs.
I wonder how Mac will handle the extreme cold. I know it gets "cold" down south, but I wonder if he's played/practiced in the teens/snow/etc being from Jax (a private boarding school right on the beach) and going to college in Alabama. At least TB went to Michigan, so he was primed.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back