PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Mac used quick, efficient footwork along with adjusting his mechanics on the fly during several drop backs. Put himself in position and allowed himself to really put some zip on some passes. We saw what he can do stepping up and moving around a clean pocket. Footwork and head, shoulder movements were on display tonight. Again the way he repositioned himself, opening up his hips & shoulders to really put some spin on the ball. A few really big time passes. Burned by a few drops on deep passes. A few would-be TD's dropped. Even still he's had several consecutive scoring drives while getting himself out of tight spots at the beginning / during a drive. Impressive stuff for a rookie. Nice pocket movement, shoulder fake.

Great to see our RB catching balls. Josh needs to keep that up and get creative with them. Esp early on to change the look of a game, give something new for the D to look at.

Our running game looks lethal but I'm pleasantly surprised at the depth on the OL. The difference showed out big time last night between the two rosters. Sometimes we're a little harsher than we should be bc it's our team, we see them more than other teams. It happens. *If* we're healthy up front it looks like we have decent depth that should only get better as the year goes on.

Cam looked good, comfortable. In control, in rhythm. He looks good but I didn't come away impressed by anything. Nothing advanced or mind blowing. Simple stuff that's pretty much straightforward. It's preseason so there's that but nothing special. A little late stepping up, seems to being staring at a few targets still, as does Mac fwiw. You can see him waiting on stuff, some stuff is a little advertised but you can see he at least has a good understanding of the offense. He doesn't look "great" but "good" Cam could be "good enough".

Our running game should be the focal point on offense so I wonder where everyone sides on that between the coaches. I'm hoping we keep the RPO stuff for both guys at least early on. It gave Mac a lot of confidence, structure in which to work out of.

Barmore showed off on two rushes that I saw. Splitting through a double. Man does he move so well. If Gilmore is back, we're pretty solid at every level.

Last thing on the QB's. We saw a small amount of Cam last night not lot but enough. Again preseason but that didn't look like pats football. Our offense looks different with Mac so far. I don't think anyone can say different with what we've seen. The defense should definitely be the strength of the team but needless to say we need a dynamic offense to really make noise in this league. If Cam isn't improved from the pocket how much more valuable is he than Mac all things considered? Experience & leadership are wonderful but if you're not moving the ball through the air, not scoring. You're not winning a lot of games like that.

I think so many rookies make the throw to Gunner there and get a pat on the back for moving the ball out for a cleaner punt. Mac instead with a much tougher pass for the first down. In terms of probability/ball control, Mac makes the right decision. Well worth the risk to throw beyond the sticks. Maintaining possession worth so much more than an extra 8 yards of field position/special teams advantage.

1629488617923.png

I think so many rookies make the throw to Gunner there and get a pat on the back for moving the ball out for a cleaner punt. Mac instead with a much tougher pass for the first down. In terms of probability/ball control, Mac makes the right decision. Well worth the risk to throw beyond the sticks. Maintaining possession worth so much more than an extra 8 yards of field position/special teams advantage.

View attachment 34821
And he opened up, using Gunna to move 46 to hit Harry. That's what impressed me. We see very little if any of that from Cam. Little nuance, all hammer. Nice job of moving the 2nd level. Another thing is it looks like he threw this low on purpose to avoid a big hit and didn't lead 15 into a brickwall. Harry gets a lot of **** and deservedly so but last he took a shot in Sea and Cam was throwing him hospital balls against Oak shortly after.

There are 2 Connor McGoverns in the NFL. Both OL…What are the odds..?

Last edited:
There are 2 Connor McGoverns in the NFL. What are the odds..?
Black Girl GIF by Sam Cannon

Top 5 all AFC…Bottom 5 all NFC..

Last edited:

This tells me the Pats are going to have a more traditional "Patriots Offseason" next year. Not only because they're unlikely to spend so aggressively two years in a row, but also because a lot of teams with a lot of room is going to create a HUGE market for the top tier guys. We're going to see some massive overpays on day 1. Even if some of those guys end up being worth it, it's probably smart to look for guys on day two when the waters are chummed like that.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back