PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wise talk on Wise walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Similarities @Combine between Wise and Chandler Jones were uncanny.
Still Wise was picked 110 spots lower.

Similarities continue in rookie production . despite somewhat different usage.
Character can put Wise on a longer stay with the Patriots though.

Last edited:
I know.. but in this case Wise and Flowers did stay the latest throughout TC..
The important thing here is how Wise is enjoying every step of his improvement.
This attitude can take you far..
Oh yea.

He's had an outstanding rookie year. Love him.

BB needs to change his tune.

Seemed like D Wise had hit the wall though. Pass Rush was nonexistant when Trey Flowers was out. Hopefully he gets a Second wind in the Playoffs. Hope they Fixed that Edge problem because Both Hunt and Bell possible opponents on the way to the Big dance can both run and catch.

Similarities @Combine between Wise and Chandler Jones were uncanny.
Still Wise was picked 110 spots lower.

Similarities continue in rookie production . despite somewhat different usage.
Character can put Wise on a longer stay with the Patriots though.

I don't think CJs exit was due to character issues (although they didn't help). I think it was because he had priced himself out of our salary cap structure, and because he tended to not show up in January / February.

Often times Wise will find himself getting pushed or even rushing outside the arc and find himself upfield.

Sometimes when a rusher is getting to that dangerous territory he already has his man out of position and cross his face inside. Use another move to get back inside.

Or simply be aware of your surroundings & where you are.

Wise tries a Rip move first but is unsuccessful. See Taylor is stepping up. Uses his man's momentum against him & gives him a small swat/club to cross over

Want more of this

Also great job by 37 there. On his toes and mirroring pretty nice.

I thought an issue with Jones was he was not "doing his job", while the sacks are all gaudy and such can never remember a BB team emphasizing this stat...

In Arizona they value sacks as an indicator of something.. BB has always demanded that the OLB/DE's hold the edge first...

I thought an issue with Jones was he was not "doing his job", while the sacks are all gaudy and such can never remember a BB team emphasizing this stat...

In Arizona they value sacks as an indicator of something.. BB has always demanded that the OLB/DE's hold the edge first...
Getting sacks does t mean you aren’t doing your job. Jones played great here and did everything he was asked well. The fact that Arizona defines his job differently so he is able to get more sacks doesn’t mesn he didn’t do his job here.
Unless what you are saying is the job of a guy who is an excellent pass rusher as well as good everything B.B. asks is more valuable to a team like az, which i would agree with.

Often times Wise will find himself getting pushed or even rushing outside the arc and find himself upfield.

Sometimes when a rusher is getting to that dangerous territory he already has his man out of position and cross his face inside. Use another move to get back inside.

Or simply be aware of your surroundings & where you are.

Wise tries a Rip move first but is unsuccessful. See Taylor is stepping up. Uses his man's momentum against him & gives him a small swat/club to cross over

Want more of this

Also great job by 37 there. On his toes and mirroring pretty nice.

I refuse to give Richards any credit because I am trying to chase him out of town . :p

961 snaps combined for a 4th RD DE & an UDFA DT. For comparison that’s more DL rookie snaps than the Browns with Garrett, Ojungobi & Brantley.

The Ravens also drafted three front seven players in the first three rounds in Bowser, Williams & Wormley. They have a combined 403 snaps.

Fans need to keep this in mind in regards to the inconsistency with the front seven. Despite Wise & Butler playing massive snaps the defense is still 12th in sacks (7 total between the two) & the D would probably be elite with Hightower behind them.

I think we’ve found a starting EDGE rusher of the future across Flowers & our replacement for Easley if Butler gets stronger in the offseason.

Last edited:
Love this post. Change your second "s" to a "k".

961 snaps combined for a 4th RD DE & an UDFA DT. For comparison that’s more DL rookie snaps than the Browns with Garrett, Ojungobi & Brantley.

The Ravens also drafted three front seven players in the first three rounds in Bowser, Williams & Wormley. They have a combined 403 snaps.

Fans need to keep this in mind in regards to the inconsistency with the front seven. Despite Wise & Butler playing massive snaps the defense is still 12th in sacks (7 total between the two) & the D would probably be elite with Hightower behind them.

I think we’ve found a starting EDGE rusher of the future across Flowers & our replacement for Easley if Butler gets stronger in the offseason.

Getting sacks does t mean you aren’t doing your job. Jones played great here and did everything he was asked well. The fact that Arizona defines his job differently so he is able to get more sacks doesn’t mesn he didn’t do his job here.
Unless what you are saying is the job of a guy who is an excellent pass rusher as well as good everything B.B. asks is more valuable to a team like az, which i would agree with.

There was a lot of conversation here about Jones not doing well with assignments other than pass rushing. The inference was that he wasn't willing to commit energy to the team-first assignments that the Pats value, like filling gaps so others can make tackles, and dropping back into coverage so others can get an opening to the QB. I've know idea is that conversation was valid, but that's the basis of the thinking of why he got traded, beyond the $$ demands.

It seems to me that the Pats have almost entirely rebuilt their front-seven this season, as well as the WR corps ... on the fly and at a much faster pace than, I'd wager, they originally intended. And yet they're 12-3 and on target for having the #1 seed. Again.

Holy ****e, we are well-and-truly spoiled as fans.

There was a lot of conversation here about Jones not doing well with assignments other than pass rushing. The inference was that he wasn't willing to commit energy to the team-first assignments that the Pats value, like filling gaps so others can make tackles, and dropping back into coverage so others can get an opening to the QB. I've know idea is that conversation was valid, but that's the basis of the thinking of why he got traded, beyond the $$ demands.
Well that conversation was wrong.
It’s in film. Jones was a very good run defender here. He even played solid 2 gap run d headup on OTs when asked.
He dropped into coverage when needed but that wasn’t a big part of the scheme then either.
He played over the g in passing situations as well.
There has never been a claim from anyone within foxboro that he complained about anything he was ever asked to do.

He was traded because of the contract he would have gotten on the open market so instead of letting him walk free for an offer outside of what we would ever pay for that role we got something for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back