PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Tackle Attempt on Chandler Jones - There was no shot

That's it, man. I get that you have your thing on this board. Hell, you might be the most active poster here but...yeah, I've had enough. The derogatory nicknames, the general negativity (and I don't blame you for being negative this season but it's always the same thing good or bad) and just overall crankiness.

If I wasn't such a long-time member of the this forum, I'd just block you and that would be it but I wanted to let you know. I'm sure I'm not the first and I know I won't be the last. I hope, one day, that the Pats will live up to your exacting standards.

What could possibly have been so dam offensive about that last post of mine?!? That ownership has some very tough decisions ahead of them, including the future of their current, 71-year-old HC/GM? Is that not true? So how can The Truth be offensive to you or to anyone else?!?

26-28

People waste time saying it's Rham's fault or Meyer's fault - of course it is!
But, despite that - once those stupid decisions were done, Mac was THE LAST chance of saving the game.
And there is absolutely more effort that he could have, and should have made in that tackle.
Being shocked at Meyer's pass doesn't count for why he got steamrolled. He should have had all the rage in the world and attacked, not fell down while Chandler ran toward him. The stiff-arm would never have happened if Mac charged for his legs and tried to wrap him up. Chandler would have tripped and fell if he gave even a bit of effort with some awareness.

Mac is a QB. Even back in high school, QBs were not taught proper tackling techniques unless you played at a school where players played both ways.

Could Jones tried to make a better tackle? Yes, of course. His attempt was pretty poor. But saying that and expecting a 217 lb QB with a 260 LB LBer running right at him in the heat of the moment to execute a proper tackling technique may be a bit too much to expect.

But if you look at the video, Mac Jones looked to be going down low to Chandler Jones' waist or hips when he got stiff armed. But even if he did, he probably wouldn't have slowed Chandler down because Mac was flat footed when he did.

But then again QBs play offense for a reason. Brady in his time here has made some epically bad tackle attempts too. That is what QBs do.

There was no shot at all. You have a 260 lb DE running full force at a 220 lb QB standing still. Who in their right mind expects Mac to make that tackle?
Half of Patriots fans

JE11 and Ty Law.
I would have liked to see either of those guys in their prime try to tackle Chandler Jones with a full head of steam. Would have gone about the same with Law having a slightly better chance than JE (since tackling was part of his everyday job).

Look, at the end of the day, Mac should never have been put in that position. Yup he had a crappy game. For some, his histrionics are wearing thin. But the playcall was bad, the decision to lateral to Meyers was bad and the backwards pass by Meyers was bad. And all that badness led to a bad tackling attempt by a player probably as stunned by those events as we were against a larger player with a full head of steam. A player who stiff-armed Mac who was trying to go low to take his legs out.

Last edited:
I put these in another thread, but Jones did actually try to tackle him, but Chandler Jones has such ridiculously long arms, he had no shot:

1671558557155-png.48382

From there, there wasn't anyone even close enough to chase him down and make a play:

1671558609664-png.48383

There was no one close other than offensive linemen. If we were placing our hopes for Onwenu to chase him down, even if Jones had held him a little longer, obviously that's not likely. And there was no one, save for maybe Hunter Henry, who was even close enough speed-wise after that to stop it.

Again, the fact people are mad at Mac about this is a little unfair. I wouldn't have been mad at Brady back in the day either, because a QB's body isn't made for making a tackle and the risk of injury isn't worth it. If it's between your QB and a defensive end a the end of a game, something has clearly gone terribly bad enough where you deserve to lose. And that's - unfortunately - what happened :(
Doesn't matter. It was the wrong play call, an encapsulation of everything that has gone wrong with this season.

Taking a knee, or even a hail Mary, should have been the call... They were playing well enough that getting to OT should have been a priority... Mac should never have been in that position where he had to try and tackle Chandler Jones...

This goes directly to your thread "coaching matters"... It does. The offensive coaches deserve to be pilloried for their decisions on all levels.

I'm going to come clean. I am the one who farted in the GDT. I know it was a bad one because even I was disgusted by the smell. I apologize.

But I was not the mystery poster who blamed Mac for the final play.

Hope you had a clean bum! Too many dingleberries hanging around down there and that would turn into a sawed off shotgun gas blast

Looks like Bourne agrees with Edelman on how Mac should have made the tackle.

Mac should have never been put in that position in the first place you have to ask, who in gods name was the ball being lateraled to, and if it were mac, the play was even more boneheaded and idiotic than it appeared

I just think getting worked up over this tackling attempt is so pointless because it's so far down the list of issues in this game. Meyers literally lateraled the ball directly to a Raiders player with 0 time on the clock in a tie game headed for overtime. The defense crapped it's pants at the end allowing the Raiders to march down, the refs blew the call on the TD, the special teams allowed another blocked punt in idiotic fashion, we had TDs wiped off the board due to clock/pre-snap management, Mac himself played poorly, etc, etc, etc. It seems so silly to zone in on the tackling attempt there.

That's very likely the message that BB delivered in the locker room after the game.. that there were plenty of other errors, and if those errors didn't happen, then the dumb lateral doesn't happen.

They are all far beyond it by now. Only the media and this board are stewing in it, after all this time.

They are all far beyond it by now. Only the media and this board are stewing in it, after all this time.
Oh, I highly doubt that. If you think we care a lot about this team and the direction its headed in, what do you think about the people playing on it?

Hope you had a clean bum! Too many dingleberries hanging around down there and that would turn into a sawed off shotgun gas blast
I always keep it clean, even scrub my taint with a wire brush.

My dinglebuddies demand cleanliness!

Chandler Jones stiff armed Mac Jones like he was the JV kid going up against the varsity squad. Yes, Mac Jones got punked. But it was just a better football play be Chandler Jones. We know Mac isn't that strong or athletic, why does this result surprise us? All it confirms for me is we probably shouldn't have cheaped out on Chandler Jones second contract. That dude can BALL! Also if your complaint is that we want a more athletic QB, you can blame BB for not moving up for Justin Fields.

Mac Jones was to blame for the loss, but it was his terrible passing as a QB, not his missed tackle where he was just physically outmuscled that caused most of the damage. I would call that play more of a humiliation topping to the humble pie that he got served on that day. And yes Edelman has a right to rip Mac Jones for his terrible play, poor body language, and general lack of leadership leading up to that moment.

I believe Mac Jones is mentally COOKED. Let's FREE Bailey Zappe!!

Last edited:
Chandler Jones stiff armed Mac Jones like he was the JV kid going up against the varsity squad. Yes, Mac Jones got punked. But it was just a better football play be Chandler Jones. We know Mac isn't that strong or athletic, why does this result surprise us? All it confirms for me is we probably shouldn't have cheaped out on Chandler Jones second contract. That dude can BALL! Also if your complaint is that we want a more athletic QB, you can blame BB for not moving up for Justin Fields.
Mac was a good fit for the system they had in place with McDaniels, no?

Mac was a good fit for the system they had in place with McDaniels, no?
Mac Jones looked good in 2021. He looks COOKED in 2022. There's no way to mince words here. Mac Jones has severely regressed.

Mac Jones looked good in 2021. He looks COOKED in 2022. There's no way to mince words here. Mac Jones has severely regressed.
Agreed. And what has changed in 2022?

All it confirms for me is we probably shouldn't have cheaped out on Chandler Jones second contract. That dude can BALL!
Pats traded Jones and freed up money so that they could go after Gilmore and resign Hightower. Plus they netted a pick which they swung for Joe Thuney.

And after they traded Jones they went to 3 super bowls in a row, winning 2 of them.

Setting aside the question on whether Mac Jones could have done anything to Chandler Jones other than be planted into the turf by a stiff arm, an effective trip would have kept Chandler Jones from scoring. However, that wouldn’t have resulted in overtime.

If officiated properly, Mac Jones would have been called for tripping. The penalty would have been 10 yards from the spot of the foul. Since the trip would have happened at the New England 44, the Raiders would have had an untimed down from the Patriots’ 34.

That’s a 52-yard field goal. If kicker Daniel Carlson, who had made nine of 11 field goals from 50 or more yards this season, had nailed the effort, the Raiders would have won.

There’s also a chance, albeit very slim, that the officials would have regarded a blatant, game-saving trip by Mac Jones to be a “palpably unfair act,” giving the Raiders the touchdown and the victory.

Interesting. I've never in my lifetime seen a 'patently unfair' touchdown awarded. This is actually a thing in the rule book that has been called in an actual NFL game? If so When?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back