PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will you be pissed if pats trade down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say for a 3rd and 4th?

I would be ECSTATIC.

MY Mock has us trading MULTIPLE times into the 3rd and 4th, where I believe ENORMOUS Value lies, this year.

And Coach Bill + Crew have shown themselves HIGHLY astute ~ since the departure of Brother Scott Pioli ~ at extracting gems from gravel, so I say Bring ON The Trade Down!! :rocker:

As with every year, it would depend on who was still on the board at the time vs. positions of need. I don't see how anybody can make that call right now. Talk to me again in a week.

I would be ECSTATIC.

MY Mock has us trading MULTIPLE times into the 3rd and 4th, where I believe ENORMOUS Value lies, this year.

And Coach Bill + Crew have shown themselves HIGHLY astute ~ since the departure of Brother Scott Pioli ~ at extracting gems from gravel, so I say Bring ON The Trade Down!! :rocker:

Off The Grid, your one of the best posters here and certainly know your draft stuff, I just have two questions.

In your mocks with all the trade downs, how many total players do you have the pats taking in the draft?

How many rookies do you feel can make the 2011 team?

Off The Grid, your one of the best posters here and certainly know your draft stuff, I just have two questions.

In your mocks with all the trade downs, how many total players do you have the pats taking in the draft?

Kind words, Brother Snow, and I humbly thank you for them.

Regarding your queries: The answers will be forthcoming SOON. :D

It's never really a question of "how many rookies can make the team". The question is, "How good is the overall quality of your 80-man camp roster from which you select your team?"

If you add up all the new faces on any team's 80-man roster over the years (from late-round picks, UDFAs, unrestricted FAs) it probably averages somewhere between 12-16 every year. It would be extremely unusual, and probably unwise, for any coach/FO to say, "Well, we probably have only 6-8 spots on the 53-man wide open, so that's all the players we're going to draft."

It's never really a question of "how many rookies can make the team". The question is, "How good is the overall quality of your 80-man camp roster from which you select your team?"

If you add up all the new faces on any team's 80-man roster over the years (from late-round picks, UDFAs, unrestricted FAs) it probably averages somewhere between 12-16 every year. It would be extremely unusual, and probably unwise, for any coach/FO to say, "Well, we probably have only 6-8 spots on the 53-man wide open, so that's all the players we're going to draft."

PERFECTION.

Those of you from THAT school:

READ it.

LEARN it.

LOVE it. :rocker:

We have a 61 Man Roster, including the P Squad.

Including the Phantom Roster, that's probably 64 or so...

...And it may very well EXPAND, as part of the new CBA.

Looking at the current Roster, I see only about 32 guys who I would call Locked and Loaded for the 53.

This "We only have room for 6 or so guys" nonsense is pure MYTH.

Hmmmm, now that you state it like that I see both of your arguments. The 6-8 rookies max that can make the team does seem stupid now. :p

Its April 20th, 8 days from draft day. What do you mean "soon" Off the Grid? We want to see your mock, when are you releasing it, draft day? :D

This year I will be. There isn't enough roster space for all these kids to make the team if the pats traded down. I expect a trade up and/or trading picks into 2012.

BB will definitely trade down for more picks. Right now, the Pats only have 5 picks in 2012.

They traded 1 for Page and the other for a jag LB.

BB will definitely trade down for more picks. Right now, the Pats only have 5 picks in 2012.

They traded 1 for Page and the other for a jag LB.

Y'know, the WAY BB trades this year might be considered a "canary in the coal mine." I'm inclined to think that Bob Kraft is one of the more plugged-in and prescient owners. If BB does NOT trade for any 2012 picks, there might be bad news in store about the 2012 draft. OTOH, if he does his usual, that may well mean that the kids are alright.

with the goal to winanother 2 or 3 superbowls with tb at quarterback, at some point if the players you want are there for the taking, take them! this constant trading for future picks is smart, but i want a loaded beast(especially coming off a 14-2 season). i want the haters to be in full voice when we win it all. and yes i would settle for rebuilding years after tb if that's what it takes to win now.:eek:

My first reaction, like some previous posters, was "it all depends who's available." If the handful of players I think are worth spending #17 on are all gone, why stay put?

But then that raised the question, "If the handful of genuine Pats-style impact first rounders are all gone by #17, why the heck are they sitting at #17? Why didn't they trade up?"

It's perfectly possible, of course, that a trade down from #17 will be part of a grand maneuvering to get a handful of players in the 20-40 range. The prudent thing is to wait until the end of day 2 before assessing any individual move. But to heck with prudence. If the obvious targets all go in the 10-16 range and then the Pats trade down from 17, it's going to feel like a wasted opportunity.

By the time Dallas is "on the clock" at #9 we should all have a fairly good idea if the Pats will be looking to move up a few to "target" someone specific. In my mind it has to be Quinn or Prince or Watt, possibly Julio but I doubt it.

At 17 the draft should "fall" to us without a move. The one team I fear the most is Jacksonville at #16

If Kerrigan, Watt, Smith, and Jordan are all gone, then I'd be OK with a move down to the mid 20's. I'm fine and fully expect us to trade EITHER 28 or 33 down. However I'd be pissed if we trade BOTH. I'd prefer that we move up to make sure we don't miss out on all of these players. In fact I'd trade up to get 2 of them

Right now we own 3 picks in the first 33. I do NOT want to end up with one mid round first round pick 5 2nd and 3 round picks. This is not the year to add solid football players. Its the year we should be adding immediate IMPACT players.

I know what your saying but look at the 2nd and 3rd rounders last year. Gronk, Spikes Cunningham price and a 2nd in 2012. Starting ILB, OLB and TE and a WR who had a red shirt year.

I'd be perfectly happy with that. The premise that impact players can only be found in the 1st round is slightly off.

But i do get what your saying, i want 6 players from this draft OT, OG/C, RB, OLB, DE and maybe a WR/CB but the rest of the picks i want to move to next year if possible as Warren, Bodden and McGowan coming back are like 3 extra draft picks. I'm happy with BB figuring out when to take them and whether he can get more picks on the way

id be Epicly surprised if the patriots select a RB, WR or OLB before 28 or trade up to get one.

other than that, nothing much else would surprise me be it trade up down or sideways.

I presume that the Op is talking about #17, as if we have a one pick draft.

I would not be pi$$ed if we traded down, certainly not if Jordan, Watt and Quinn are all gone. Of course, we could also pick an OT at 17.

#28, #33
I would not be pi$$ed if we traded down. It seems likely that we will with one of our picks. However, I could also see us pulling the trigger on say Watkins and Reed at 28 and 33.

I know what your saying but look at the 2nd and 3rd rounders last year. Gronk, Spikes Cunningham price and a 2nd in 2012. Starting ILB, OLB and TE and a WR who had a red shirt year.

I'd be perfectly happy with that. The premise that impact players can only be found in the 1st round is slightly off.

But i do get what your saying, i want 6 players from this draft OT, OG/C, RB, OLB, DE and maybe a WR/CB but the rest of the picks i want to move to next year if possible as Warren, Bodden and McGowan coming back are like 3 extra draft picks. I'm happy with BB figuring out when to take them and whether he can get more picks on the way

Your general thought about the good value in rds 2-3 makes a lot of sense; but as much as I like him, I am unsure if McGowan is going to come back as he is an UFA and they very well may move on. We should have 5 on the 53 man: (and that's without drafting any, which they very well may in the mid to late rds)

Meriweather
Sanders
Chung
Josh Barrett
Sergio Brown/draft pick/McGowan as the 5th safety

To answer the OP's question, I am actually expecting them to trade down at 17, somewhere to the early 20's--where they may want either Wilkerson or Heyward. They should both be able to provide the size, consistency, (sans 'stats,' ) good leadership, and NFL upside that will be needed to take on doubles and shed and move blockers to free space up in our system.

Stats be damned, these are 2 guys who I personally believe would be fine Patriot DE's for the reasons listed above. That, and the fact that they should be able to provide some versatility also, lining up inside in 4-3 formations. If Watt is still there at 17, all bets are off, but I do not expect him to be.

I think they would both be reaches at 17, and we can get one + add another valuable pick by moving down in the early to mid 20's.

By the time Dallas is "on the clock" at #9 we should all have a fairly good idea if the Pats will be looking to move up a few to "target" someone specific. In my mind it has to be Quinn or Prince or Watt, possibly Julio but I doubt it.

At 17 the draft should "fall" to us without a move. The one team I fear the most is Jacksonville at #16

I agree that JAX could be targeting the same type of player. I still fear SD at 18 too, as I think they will try and move up (they have a lot of picks too). I also kind of fear anyone after about 10-15 though too, LOL :D

After about 10, there's a lot of teams that could be targeting front 7.

No because I've been conditioned to expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference