PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
updated thru today

Jets 307 yards per game allowed (229 pass yards allowed), 19.8 ppg
Pats 346 yards per game allowed (249 pass yards allowed), 19.0 ppg

How much of the difference in defensive performance can be attributed to the other two units?

That is simply not correct, and I've already given an example of how it's not. There was no garbage time, at all, in the Jets game, just for the most obvious example.

I think it's a great angle to approach the topic. The point Rich Hill was trying to make was that the Patriots are by far, the quickest team to reach garbage time and build a firm lead. Which inevitably affects how the Defense plays.

I think it's a great angle to approach the topic.

It's a clearly erroneous approach. I don't know what more to say about it. The Jets were a flinch and time runoff away from having an opportunity to tie the game with one throw from inside the Patriots 40 yard line. That's not anything remotely approaching garbage time.

updated thru today

Jets 307 yards per game allowed (229 pass yards allowed), 19.8 ppg
Pats 346 yards per game allowed (249 pass yards allowed), 19.0 ppg

i bet they also have one more turnover per game than us. the jets d is better than the patriots d, although not by much at this point. their linebackers and safety depth will get exposed.

So which is it? If every category is out of the top ten, or only one? Or something in between? It would be nice if you defined your terms a little more definitively. You might not get so many people arguing with you.

umm... I guess you don't understand what taking the average of every category score means?

umm... I guess you don't understand what taking the average of every category score means?

It dosent work that way and you know it. It would like saying every player on a football team should be paid the same

734b3tm.gif

Please tell me who we have behind Hightower and Collins? Mayo? The guy who hasn't seen a snap in basically two years and isn't even playing now? If he was any good right now, he would get SOME snaps. So we have two great linebackers... there's no one behind them.

You guys must be really blind.

Freeny and Mayo and 2nd rd pick Jon Bostic are backing up perhaps two Pro Bowl line backers with Collins perhaps an All Pro and we dont have LB depth???? Then you have Fletcher on the PUP and Flemming and Martin on the PS

Not to mention the fact that Ninko can easily take snaps at the LB position especially when you have Sheard to step in.

Yeah, I am going to go ahead and disagree with you on that "no depth at LB" thing. That aint good dude.

If Mayo could play, he would be getting some snaps now. He's either injured or a shell of himself, and that's why Freeny is getting snaps in his place... And Freeny is not someone you want on the field for a lot of snaps. Jon Bostic has done nothing in this league. Fletcher... PUP... Anyone behind that, you don't want started at LB. And you'd rather keep Ninko at the end than have him as a LB... otherwise he would be playing more LB.

So really, Freeny is our depth, and Freeny isn't starter-quality. Hightower being out one week proves that. Go watch how much Hightower was missed.

Please tell me who we have behind Hightower and Collins? Mayo? The guy who hasn't seen a snap in basically two years and isn't even playing now? If he was any good right now, he would get SOME snaps. So we have two great linebackers... there's no one behind them.

You guys must be really blind.

We....only play two....

Freeny and Mayo as depth at LB is something most teams would drool over.

i bet they also have one more turnover per game than us. the jets d is better than the patriots d, although not by much at this point. their linebackers and safety depth will get exposed.
I highly doubt the pats would give up 34 points to the raiders. Mabye the jets d was better 2 weeks ago but we ripped their heart out and stomped on it. They will not be the same the rest of the year, you watch.

It dosent work that way and you know it. It would like saying every player on a football team should be paid the same

Alright, we can look at the how many categories they're in the top 10 in? How would you suggest it be done? Ignore every one of them except for one? That doesn't really tell the whole story. Top 10 is a statistic, therefore you can only label it with statistics.

I highly doubt the pats would give up 34 points to the raiders. Mabye the jets d was better 2 weeks ago but we ripped their heart out and stomped on it. They will not be the same the rest of the year, you watch.

What makes you think we ripped their heart out and stomped on it? Anything to back up that claim? Player quotes? Coach quotes? Or just assuming that's what we did?

What makes you think we ripped their heart out and stomped on it? Anything to back up that claim? Player quotes? Coach quotes? Or just assuming that's what we did?
Well the fact that they responded to the heartbreaking loss we handed them by getting their **** pushed in by the Oakland Raiders. I don't think a player or a coach would admit to being mentally destroyed after a loss, so sorry I don't have any quotes.

We can all see from the eye test that the Pats defense looks good and is continuing to grow as a unit, although we're still cautiously optimistic about the state/depth of the CBs. That pretty much wraps it up.

At the end of the day, a $5 dollar bill and a handful of these NextGen stats will still only get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. As myself and others have pointed out, there's certainly some subjectivity to it anyway. All 3 of the main AFC competitors have solid defenses. The games will be played out on the field, and will depend upon certain individual matchups and variables that we cannot predict by looking at the win probability of past games.

We can all see from the eye test that the Pats defense looks good and is continuing to grow as a unit, although we're still cautiously optimistic about the state/depth of the CBs. That pretty much wraps it up.

At the end of the day, a $5 dollar bill and a handful of these NextGen stats will still only get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. As myself and others have pointed out, there's certainly some subjectivity to it anyway. All 3 of the main AFC competitors have solid defenses. The games will be played out on the field, and will depend upon certain individual matchups and variables that we cannot predict by looking at the win probability of past games.

I have nothing to add to this excellent post except THIS...as a New England Patriot fan I will take my chances with Tom Brady as MY QB for the team I have backed my entire life. If anyone is so in love with Discount Double Dork or DuckThrower the sexual assault artist that they want to jump on one of THOSE bandwagons, DO IT....do it now.

My OP is wrong because the season is not over? "Will this defense be top 10?" implies that it's speaking of the future. It does not say "this defense is not top 10." It says "will." This also includes red zone D and third down D. It includes everything about the defense -- every little thing.

That's a really silly reason to call me wrong. In fact, if i'm wrong because the season isn't over, then you're wrong because the season isn't over too. How can you make statements about this defense but I cannot? If I cannot say this defense is not top 10 until the season is over, then you cannot say it is.

Sad you have to call me a moron because of your flawed and pointless argument there. I guess that level of stupidity can't be blamed entirely on you, your parents should have raised you better. Instead, they've raised someone who gets angry, TYPES every OTHER word IN caps to express said anger, and attacks people on message boards for not agreeing with his opinion.

It's okay, we're all going to make it brah.

Clearly you can't even follow your own argument. In the post I replied you, you were thumping your chest about being right because the Pats 3rd down defense and Red Zone defense are in the lower half of the league. The point was that you can't say you're right when the league year isn't over and the team has improved each week.

Furthermore, your original argument had nothing to do with the Red Zone D or 3rd Down D. You claiming otherwise is an outright lie on your part. You purposely ignored them to begin with and only brought them up when people started taking you to task over your stupidity.

The fact that you are such a simpleton and think that because a person happens to put an emphasis on a word or two in a post means that they are "angry" shows that you don't even belong posting on a message board because of just how clueless you are.

If I wanted to "attack" you, you'd know it. All I've done is show that you lack the ability to have a cogent conversation with anyone without attempting to change what you claimed. If anyone has attacked anyone, you attacked me by pathetically attacking my parents.

If you don't want to be called a moron or be treated like one then stop acting like one. Be a man. Admit that you were wrong and move on..

So which is it? If every category is out of the top ten, or only one? Or something in between? It would be nice if you defined your terms a little more definitively. You might not get so many people arguing with you.

He won't commit to that. If he did, then he knows he's going to lose and he can't have that. He's got to have a way that he can spin himself to be right.

Look at what his answer to you was..

If the average of every category is out of the top 10, if the defense falls apart in the playoffs, or if one major injury derails the entire D and shows the lack of depth at LB or CB. The eye test works too, although they've done pretty well from what I can see so far.

The "average" of every category.. who takes the "average" of every category to determine how good a defense is?? Only a person trying to spin it in a way that he can't be wrong does that. That's why he started talking about the Red Zone D and the 3rd Down D. Because he sees that the Pats defense is improving and he's trying to do anything he can to make himself look smart..

OMG...Interslashedandburnt....someone call the undertaker....

Raatajat_rahanalaiset.JPG

So, the Jets D is better than the Pats D. The Jets D that the Patriots hung 30 points on?
The Jets D that has allowed more points per game (19.9) than the Patriots D (19.0). That also means the Jets (139) have allowed more points than the Pats (133).

The Jets (15) do not have 1 full turnover more per game than the Patriots (10).

The Patriots do have more Passes defensed (41) than the Jets (39). And that is with the Jets (275) having more passing attempts against them than the Pats (273).

The Patriots (26) also have more sacks than the Jets (11).

The biggest stat that tells the difference between the Pats D and the Jets D is wins. The Patriots D has 7 wins while the Jets D has 4.

So, you can talk all day about Red Zone D and 3rd Down D and cherry pick all you want to try and show your argument is somehow "valid", but in the end, it shows that you aren't man enough to just admit how wrong you are and how much you just don't understand the game.

NO no no DaB...you are an idiot. The Jets went into Oakland today and choked out the formidable Oakland offense, 20-34. If you take the average of all Jet scores and subtract out half of the Oakland scores, add in a free Revis($3.50 p&h) beanie and refocus your green bifocals, you'll see THIS is the real truth. You Patriot fans never cease to amaze...why can't you see that your team is an average, subpar collection of nobodies and castoffs?o_O

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back