PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Patrick Chung make the final roster?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Patrick Chung make the final roster?

• Yes

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • He'll be cut and then re-signed later in the year

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Obviously no one knows right now. just looking to see what the consensus opinion is before pre-season begins

Hope not.

I'd put his odds as pretty good but I don't know anything about how he has done in camp so my opinion counts for nothing. We all know they will carry someone for when Browner is suspended and Chung could be that guy and someone that they have waiting on their couch for a call after he gets cut.

Nope. Granted my vote is influenced by my dislike of his game.

Not sure if there will be room for Chung once it gets down to the 53. Just too much talent this season. He would have to show some serious special teams talent to usurp someone like Ebner. I don't think Chung was as talented as Marquise Cole or Sergio Brown on special teams. (The one reason those two were on the team.)

I'm not they would have bothered signing him if they didn't think they would carry him, doesn't make much sense. Can't be compared to rookie free agent that is for sure.

I voted yes just because I wanna see this board go nuts if he does. lol! :D

How many of Chung/Wilson/Ebner are likely to make it? Base case is 2, I think. Could go lower; could be all 3 at least during Browner's suspension. If it's 2, he probably has a 40-50% chance of being one of them. Overall, I'd give him a 1/3 chance or so of being on the initial 53.

Yes, he makes it. I think he is a valuable backup with plenty of experience in both the league and our system. He also is a good special teams player, except for when he calls a fake punt....

No. Please no.

I think it's still 50/50, just like it's been the whole time. He benefits from a poor position, and possibly from his knowledge of the system and ST ability. He's on the outside looking in as it pertains to his coverage skills, which are obviously important.

He may make it, and he may end up being camp fodder who was experienced enough with our system to effectively run things in a better manner. I was surprised that he was even brought back to be honest.

I'm not as high on Chung as I was during his sophomore season, but I'm not particularly high on Ebner or Wilson either.

I think Chung has a good chance at landing a spot as a special teamer and back up.

I think Harmon wins the second safety job to start the season until week 5 when Browner returns and Ryan moves into it, Chung will be the top backup for the first 4 weeks receiving playing time if Harmon struggles. Either staying in the top backup or becoming a ST only player from week 5 and on. T.Wilson is out.

tldr: yes, Chung makes it IMO.

FWIW I believe Ryan (most recently, timing matched with Dennards return I believe?), Wilson, and Chung have all received a lot of snaps next to DMC.

FWIW I believe Ryan (most recently, timing matched with Dennards return I believe?), Wilson, and Chung have all received a lot of snaps next to DMC.

You're right about both TWilson and Chung seeing reps aside from DMcC, but that's actually a bit of a misconception about Ryan "receiving a lot of snaps."

According to Mike Reiss today, Ryan received the bulk of his snaps as the starting nickel CB, although he did line up next to McCourty as well for awhile. After all, he did play safety at times last year (sparingly), although I doubt that too many noticed. Aside from patsfanken's report, I haven't seen anything from any beat writers about Ryan taking snaps there. I'm not questioning Ken, I'm just saying that if it were that significant, I would have expected some more coverage about it.

I don't think there's anyway that L.Ryan is the full time safety, but we'll have to see. I think some of these drills are made to prepare players in case of situational matchups (with more CBs on the field in different looks) and/or emergency situations due to injury.

Belichick spoke of this topic back at the draft interview, and claimed that we'd be seeing some CB looks at safety, while referring to the fact that Ryan played there at times last year as well. I just don't think that means that he's moving to safety. He can be anywhere from CB2 to nickel back CB to safety, but I think they'll want to see him at CB for the majority of the looks, especially with Revis/Arrington's situations for next season.

Injuries will occur that will lower the number of available CBs, along with some poorer play. I think too many are looking at it from a best case scenario and trying to get Ryan on the field. Thing is, I don't believe that Belichick will have any problem getting him plenty of looks. For the season, he saw 51% last year, up to 55% if you include the playoffs.

I think the fact that we play the majority of looks in subs will allow the CB3 and even CB4 to see plenty of looks, depending on the matchup. In the meantime, I like the idea of giving other guys looks at different positions, as injuries will dictate where they line up in the regular season/post season.

Last edited:
I think Chung has a good chance at landing a spot as a special teamer and back up.

I think that's the only way he makes the team. He certainly isn't likely to start in my opinion, unless we're really hurting from injury.

The S3 only saw 36% of the snaps, and that was with McCourty and Gregory hurt at times last year. In comparison, the S4 (Wilson) only saw 1.6% of the reps.

I think Harmon is the S2, with competition from Wilson/Chung in the preseason. The latter two can battle it out for the S3-S4 spots. I'd even throw Ebner in the battle as well for a ST spot too, as they could keep an extra ST/safety until Browner returns.

Ohh God I hope not. ...

Chung best contribution as a Patriot was sucking so bad that we eventually moved D-Mac back their. Now we actually know what a good safety looks like.

I'm not they would have bothered signing him if they didn't think they would carry him, doesn't make much sense. Can't be compared to rookie free agent that is for sure.
The Patriots sign veteran free agents every year that don't make the 53 (Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones just last year).

If "Too Late" makes the roster, it's because Tavon Wilson is still making mental errors and the team is at the end of the line with him. He could also make the roster as a special teamer. If he does make the final cut, though, I pray to every God that there is that he never sees in-game action as a starting safety.

Simple math says that, unless the Patriots bring someone else in, either Wilson or Chung is likely to make the team as the S3.

That's some scary stuff.

Last edited:
In the camp reports I've read so far, Chung has forced fumbles but been beat in coverage several times.

Meanwhile, both Ryan and Wilson have played deep single high and made notable pass breakups on the sidelines.

So in the early going, and based on the way the Pats usually want their safeties to play, it would seem Wilson gets the safety job over Chung, and its Ebner vs. Chung for the ST spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes