PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will it be like 2017 or 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weve shown interest before and I think he could be decent in this offense . The achilles is a concern but id at least take a look
If it’s a cheap low risk contract sure, but if it’s the kind of money/guarantees that mean we will be relying on him, no thanks.

But we should know where a lot of the big free agents are going before that. Most were leaked during the 48 hour period beforehand last year.
Honestly, I kinda miss back when the FA news came all at once.

As we've seen Bill has no problem drafting & playing a rookie kicker.

BB is not paying Gost $6m no way.
He did that once. He has paid his kicker top dollar many times.

I’d rather just sign Golden Tate. A year younger, won’t have to trade for him, and likely cheaper.
He won’t be cheaper, but he isn’t coming off the type of injury that has a good chance of making a 32 yo WR a shadow of his former self.
Even though it didn’t work last year, I’d prefer the quantity approach at WR.

FYI I think the sanders talk is assuming he is cut. Trading for him and his contract would be idiotic.

Honestly, I kinda miss back when the FA news came all at once.

Me too. They should scrap the 48 hour negotiating period and just move the start of the new year two days forward.

I’d rather just sign Golden Tate. A year younger, won’t have to trade for him, and likely cheaper.
I really like Tate but if he truly wants 9-10 mln. Per season what some medias have suggested it is not gonna happen.

If I read Miguel right the team has ~$16.9m available cap. Sure they can make some moves to reduce Tom, Gronk, DMc and maybe a couple of others to get them to maybe ~$30m but that still doesn't give them a crazy amount of space to play with.

As a comparison, before signing Gilly in 2017 they had over $60m in free space.

It might be 2018 because Patriot free agents get offers the Patriots will not match. But, it will not be because of available cap space. They will probably have around $20 million of cap space when the new league year begins, but cap hits can be structured in a way to minimize the number in the current year.

The Patriots are actually in great cap shape when you look out at the next couple of years. Right now they are $113 million under in 2020 for instance.

Me too. They should scrap the 48 hour negotiating period and just move the start of the new year two days forward.

I like having the 48 hour period. This events someone from making a deal without seeing what everyone else offers. Essentially it allows a short period where all teams and agents put out there offered and make decisions. While it does not prevent snap decisions, it tends to do so.
=====
Also, it allows teams more time to consider decisions on RFA's and last minute cuts, depending on whether they can sign their own before the season starts.

Consider that someone had a OL they were thinking of cutting and then getting a replacement on the market. They might find that none of their targets were shown a lot of interest, in which case, it would be relatively safe to cut their own player. On the other hand, suppose that several OL's were snapped up at high prices, and few players were left of any interest, then the team might decide NOT to cut their player.

It might be 2018 because Patriot free agents get offers the Patriots will not match. But, it will not be because of available cap space. They will probably have around $20 million of cap space when the new league year begins, but cap hits can be structured in a way to minimize the number in the current year.

The Patriots are actually in great cap shape when you look out at the next couple of years. Right now they are $113 million under in 2020 for instance.
Yes. It will be a balance. They will extend Tom/Gronk/DMc because they project them to be able to still play and not because they are trying to open up cap space.

If I read Miguel right the team has ~$16.9m available cap. Sure they can make some moves to reduce Tom, Gronk, DMc and maybe a couple of others to get them to maybe ~$30m but that still doesn't give them a crazy amount of space to play with.

As a comparison, before signing Gilly in 2017 they had over $60m in free space.

Nitpick. It's $16,516,721 cap space including Bennett onboard.
I don't see them getting past $25M with viable restructures, but that is not a researched opinion.

I don't see them getting past $25M with viable restructures, but that is not a researched opinion.
Thanks. It was from memory and clearly my memory sucks.

Agree. I see a restructure for Tom. Gronk and DMc no clue. It goes back to the age thing.

I think it could go higher than that.

Not at Gost's current age he has.
Yes gost is the same age as av when bb let him walk. That seems coincidental to me.
But I was referring to “bb doesn’t mind having a rookie kicker”. IMO the fact he usually has one of the highest paid vet kickers in the league is more insightful than that he once used a rookie k.

Yes gost is the same age as av when bb let him walk. That seems coincidental to me.
But I was referring to “bb doesn’t mind having a rookie kicker”. IMO the fact he usually has one of the highest paid vet kickers in the league is more insightful than that he once used a rookie k.
Yep. Agree. He has no problem paying the K $$

He won’t be cheaper, but he isn’t coming off the type of injury that has a good chance of making a 32 yo WR a shadow of his former self.
Even though it didn’t work last year, I’d prefer the quantity approach at WR.

FYI I think the sanders talk is assuming he is cut. Trading for him and his contract would be idiotic.

Correct, my interest personally is assuming hes cut and looking to sign a cheap prove it contract. Its a risk so if he’s looking to get paid again im with you on that.

I think it could go higher than that.
I don’t see much cap saving opportunity.
Brady may save a couple mill may not.
Gilmore concerted last year to push 3 mil into the future so going back to that well is questionable.
Gronk and mccourty are around 9.5 a piece but then you have to replace them which will be very expensive.

I really like Tate but if he truly wants 9-10 mln. Per season what some medias have suggested it is not gonna happen.
He’s also stated that he wants to win. Perhaps he’d take less to come here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes