PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will it be like 2017 or 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's likely we won't do much in FA and lose Brown and Flowers. A few minor signings, a few restructed contracts and a few trades for veteran players. I'm not 100% sure on Flowers but I think it's more likely that he leaves.

I am putting my chips in this years draft, I don’t know if we going to keep any of our free agents.
Flowers would be big, but if he is gone we got an insurance policy in Bennett...
This move was because the Pats most likely think they will lose Flowers to FA.

I am not sure how strong this years draft will be for pass rushers, but hope we find a gem in the lower rounds.

I also wish we pick a top talent wide receiver that is big and physical since I don’t have much faith in Gordon.

like 2018 when we watched Nate Solder, Malcolm Butler and Dion Lewis leave without any replacements in sight?
Titans signed Butler on March 13 of 2018. The pats traded for JMac a couple of days later.
Butler had a 6 mil cap hit last year. Its 13 mil this yeat.
Jmac had a 3 mil cap hit.

Malcolm Butler statistically worst corner in NFL so far, so maybe Belichick was right

Titans signed Lewis March 15, 2018. Pats signed Hill one day later at almost 1/4 the cap hit.. Hill got injured and the Pats drafted Michel. So Last year:
Michel 981 YFS 480K salary 1.75 mil cap hit
Lewis 917 YFM 2 mil salary 4 mil cap hit

Pats tried to keep Soldier with a very solid offer. The details of the Giant offer and where Nate wanted his family ultimately made the Giants the winner. 1.5 months later the pats signed the best LT in Football

Then they won the SB

So, I am not sure what your "no replacements in sight" comment is about when 2 out of the 3 were replaced a couple days later.

Nitpick. It's $16,516,721 cap space including Bennett onboard.
I don't see them getting past $25M with viable restructures, but that is not a researched opinion.

There's more than $8M in restructures/extensions/cuts for Gronk, Brady, McCourty, Van Noy, Mason and Clayborn.

I am putting my chips in this years draft, I don’t know if we going to keep any of our free agents.
Flowers would be big, but if he is gone we got an insurance policy in Bennett...

I am not sure how strong this years draft will be for pass rushers, but hope we find a gem in the lower rounds.

I also wish we pick a top talent wide receiver that is big and physical since I don’t have much faith in Gordon.
Agree on the draft, so I’d love to see the Pats get TE Noah Fant in the 1st round and maybe trade up in the 2nd to get WR Hakeem Butler. That would make this offense really tough to stop in the red zone. Not that they’re awful, now, but would make the offense more explosive. If they can’t get Butler, would love to see them land WR Miles Boykin. We saw how much more explosive this offense was with Josh Gordon, I doubt he will be back, so a big, fast receiver to add to this offense would be a great weapon. Plus another pass catching TE, even IF Gronk comes back one more year.

Call it minor, or call it major.

I guess I look at it more simply. We will re-sign, tender or replace all our players. And, yes, Belichick will look for upgrades in the draft (perhaps double dipping to get a TE. Does that mean that I expect more than 15 transactions before the draft? Yup, probably.

[Allen]
Hogan
Dorsett
Patterson
Hill
Gordon
Brown (T)
Waddle
Shelton
Brown (M)
Humber
McClellan
McCourty
Jones
Rowe
Allen (R)
Gostkowski

Schwenke has already re-signed.
Bennett (DE) has already been signed.

I think it's likely we won't do much in FA and lose Brown and Flowers. A few minor signings, a few restructed contracts and a few trades for veteran players. I'm not 100% sure on Flowers but I think it's more likely that he leaves.

With Michael Bennett in the building, 2019 will resemble 2009 more than 2018 or even 2017.

Titans signed Butler on March 13 of 2018. The pats traded for JMac a couple of days later.

Malcolm Butler statistically worst corner in NFL so far, so maybe Belichick was right

Titans signed Lewis March 15, 2018. Pats signed Hill one day later at almost 1/4 the cap hit.. Hill got injured and the Pats drafted Michel. So Last year:

Pats tried to keep Soldier with a very solid offer. The details of the Giant offer and where Nate wanted his family ultimately made the Giants the winner. 1.5 months later the pats signed the best LT in Football

Then they won the SB

So, I am not sure what your "no replacements in sight" comment is about when 2 out of the 3 were replaced a couple days later.
BB was right on everything.

Right on JMc, paying Gilly more than Malcolm and having faith in the scouting (see JC Jackson)

Right on Brown over Solder

Right on Sony over DLew.

Friggan masterstroke.

I think they are drafting a end of the line DE/Edge 1st...or moving up.

With Michael Bennett in the building, 2019 will resemble 2009...

Didn't we just spend 14 weeks of 2018 making the same comparison? Let's tap the brakes on this take.

Regards,
Chris

As we've seen Bill has no problem drafting & playing a rookie kicker.

BB is not paying Gost $6m no way.
At 35 years old, this might be the year they move on from Gost. Granted AV is still playing at 46, but Foxboro isn't in a dome and he is unique...
Gost may still have a few good years left in him but if they can find the kicker of the future in the draft ( Cole Tracy LSU or McLaughlin from Illinois) I can see it happening as well as maybe signing a FA(fairbairn or Forbath)in the alternative. Or more likely both.

At 35 years old, this might be the year they move on from Gost. Granted AV is still playing at 46, but Foxboro isn't in a dome and he is unique...
Gost may still have a few good years left in him but if they can find the kicker of the future in the draft ( Cole Tracy LSU or McLaughlin from Illinois) I can see it happening as well as maybe signing a FA(fairbairn or Forbath)in the alternative. Or more likely both.
Yep. It could go either way IMO. If the $ doesn't get too crazy ($4m 1 year?) he could be back. If it does hes gone.

BB was right on everything.

Right on JMc, paying Gilly more than Malcolm and having faith in the scouting (see JC Jackson)

Right on Brown over Solder

Right on Sony over DLew.

Friggan masterstroke.

He was right on kraft too?

Then they won the SB

At the time, did you sincerely see Jeremy Hill as a replacement for Dion Lewis? Me neither and eventually he wasn’t. I forgot J. McCourty was traded for 2 days after Butler signed. At the time, did you think he was going to play as well as he did and stay healthy throughout the season? Me neither, but he did. Did you see L’Adrian Waddle or Tony Garcia as an adequate replacement for Solder? Me neither.

It was an innocuous comment on how it felt at the time. I’m not sure where you’re hostility comes from, but 2 out of 3 were not adequately addressed until the draft and the third it can be argued wasn’t fully addressed until JC Jackson emerged. Basically what I was saying was wait not fret if Flowers or J. McCourty sign elsewhere quickly because we don’t know what moves will follow.

There's more than $8M in restructures/extensions/cuts for Gronk, Brady, McCourty, Van Noy, Mason and Clayborn.

and most of the 6 would have to happen, and happen at close to high values. Could be, I think not.

I’d rather just sign Golden Tate. A year younger, won’t have to trade for him, and likely cheaper.
Hehe Golden Tate's gonna be expeeensive

It might be 2018 because Patriot free agents get offers the Patriots will not match. But, it will not be because of available cap space. They will probably have around $20 million of cap space when the new league year begins, but cap hits can be structured in a way to minimize the number in the current year.

The Patriots are actually in great cap shape when you look out at the next couple of years. Right now they are $113 million under in 2020 for instance.
But they barely have half a team signed. Right now, it's like 28, 29 players or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down