PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wildcard Weekend Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Defiant Goose

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
4. Texans vs 5. Raiders:

Give me Houston in this one. Oakland simply won't be able to overcome the loss of Carr and the uncertainty of McGloin's injury status. Houston is bad too, but I think O'Brien manages to make it work with Osweiler at home.

Texans 17-13

3. Steelers vs 6. Dolphins:

Pittsburgh should be able to win this one relatively easily, even if Tannehill does manage to make a miraculous comeback start. The Steelers playing at Heinz field during the playoffs with an offense that, aside from depth, is as equally dangerous as New England, will be too much for Miami to overcome. Miami's defense is shot, and the Dolphins are 1-4 when the opposing team scores over 30 points (not that big of a knock on them, most teams aren't going to be good when giving up 30+) and I feel confident in Pittsburgh passing that mark.

Steelers 38-17

4. Packers vs 5. Giants:

Should be the most entertaining game of the weekend, regardless of the score in my opinion. A red-hot Green Bay team at home against an equally hot and always a pain-in-the-ass Giants playoff team should make for good drama. The Giants come in boasting the league's second-ranked scoring defense against a Green Bay team that has scored at least 30 points in their last 4 games including against teams like Seattle (3rd in PPG) and Minnesota (6th in PPG). In the end I think Green Bay holds their ground at home and the Giants are not able to keep up. Toughest pick of the weekend.

Packers 28-24

3. Seahawks vs 6. Lions:

Earl Thomas's injury has hit Seattle hard, as they went from averaging 16.1 PPG prior to his injury to 24.5 in the four games after. The Lions won't be able to capitalize on that though, as they don't seem to have the mental makeup a team needs to win tough games especially on the road. Detroit couldn't hold serve with the NFC North on the line and a home playoff game at stake, and it comes to bite them in the ass this weekend.

Seahawks 30-23

Texans win and cover. Pittsburgh wins Miami covers. Seattle wins Detroit covers. Giants win and cover obviously

Texans 21, Raiders 6
  • Both have terrible offenses (now that Raiders are down to QB3) but the Raiders defense is bad enough to the Texans put up points.
Steelers 31, Dolphins 20
  • Seems like whenever we expect the Steelers to blow a team out, they come out flat. Even if that happens, it won't be enough for the Dolphins.
Giants 23, Packers 20
  • Eli's playoff luck (or prowess, if you believe in that stuff) resumes here. More important is the Giants defense which is probably good enough to prevent Rodgers from taking the game over. The Packers have survived games only when Rodgers takes the game over this year.
Seahawks 24, Lions 14
  • Detroit would have had a real chance against the injured Seattle secondary but Stafford is injured and not himself. Oh well.

Looks like the only compelling game will be the Giants-Packers. That gives me the rest of the weekend for projects. I'll go with the Giants defense in a close one. The other 3 games are easy to predict winners (Houston, Steelers, Seahawks). By how much is the tough question.

Looks like the only compelling game will be the Giants-Packers. That gives me the rest of the weekend for projects. I'll go with the Giants defense in a close one. The other 3 games are easy to predict winners (Houston, Steelers, Seahawks). By how much is the tough question.

I agree, while admitting that often, in sports, what "should happen" sometimes doesn't.

Oakland-Houston 10-17
  • I think the better defense wins this one. The Raiders need to rely on their running game and fail. The Texans just make one or two plays more. Overall a defensive battle and turnover-fest.
Miami-Pittsburgh 17-28
  • Fairly easy win for the Stillers. Jay Ajayi is banged up and that front seven for Pitt has improved. And i dont trust Matt Moore to shred that bad backfield.
Detroit-Seattle 21-27
  • Detriot needs a big time performence out of Stafford to win this one. They are horrible against winning teams on the road. Closer game than you think but only because Seattle is bad as well.
New York-Green Bay 10-21
  • I dont know why people fear the Giants so much. Their offense is subpar and the defense is overrated. Aaron Rodgers is gonna play well and throw 3 TDs, Eli 2 INTs.

Agree with most.....Seattle,Pittsburg, and Houston

I'll go with a Rogers vs Manning battle and stick with Green Bay....

How lucky can Eli be???

I get this feeling that Detroit will actually make the game interesting before folding under the pressure of the moment against Seattle

LOL...That multiple post hiccup was a pain deleting.....

Agree with most.....Seattle,Pittsburg, and Houston

I'll go with a Rogers vs Manning battle and stick with Green Bay....

How lucky can Eli be???

Beyond that, how lucky can McAdoo be? The "agressive vs. conservative coaching" thread showed that he was the biggest gambler in the NFL this year. I think his luck runs out this weekend.

Interesting note on the giants-packers game, the temperature is going to be in the single digits at Lambeau. This hurts the packers as they don't have much of a run game and rodgers seems to struggle in this kind of weather. Advantage- Eli.

So if NY beats GB, they likely go to Dallas where they have won before. They win that game and they are in the NFCCG. I don't seem getting by Atlanta though.

The Oakland - Houston game with McGloin/Cook vs Osweiler/Savage is like the NFL* forgot to play a pre-season game and rescheduled it for this weekend, only this time the results count.

Interesting note on the giants-packers game, the temperature is going to be in the single digits at Lambeau. This hurts the packers as they don't have much of a run game and rodgers seems to struggle in this kind of weather. Advantage- Eli.

So if NY beats GB, they likely go to Dallas where they have won before. They win that game and they are in the NFCCG. I don't seem getting by Atlanta though.

The Giants don't have much of a run game either (88.2 yards/game while GB averages 106.3). I have my doubts whether they will be ready for this weekend (keep in mind they have to travel to Green Bay):

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-odell-beckham-parties-with-justin-bieberin-south-beach-after-giants-win/

I don't see the Giants winning on Sunday.

Texans over Raiders 21 - 17
Steelers over Dolphins 28 - 13
Giants over Packers 21 - 17
Seahawks over Lions 17 - 10

Oakland vs Houston:
I'm going against the grain on this one. Just watched all of Cook's passes, he shows some flash. Liked him in College and he did some things well against Denver. Read the blitz well and attacked it like a vet. Goes through his progressions. Although in one instance when he got to his 3rd read he got excited, didn't set his feet and made a bad throw to a wide open receiver.

Houston has zero running game and Osweiller sucks. Oakland's defense is not very good, but I expect Mack to have at least two big game changing plays.

Oak: 16
Hou: 12

Miami vs Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, the box of chocolates of the NFL. Which team shows up? I don't know, but it looks cold and possible snow in Pittsburgh Sunday. Miami destroyed them in Miami earlier this season, but that was in the warm confines of Miami. Pittsburgh is 1-2 in playoffs since 2011. Miami well, its been a few days since there last appearance. Ajayi had 204 yards last time they played, Pittsburgh run defense is not that good. Just let Crowell run all over them this weekend and a lot of that was against the first team defense. Can Miami go into a cold Pittsburgh and win? Maybe, but I doubt it. I expect Ajayi and Co. to keep it close.

Pit: 27
Mia: 23

New York vs Green Bay

The Giants head to frigid Green Bay averaging 17.75 PPG on the road, which includes a 16 point outing in Green Bay in week 5. The Giants have scored 20+ points on the road only twice this season (Dallas 20, Cleveland 27). So the question is will the Giants be able to hold the Packers to under 2o points at home? I don't think so.

I see a repeat of week 5.

GB: 24
NYG: 17

Detroit vs Seattle

Detroit...a team that can't seem to figure it out. Even with the Thomas injury and Seattle's own defensive struggles, its hard to envision a Detroit team that has lost its last three games against playoff teams; which also happen to coincide with their last three games of the season, going into Seattle and winning.

Sea: 27
Det: 17

The Giants don't have much of a run game either (88.2 yards/game while GB averages 106.3). I have my doubts whether they will be ready for this weekend (keep in mind they have to travel to Green Bay):

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-odell-beckham-parties-with-justin-bieberin-south-beach-after-giants-win/

I don't see the Giants winning on Sunday.

I heard about the partying. They are an arrogant bunch TBH. They think because they beat the cowboys in two games by a combined total of 4 points that they are just going to run the table like years past. They are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point. The NFC field is much harder than it was in 2007 and 2011. Under Coughlin, no player would be partying prior to a game.

The Oakland - Houston game with McGloin/Cook vs Osweiler/Savage is like the NFL* forgot to play a pre-season game and rescheduled it for this weekend, only this time the results count.
Really sucks for Oakland, part of me really wanted a Brady vs Carr playoff game even if they are one of the best offenses in the NFL with him. We owe Osweiler another ass kicking after last year's mess in Denver in the regular season

Oakland vs Houston:
I'm going against the grain on this one. Just watched all of Cook's passes, he shows some flash. Liked him in College and he did some things well against Denver. Read the blitz well and attacked it like a vet. Goes through his progressions. Although in one instance when he got to his 3rd read he got excited, didn't set his feet and made a bad throw to a wide open receiver.

Houston has zero running game and Osweiller sucks. Oakland's defense is not very good, but I expect Mack to have at least two big game changing plays.

Oak: 16
Hou: 12

Miami vs Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, the box of chocolates of the NFL. Which team shows up? I don't know, but it looks cold and possible snow in Pittsburgh Sunday. Miami destroyed them in Miami earlier this season, but that was in the warm confines of Miami. Pittsburgh is 1-2 in playoffs since 2011. Miami well, its been a few days since there last appearance. Ajayi had 204 yards last time they played, Pittsburgh run defense is not that good. Just let Crowell run all over them this weekend and a lot of that was against the first team defense. Can Miami go into a cold Pittsburgh and win? Maybe, but I doubt it. I expect Ajayi and Co. to keep it close.

Pit: 27
Mia: 23

New York vs Green Bay

The Giants head to frigid Green Bay averaging 17.75 PPG on the road, which includes a 16 point outing in Green Bay in week 5. The Giants have scored 20+ points on the road only twice this season (Dallas 20, Cleveland 27). So the question is will the Giants be able to hold the Packers to under 2o points at home? I don't think so.

I see a repeat of week 5.

GB: 24
NYG: 17

Detroit vs Seattle

Detroit...a team that can't seem to figure it out. Even with the Thomas injury and Seattle's own defensive struggles, its hard to envision a Detroit team that has lost its last three games against playoff teams; which also happen to coincide with their last three games of the season, going into Seattle and winning.

Sea: 27
Det: 17

Miller will be back and has 1000+ yds this year (4.0) avg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back