PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

That’s really interesting. I think it would be interesting to keep both/all the speedsters in when going no huddle and change the formations and routes to stress the target CB while letting the WRs take alternate plays off. Might not work against man though. Or if they can substitute without losing tempo while running the no huddle that would be great. Definitely opens some interesting possibilities.
Ideally, for the no huddle, the speed guy would be close to the Pats' sideline. After a play, the WR would run back supposedly to the LOS but then swap out at the last possible moment. Imho, getting max rest would be ideal for this to work, although I can see taking a play off where the speed guy fakes a catch at the LOS (assuming not covered by same CB).

Also forgot about Nixon (who ran a 10.77 100m in HS) who can theoretically get up there in speed as well. If they ever set up something like this in a no huddle with Agholor, then Nixon, then Thornton on successive downs, the amount of separation against a gassed CB would be gigantic.

Blocking is luxury, but shouldn't be considered a necessity. They are called WR's for a reason.

Special teams should be for bottom of the depth chart guys as I don't see Bill making the same mistake he did with Chad Jackson by throwing Thornton out there defending kicks which resulted in a torn ACL - wrecking Jackson's career.
Bro.... a professional WR had damned well better be able to stalk block.

Ideally, for the no huddle, the speed guy would be close to the Pats' sideline. After a play, the WR would run back supposedly to the LOS but then swap out at the last possible moment. Imho, getting max rest would be ideal for this to work, although I can see taking a play off where the speed guy fakes a catch at the LOS (assuming not covered by same CB).

Also forgot about Nixon (who ran a 10.77 100m in HS) who can theoretically get up there in speed as well. If they ever set up something like this in a no huddle with Agholor, then Nixon, then Thornton on successive downs, the amount of separation against a gassed CB would be gigantic.
If you change personnel you have to give the defense an opportunity to change as well, so it would negate the advantage of hurryup preventing substitutions.

If you change personnel you have to give the defense an opportunity to change as well, so it would negate the advantage of hurryup preventing substitutions.
Thanks - that's one part that I wasn't too sure about.

Edit: Definitely no hurry up officially as you've stated. I guess ultimately, the goal is to substitute but minimize the time between snaps. If a single WR is being replaced, I'm curious to see what type of response that would get from the opposition (if any), since more than likely, they wouldn't take away their fastest CB (who I assume would be assigned to cover the speedsters).

Rule 5-2-10
DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS Article 10If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply: (a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.

Last edited:
Given Nixon's underwhelming size he needs to be extraordinary elsewhere (route running, hands, toughness)... I don't see it. I'll take Wilkerson over Nixon if I'm just choosing between the two. Lil'Jordan Humphrey is intriguing because of his size and he's got a little bit of NFL experience. With the additions of Parker and Thornton, there's probably going to be just one spot left on the WR depth chart.

Thanks - that's one part that I wasn't too sure about.

Edit: Definitely no hurry up officially as you've stated. I guess ultimately, the goal is to substitute but minimize the time between snaps. If a single WR is being replaced, I'm curious to see what type of response that would get from the opposition (if any), since more than likely, they wouldn't take away their fastest CB (who I assume would be assigned to cover the speedsters).

Rule 5-2-10
DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS Article 10If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply: (a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.
yes, it adds some wrinkles, all of which stress the defense. If they’re in zone there‘s no need to substitute, just use formation to rotate matchups. If they’re in man the opponents need to decide whether to substitute, if they do sub they need to execute that swap, putting a lesser CB on the field, and then coordinate the new guy with the guys on the field. If they don’t swap the fastest CB gets worn out. Seems like it’s worth trying sometimes. One more tool to make the weapons better.

yes, it adds some wrinkles, all of which stress the defense. If they’re in zone there‘s no need to substitute, just use formation to rotate matchups. If they’re in man the opponents need to decide whether to substitute, if they do sub they need to execute that swap, putting a lesser CB on the field, and then coordinate the new guy with the guys on the field. If they don’t swap the fastest CB gets worn out. Seems like it’s worth trying sometimes. One more tool to make the weapons better.
Somewhat related - I really hope Strong figures it out, stays healthy, and takes over the SweetFeet role. If he comes in fresh for a 3rd down, and with his speed, if he gets in space against a tired defense, he could do some serious damage.

Somewhat related - I really hope Strong figures it out, stays healthy, and takes over the SweetFeet role. If he comes in fresh for a 3rd down, and with his speed, if he gets in space against a tired defense, he could do some serious damage.
I’d like to see what Rham can do in that role. He’s both elusive and powerful, and I think has enough speed. If he can start catching passes and get the ball in space with a good head of steam things could get interesting…

I’d like to see what Rham can do in that role. He’s both elusive and powerful, and I think has enough speed. If he can start catching passes and get the ball in space with a good head of steam things could get interesting…
Rham saves a roster spot

Rham saves a roster spot
Do you think that we will go with 3 RB's plus STer/emergency RB Montgomery? I think that we need a backup RB.

I've been saying same since last year. I'd love to see what he could do with some of those option routes in the shallow MOF. He's got some nice shake to him, maybe the best out of our RB corp. Definitely all in on this.

Do you think that we will go with 3 RB's plus STer/emergency RB Montgomery? I think that we need a backup RB.
I just meant if Rham can actually do what white does in the sweetfeet role, that saves a roster spot. Of course, they're incredibly different backs. But Rham came in svelte, so... I'm just saying with so much potential, it's a cool thought that we could consolidate some roles.

Are we sure Montgomery is somehow automatic, based on versatility? meh in three roles is still meh... and when you've got "wow" vying for the same spots... (shrug)

Two Harrises, Dre (or Rham if we insist), Strong... its the receiver depth chart all over again. Let's get another look at Zappe and "injure" Hoyer if all goes well.

How many linemen do we still have?

Been waiting for the Captain's scouting report on Montgomery
Insert player name here” sucks.

There ^ I just set you up for a lifetime’s worth of Captain Stoned player evaluations…

Keeping in mind this only holds true for Patriot players. Every other team in the NFL has talent, potential and hope… the Pats are doomed.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back