PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

Who can block seems to be missing in all these discussions? Who can block and play special teams seems important after your first two goto guys.
Blocking is luxury, but shouldn't be considered a necessity. They are called WR's for a reason.

Special teams should be for bottom of the depth chart guys as I don't see Bill making the same mistake he did with Chad Jackson by throwing Thornton out there defending kicks which resulted in a torn ACL - wrecking Jackson's career.

Shows a partial picture at best, a misleading one at worst.

how often were they each targeted? Were the times they weren’t targeted because some other player was primary read, or because as primary read they weren’t open?

they know who Bourne is and what he can do. Other than Meyers the WRs above him on that list are either new (Parker) or underperformed last year (Agholor). I wouldn’t read a lot into that beyond the fact that there’s only one football and limited reps so Bourne may not be a priority.
Why does everyone keep saying Agholor underperformed last year? He was open deep a lot, Mac just threw to the closer open guy 90% of the time.

Why does everyone keep saying Agholor underperformed last year? He was open deep a lot, Mac just threw to the closer open guy 90% of the time.

This is been mentioned more than a few times and people still don't get it.

There were two reasons MAC didn't go deep a lot last year.
- The Offense was designed for him NOT to go deep.
- The O-line was a inconsistent last year forcing MAC to look underneath more often.

This is been mentioned more than a few times and people still don't get it.

There were two reasons MAC didn't go deep a lot last year.
- The Offense was designed for him NOT to go deep.
- The O-line was a inconsistent last year forcing MAC to look underneath more often.

Reason number 3, bb put the kid gloves on Mac.

Posted this in the post game thread, but also think it should be here. This wr position is very intriguing. A lot of depth and more speed than we're used to seeing.

Posted this in the post game thread, but also think it should be here. This wr position is very intriguing. A lot of depth and more speed than we're used to seeing.

Last time I thought we were stacked at WR was the Miami game when we had Antonio Brown. That didn't age particularly well though.

Last time I thought we were stacked at WR was the Miami game when we had Antonio Brown. That didn't age particularly well though.
Thank goodness none of the current WR corps are that kind of head case.

At the end the season I want the performance of our 2022 WR roster to make TB12 wish he were still here!

“blocking”

Who cares. BB once said he wants a WR who can get open and catch the ball. Other positions block. “Blocking” for WRs only became a thing here when loyal supporters tried to defend BBs pick of Harriet by claiming he was a good blocker LOL

Definitely a good WR corps. Lacking a true number 1, but Parker when healthy can flash number 1 potential. And Thornton may develop into one

“blocking”

Who cares. BB once said he wants a WR who can get open and catch the ball. Other positions block. “Blocking” for WRs only became a thing here when loyal supporters tried to defend BBs pick of Harriet by claiming he was a good blocker LOL
Number 11 shows some blocking here. Not bad for a skinny kid who has also shown he can get open and catch the ball. Not the archetypal body type for a fullback, but I’m liking what I’m seeing even when he lines up as a blocking back.

“blocking”

Same when Bill defended his mediocre front seven during the season in 2018 when the media sent a search party out for them. Bill said he values “pressures” over sacks and made that en vogue. Even PFF started making this a popular stat. Bill is sure a trend setter.

“blocking”

I mean it sounds like Belichick cares... (From Pats Conference call 10/28/19)

“You can’t be a good receiver if you can’t [get open and catch the ball], but that’s 1-2, and then 2A is blocking and contributing in other ways besides getting open and catching the ball. Not every play for the receiver is a ball that goes to him — so being able to have good route distribution so that you have good spacing so that somebody can get the ball whether it’s you or somebody else. I think all good receivers know that when the running game is going, and part of that is the receiver’s blocking in the running game, that opens up opportunities in the passing game, so the more the defensive backs have to come up and fight through blocks and support the running game, then when you run play-action passes, that’s when you’re able to really separate the defense and create some big play opportunities.”

There are also examples from long ago (and even singled out my guy the original TB as a very good blocking WR).

Slightly OT and pretty out there but related to our depth. After spending decades reading journal articles on stuff like time / power response to repeated 5s sprints with 30s rest (so many of these...), with 2 WR who can conceivably go over 22mph in full gear without carrying the ball (Thornton/Agholor), I would love for them to just try to alternate downs against the same CB running Posts or Gos. The below is a pretty typical example of what happens:

1660322692388.png

What would be really cool is if they did a no huddle to shorten the rest time but just switch out Thornton/Agholor, then that would absolutely destroy the CB assuming the same one stays in to cover. (Note 15/30/60 refers to recovery intervals)

1660323310802.png

The safety's the issue, but that can be avoided by a decent fake the other way / middle. If the CB gives up a lot of cushion at the LOS, there are ways around that.

Side side note - I would love to see a wr/rb run something like 4 x 40yd with 45s rest (about the time between plays) to truly gauge their effectiveness over the course of a game. If someone has poor recovery, then a single 4.3 is not that impressive. Reminds me of a random line in the show King of Queens: "I'm just built to fire once... Like a musket."

Slightly OT and pretty out there but related to our depth. After spending decades reading journal articles on stuff like time / power response to repeated 5s sprints with 30s rest (so many of these...), with 2 WR who can conceivably go over 22mph in full gear without carrying the ball (Thornton/Agholor), I would love for them to just try to alternate downs against the same CB running Posts or Gos. The below is a pretty typical example of what happens:

View attachment 44521

What would be really cool is if they did a no huddle to shorten the rest time but just switch out Thornton/Agholor, then that would absolutely destroy the CB assuming the same one stays in to cover. (Note 15/30/60 refers to recovery intervals)

View attachment 44522

The safety's the issue, but that can be avoided by a decent fake the other way / middle. If the CB gives up a lot of cushion at the LOS, there are ways around that.

Side side note - I would love to see a wr/rb run something like 4 x 40yd with 45s rest (about the time between plays) to truly gauge their effectiveness over the course of a game. If someone has poor recovery, then a single 4.3 is not that impressive. Reminds me of a random line in the show King of Queens: "I'm just built to fire once... Like a musket."
That’s really interesting. I think it would be interesting to keep both/all the speedsters in when going no huddle and change the formations and routes to stress the target CB while letting the WRs take alternate plays off. Might not work against man though. Or if they can substitute without losing tempo while running the no huddle that would be great. Definitely opens some interesting possibilities.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back