PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wickersham Strikes: Belichick talked to Giants/Dolphins/Washington about coaching there in Brady standoff

BS if anyone thinks Kraft would ever let Belichick go.

The cost would be 5 #1s.

i call BS as well. First, Kraft would never let him walk and second, if he discussed coaching for one of those teams they would have been all over it and we would have heard about it.

BS if anyone thinks Kraft would ever let Belichick go.

The cost would be 5 #1s.
I doubt that would be the price tag. But I believe that BB may have talked to at least one of those teams - the Giants. Maybe Miami. I don’t believe for a second that he was interested in Washington and working for Snyder. This story will probably get dismissed but Wickersham’s reporting of the “rift” between BB and Brady has aged pretty well.

I could see Belichick willing to go to the Giants or Dolphins, but the Washington team coaching for Daniel Snyder?!? No way would Belichick want to work for a Snyder or a Jerry Jones or any other owner who wants to be involved in the football aspect of the team.

The Giants certainly seem plausible. If there is anything that could trigger BB to that extent it would be ownership interfering with personel decisions.

I could see Belichick willing to go to the Giants or Dolphins, but the Washington team coaching for Daniel Snyder?!? No way would Belichick want to work for a Snyder or a Jerry Jones or any other owner who wants to be involved in the football aspect of the team.
Talking to Snyder only to drive up the price for the other two would make sense.

This isn't really breaking news. I remember there being similar speculation at the time that Bill was frustrated and was supposedly upset enough to explore other options and I believe I remember the Washington and Giants thing (not the Miami one). But again, it never turned into anything and well...here we are.

(UPDATE: Here was the thread on that: Tanguay: Belichick inquired about Washington job after JG trade)

At the same time, as much as we hate to admit it, Wickersham ended up being right about much of what he reported. We can talk about the things he may or may not have gotten right, but there were obviously more truths than mistruths, which I think surprised all of us.

Last edited:
Talking to Snyder only to drive up the price for the other two would make sense.

I think everyone knows that Belichick would never work for Snyder. So I don't know if it would do anything to motivate other teams.

Let's assume this is true for a milisecond. Kraft still made his choice. Where is Brady and how much does BB make?

Bill always had a soft spot for the Giants and I think if he left the Patriots a few years ago that's exactly where he would be headed.

I don't believe he was ever seriously talking to anyone though nor was he close to any kind of agreement. That would have been leaked really quickly.

Imagine if the report was: While still with the Patriots, Tom Brady talked to other teams about playing for them

The Giants certainly seem plausible. If there is anything that could trigger BB to that extent it would be ownership interfering with personel decisions.
Whoa. Where the hell did you come from, old chum? You are missed, my friend. Hope all is well.

I doubt that would be the price tag. But I believe that BB may have talked to at least one of those teams - the Giants. Maybe Miami. I don’t believe for a second that he was interested in Washington and working for Snyder. This story will probably get dismissed but Wickersham’s reporting of the “rift” between BB and Brady has aged pretty well.
If you listen to the interview he says he heard he spoke to those teams when they had openings but didn’t know if it was about him wanting the job. Bb is notorious for recommending coaches when there are openings and 2 of those teams hired his guys.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back