PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wickersham book discussion

I really struggle to understand why you even bother posting here or follow the team.

Every post of yours is negative.

You complain about every player on the team.

You complain about the drafts and the fact every player you like is on another team.

You clearly have zero tolerance for the current rebuild.

I really don't care you haven't missed a game since 1995.

Quite frankly I think that is worse than having missed a few here and there.

You gravitate and focus all of your negative venom towards one person and one person only.

You seem to be in this vicious cycle of frustration and hate and it's all directed at BB who happens to have assembled the greatest dynasty in professional sports history.

I'll all for criticizing BB but my word you are on a whole different level. You are worse than Biffins.

With all due respect, I think you need to take a break. Follow Tampa or something. I'm dead serious.
There should be a term for continuously posting like that. Gnoming, maybe. Or goblining. Neither of those really work, but maybe someone more creative will come up with something.

High, behind, wrong shoulder. Wes had to jump and twist to just get hands on it...

But he did get hands on it...

So, bad pass, bad drop.

Dunno what else I can say on the matter beyond that.
It was not to the wrong shoulder. If Brady throws that right, there are two defenders there. It hit both of his hands at facemask level. It was not even a hard catch. I am not sure Brady could have placed it in his hands walking up to him.

I've looked at it a zillion times and broken it down on here using gifs, and I realize people will have different opinions, but this is what I strongly believe. The play is a fairly routine pass by Brady who puts the ball in the right area; if you want to get down to milimeters, that's a different story. It's a pass that gets caught about 99% of the time.

The play is essentially an optical illusion from the broadcast angle; it appears as though Welker has a very difficult catch because the ball is off target, causing him to whip lash back towards it. In reality, if you slow it down and look at the still images, he has a certain catch and is turning to gain more yards upfield. The problem is he mis-times the pass, closes too quickly. and doesn't assure the catch before turning.

View attachment 36554

View attachment 36557

The problem is that he closes his hands to quickly, right on the nose of the ball.

View attachment 36556

As for the optical illusion, I referred to...take a look at Welker's body as the ball comes out. Within a fraction of a second, he realizes it's dropped (because it's punched off his closed hands). He immediately reaches his arms towards the ball in hopes of recovering it, and his leg whips around to try to change direction towards the loose ball. That's why it appears, especially from the broadcast angle, that Welker had to whip his body towards the ball in an attempt to make a tough catch. In reality, the unnatural body movement is a second attempt to reposition and catch.

View attachment 36553
Exactly, Brady had to throw away from the defense, no matter how tough it was to turn his body (something receivers do every day and twice on Sunday_ It was facemask high in both hands. Its a bad drop on a pass right to him. If he catches that, no person on earth, says wow what a horrid pass.

It was not to the wrong shoulder. If Brady throws that right, there are two defenders there. It hit both of his hands at facemask level. It was not even a hard catch. I am not sure Brady could have placed it in his hands walking up to him.
i understand there were two defenders on the inside... the way wes had to move to get into position to catch the ball, it was the wrong shoulder.

there was plenty of space, and when the ball did get there, the defenders were in no position to make a play on the ball.

Im sorry, but ot was a ****ty throw from Brady. There are no two ways around it. He was standing in a clean pocket, the protection held up, and he had plenty of time.

BAD PASS

So frustrating - I’m in Australia can’t get a digital copy anywhere! Was so excited to read this book

The play to lose sleep over regarding Super Bowls will forever be Eli escaping an automatic sack. Would have been 4th down and a mile and forced the Giants to burn their last timeout.

More observations from the book from the early dynasty days:
- Bill started to groom Brady almost like an interim offensive coordinator (!) when Weis was having surgery in 2002. Never knew. Almost like Bill was preparing to move on from Weis and wanted to make his QB and offense transition-proof.
- Brady absorbed and learned a lot more from Peyton Manning than we know
- BB felt he was embarrassed by Manning in that 2004 season opener when Manning shredded the cover 2. For the AFCCG changed it to a disguised cover 2 out of a cover 4. Worked so well that he went to a 1-10 defense to milk the clock with the Pats up big. That worked too. LOL
- BB felt the Super Bowl is the one game that can sap a team’s defense like no other. He felt his defense ran out of gas in SB38 and he felt he was partly to blame for that since he only dressed 5 DL instead of 6 so he couldn’t rotate fresh legs in and out. That changed in SB39. He also told his team to hydrate well and not do much before the game. Also noticed the Eagles were doing a training camp drill that would take a lot out of them.
- Now I’m not so sure the Eagles not going into hurry-up late in SB39 was Andy Reid’s fault. It was McNabb. Interesting.

“Something was wrong with McNabb. He was panting and struggling to call plays. Either had the wind knocked out of him from a Bruschi hit…or he was running out of gas which is the exact thing Belichick had warned his own team about. Some Eagles insisted that McNabb threw up on the field which he denied. Whatever was happening to him he was sluggish and fading the biggest moment on the biggest stage. TO…later took a shot at him saying “I’m not the one who got tired in the Super Bowl”

- BB wanted to keep Vinateri here but also chose to gamble that AV would accept a hometown discount thinking AV wouldn’t want to leave NE where he was a legend and loved by the fans. He chose wrong.
Sounds like you would've been better off buying lotto tickets than spending money on this nothingburger book.

Are you blaming the loss on Asante?
No. It's a team loss. A team loss of biblical proportions.
Maybe that woman reporter from Washington who was great on deflategate, was it Sally something?
season 1 friends GIF

Asante's catch would have been harder. It was pretty high up there. Welker drop was at facemask level. I think both catches would have won the superbowl for pats.
From my seat, both player's hands are above eye level, above the helmet. Both catches should have been made, and I agree that both catches result in victory.

This book confirmed all our thoughts about Patricia

Sounds like you would've been better off buying lotto tickets than spending money on this nothingburger book.

Even some of the more “bombshell“ stuff was reported at the time.

So frustrating - I’m in Australia can’t get a digital copy anywhere! Was so excited to read this book
It's on Amazon.

I'm envious. Love Australia. Spent a lot of time there.

Brady congratulating everyone on offense other than JG when Garoppolo scored that TD against KC in that blowout loss. I find that hard to believe. Starting to see why people thought this might not be a favorable book to Brady but it’s definitely not pro BB either.
The book is written by a hack who made up half of it and exaggerated the other half to the point it’s a lie too.

The play to lose sleep over regarding Super Bowls will forever be Eli escaping an automatic sack. Would have been 4th down and a mile and forced the Giants to burn their last timeout.

It hurts. A perfect season, I would have loved for the Pats to crush all the snarky Dolphins players and fans by completing a true perfect season. The fact they didn't get it done knocks that whole team down below all 6 of the championship teams for me.

i understand there were two defenders on the inside... the way wes had to move to get into position to catch the ball, it was the wrong shoulder.

there was plenty of space, and when the ball did get there, the defenders were in no position to make a play on the ball.

Im sorry, but ot was a ****ty throw from Brady. There are no two ways around it. He was standing in a clean pocket, the protection held up, and he had plenty of time.

BAD PASS
Patriot fans when Brady was still a Patriot: "Welker muffed it" Patriot fans when Brady's not on the Patriots: " BAD PASS "

5KWSPzN.jpg

read the other posts dipshit
I missed that but it wasn't entirely directed at you but to the several other people that have blamed the incompletion solely on Brady. It wasnt a perfect pass but it was an adequate one and a catchable pass....lighten up a little

Dobson is tough for me because I was screaming for collegiate superstar Keenan Allen in the second round (dropped for some bogus injury concern) ..but we went Dobson :/

I will say Dobson definitely showed some promise rookie year that 81 yard bomb against Pitt. However pats trainers screwed up with his ankle and he missed a lot of time with injury and never recovered to keep improving. he lost confidence and washed out fast

Malcolm Mitchell was 6’1 but played like 6’4. Super long wing span. He would have been our best WR we drafted but man he bit the dust fast with his bum knee. We hardly knew him
I remember Kenan Allen's knock was lack of speed like Harry. However, Robert Woods was my first choice after the obvious Hopkins who was within NE's reach. They then traded out. Kennan Allen was my next choice.
I'm not calling bs (I definitely am) but I'd love to see anything backing this up? NYG you've been here complaining about picks forever. Any draft history yourself?

I'm not calling bs (I definitely am) but I'd love to see anything backing this up? NYG you've been here complaining about picks forever. Any draft history yourself?

I’ve been wrong about a lot of picks, I’m no football expert..but Keenan Allen over Dobson was a no brainer by every member of this forum. Other than that fancy back handed catch by Dobson, allens film was way more impressive and Allen put up monsterous numbers in college. Every expert had Allen rates higher, as did every patsfan poster

Yes I have been complaining about picks because we haven’t drafted a guy whose made the pro bowl on offense or defense since 2013. That’s an 8 year drought devoid of cheap young talent. This rebuild could have gone so much smoother

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back