PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wickersham book discussion

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Thought I’d make one topic for this where it all can go in here.

Belichick nearly had a fist fight with Eric the Rat? :D

“At the 2008 league meetings, Belichick and then-New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini nearly had a fistfight,” ESPN wrote. “After a dinner for head coaches, Julie Mangini, wife of Eric, bumped into Belichick and said hi, trying to ease tension after the post-Spygate fallout. Belichick blew her off, and when she told Eric what had happened, he charged across the room and needed to be held back by other coaches from swinging at Belichick. ‘Hey Bill, (expletive) you!’ Mangini yelled.”

I'm with Bill here. F Mangini.

To me the most damaging stuff is the story of Kraft b-tching in Colorado about BB being an ahole. That might make things awkward....
"As for Kraft, in late September, he was in Aspen (Colorado) for a conference and bumped into a few friends in the hotel lobby early one morning. He told them he was leaving later for Detroit, where the Patriots were playing their next game. 'I hate leaving here,' Kraft said. 'You leave here and you leave some of the most brilliant people you've ever met. You pick up so much knowledge from all these brilliant minds. And I have to go to Detroit to be with the biggest f-----ng a--hole in my life -- my head coach.' "

Yes Bill is an a-hole but - yikes!

There was nearly a mutiny against BB? With Bill O possibly part of it? Wow.

Last edited:
I have the book on pre-order...can't wait to get it

• After Spygate and during U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter's inquiry into whether the Patriots had videotaped the St. Louis Rams' walk-through practice before Super Bowl XXXVI, former Rams coach Mike Martz said he believed that New England had also videotaped the Rams practices during the week. "I'd like to hang Belichick by the nuts," he told a confidant.
  • During Spygate, then-Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan backed Belichick and told Goodell that he wished he had videotaped signals and was disappointed for not thinking of the cheating methods himself. Goodell had called coaches and executives trying to learn more about New England's videotaping practices. Nearly all of them wanted Belichick severely punished -- except Shanahan. "You can't say that Bill Belichick is a bad guy," Shanahan told Goodell. "Bill is just better at it than most are."

That confirms it to me. It was Bill's fault but now we know why the actual punishment was over the top. Jealousy and wanting to bring the Patriots down.

• In the lead-up to Super Bowl LII against the Philadelphia Eagles, Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia traded heated words at practice over the former Super Bowl hero's lack of effort. Butler was demoted. At the team party after New England's loss, Butler responded to teammates asking why he was benched by saying, "These dudes," referring to the coaches, according to the book, "these mother f---ers."

Sorry... if this is why this happened this is still not an acceptable reason. :maybenot:

I would be interested in this book if it was just the inside information of what is going on with the Patriots' dynasty, but I really don't care about the TMZ stuff. Who cares if Kraft called Belichick an a-hole? Who cares if Mangini and Belichick almost got into a brawl?

• In the lead-up to Super Bowl LII against the Philadelphia Eagles, Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia traded heated words at practice over the former Super Bowl hero's lack of effort. Butler was demoted. At the team party after New England's loss, Butler responded to teammates asking why he was benched by saying, "These dudes," referring to the coaches, according to the book, "these mother f---ers."

Sorry... if this is why this happened this is still not an acceptable reason. :maybenot:

So it was patricia who is the reason for 1 less ring ?

• Toward the end of the dynastic run, Belichick commissioned an internal study to examine the traits of transcendent athletes. Jordan, Bryant, Woods and Brady were interviewed, among others. The study revealed that while the motivations of the rest of the elite athletes centered around the themes of rage and manufactured conflict, Brady was different. He felt most at the peak of his powers "not when he was measuring the size of the chip on his shoulder, but when he was in a loving and supportive environment," Wickersham writes.
Very interesting if true.

Last edited:
  • Toward the end of the dynastic run, Belichick commissioned an internal study to examine the traits of transcendent athletes. Jordan, Bryant, Woods and Brady were interviewed, among others. The study revealed that while the motivations of the rest of the elite athletes centered around the themes of rage and manufactured conflict, Brady was different. He felt most at the peak of his powers "not when he was measuring the size of the chip on his shoulder, but when he was in a loving and supportive environment," Wickersham writes

So Brady wanted to be coddled?

HAHAHAHAHA the explanation for Butler’s benching. What ****ing idiocy by that fat slob, Patricia.

"As for Kraft, in late September, he was in Aspen (Colorado) for a conference and bumped into a few friends in the hotel lobby early one morning. He told them he was leaving later for Detroit, where the Patriots were playing their next game. 'I hate leaving here,' Kraft said. 'You leave here and you leave some of the most brilliant people you've ever met. You pick up so much knowledge from all these brilliant minds. And I have to go to Detroit to be with the biggest f-----ng a--hole in my life -- my head coach.' "

Yes Bill is an a-hole but - yikes!
I still remember the 2009 Patriots/BB thing that NFL Films did and I came away with the impression Bill treats Kraft like a child. Some of their interactions Bill seemed to talk to Kraft as if he were his 6 year old son and do everything but pat him on the top of the head and send him on his way.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back