PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why would you draft Marte Mapu over Josh Downs

Putting the different position bit to one side...I can absolutely guarantee you half the board would have been screaming "why draft a smurf receiver in the 3rd when we could have drafted <insert name>"

Last edited:
Zero sense

Bill's past DECADE of drafting has been littered full of failures!

Not only is Mapu rotting on our bench. Guys like Tyquan Thornton look like a complete waste of space and Cole Strange looks overdrafted for a guard. Can he even stick as an NFL caliber starting guard? Where else can you play him?

The typical Patriots draft has turned into a JOKE. When the rest of the NFL Zigs the Patriots Zag but it's backfiring because they are picking all the wrong players by going against the grain.

Because Bill the GM thinks the way to win in 2023 is with special teams and defense and scoring 17 ppg. Yes, Keion White has been a complete bust thus far. Keion White - 9 games played....only three starts, 8 tackles, and one tackle for loss. There are at least TEN defensive lineman - ****ing TEN, picked after Keion "Bill Picked Me Because I Look Mean" White who have more production. Considering this bum is averaging less than one tackle per game - but I bet he sets the **** out of the edge, right bill? But White plays about 1/3 of special teams snaps...so Bill is probably thrilled.
Tom Brady covered up so many wasted draft picks and busts that Bill the Duplicitous Pond Scum Belichick (thanks Kevin Mannix) that the HC of the NEP should rename his boat "Thanks Tom"

Because Bill the GM thinks the way to win in 2023 is with special teams and defense and scoring 17 ppg. Yes, Keion White has been a complete bust thus far. Keion White - 9 games played....only three starts, 8 tackles, and one tackle for loss. There are at least TEN defensive lineman - ****ing TEN, picked after Keion "Bill Picked Me Because I Look Mean" White who have more production. Considering this bum is averaging less than one tackle per game - but I bet he sets the **** out of the edge, right bill? But White plays about 1/3 of special teams snaps...so Bill is probably thrilled.
Tom Brady covered up so many wasted draft picks and busts that Bill the Duplicitous Pond Scum Belichick (thanks Kevin Mannix) that the HC of the NEP should rename his boat "Thanks Tom"
Well, tell us how you really feel.

I’m on record that I believe it’s time for BB to move on. I haven’t loved the drafts for a long time.

But…I think White will be fine, Mapu is a LB who is being asked to play safety.

Little early on both to wrote them off.

Strange and Thornton…agreed.

I appreciate the 6 superbowls we won, and decades of not having to really worry about being a joke of a team.

Some admittedly awful years don’t erase that.

His legacy is secure.

But everything ends…usually poorly.

Don’t see value in going nuclear on him when simple “thanks for the memories, wish you the best” would suffice.

Don’t see value in going nuclear on him when simple “thanks for the memories, wish you the best” would suffice.
In the past 4 years Bill has squandered 800 million in cap
In the past decade Bill has squandered draft capital like no other NFL decision maker

Season 1 Thank You GIF by Paramount+

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

I probably have this the wrong way round but shouldn't a team use a player as he played in college first. If he cannot cope with the NFL at that position then try to change him.

I would have preferred for the Pats to hold off on Mapu in that spot but not for Josh Downs. Since the premise here is based on hindsight, I’d rather if they had taken Darnell Washington, Wanya Morris, Dawand Jones, or Blake Freeland than either Mapu or Downs.

If they hadn‘t wasted money on Rieff in FA, or had gotten more from Pittsburgh in the 1st round trade, or hadn’t traded up for a kicker in the early 4th round, they may have been able to fill their giant gaping hole at OT and traded up for Mapu. They’d be in a lot better position and would not have had to waste draft capital on Lowe and/or Wheatley.

For the same reason 198 players went ahead of Brady and an entire draft went ahead of Brock Purdy and so on and so forth.

Let’s remember the bashing BB took for drafting the likes of Seymour and Light. Ty Warren was another head scratcher.

Why draft the idiot, test failing Ohio St « never produces a QB » CJ Stroud ?

Fans on this site are amazing at reliving the draft AFTER things become clearer. Maybe Downs hurts himself in the last half of the year and Mapu takes a leap. Maybe they stay at the same level for the next decade. I remember T Flowers being a bust for two years and really helping NE thereafter.

One of Bill’s worst draft picks. The nail in his coffin at GM at least.

Keion White is also there as well. He’s been awful.

Hot take. Surprising coming from you. :maybenot:

For the same reason 198 players went ahead of Brady and an entire draft went ahead of Brock Purdy and so on and so forth.

Let’s remember the bashing BB took for drafting the likes of Seymour and Light. Ty Warren was another head scratcher.

Why draft the idiot, test failing Ohio St « never produces a QB » CJ Stroud ?

Fans on this site are amazing at reliving the draft AFTER things become clearer. Maybe Downs hurts himself in the last half of the year and Mapu takes a leap. Maybe they stay at the same level for the next decade. I remember T Flowers being a bust for two years and really helping NE thereafter.
Hindsight is 20-20, most on the board loved the White pick when it happened and even after a few games.

Demario Douglas.
This is the correct answer.

At this point can anyone making a convicing case that Downs is better than Douglas?

Why spend a 3rd round pick when you can use a 6th rounder to get an equivalent player?

Hot take. Surprising coming from you. :maybenot:
Do you guys even watch the games?

It seems to really show with same usual suspects giving me resistance no matter how many times we’ve seen Bill’s draft picks flame out.

I’ve already shown the clips of him getting beat the rare times he’s even the field at S and LB.

In the past 4 years Bill has squandered 800 million in cap
In the past decade Bill has squandered draft capital like no other NFL decision maker

you may want to take a 10 year look at the Cardinals, Browns, Texans, Colts, Jets, Panthers, Falcons, and a few others.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back