PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Marte Mapu - Round 3 - #76th Overall

I can’t understand how people will think he’s too light to be a LB.

Do people not realize Fred Warner is only 230 at 6’3? Mapu can easily get bulked up to 225 at least. Jerome Baker and JOK in Cleveland are also playing in the 220’s at LB.
Yes, Belichick can change the way the Defense is played for the patriots. It is 100% irrelevant what other teams do. I don't recall a patriot lLB at 217 or under in this century.

I'm an old man, and my memory sometimes fails. Please enlighten me with examples. Or perhaps after attempting to change to the offsne last year, you think that it time to change the Defense. If so, I would suggest a coach other than Mayo.

And bulking up a player to play at a weight that he isn't used to isn't a strategy for a 3rd rounder in his rookie year. I suppose, we could have him add weight and hope for 2024 contributions. Perhaps, he can start if Uche or Judon leave. THAT is what we expect of a 3rd rounder: potential to start.

Will Jack Jones start at CB this year? Mappu needs to be a backup this year and have the potential to have a major role next year.
=========================
I do want to be clear. I am fine with the pick. I think that he could take a Dugger role THIS YEAR if Dugger were injured.

Will Jack Jones start at CB this year? Mappu needs to be a backup this year and have the potential to have a major role next year.
I say Jack Jones starts for sure in the 1st game, but if Gonzalez comes on, Jack Jones still starts, because we'll start the game with Jon Jones, Jack Jones and Gonzalez on the field.

This is where I feel a huge opportuity was missed.
Not drafting a TE at 76 is not a way to endear the fans or the offense. Mac Jones is probably pissed.

There were two compelling guys available in Darnell Washington or Tucker Kraft.

I now understand there are character concerns about Washington, who was essentially homeless growing up with his brother in Las. Vegas.

So Tucker Kraft, who can in-line block in addition to receiving, which helps our underwhelming tackle play, would have been the safer route.

Pittsburgh got Darnell Washington. He’ll be a fearsome blocker and a growing receiving threat.

Mapu is an interesting player with hard hitting ways and excellent coverage skills.

But we’ve got Matt Sokol as our third TE. He’s probably the least talented guy on the 53 man roster in the whole freakin’ league. This was also a historically talented TE class.

In a normal year Tucker Kraft or Darnell Washington go in the second round.

Not drafting a TE at 76 is not a way to endear the fans or the offense. Mac Jones is probably pissed.

I now understand there are character concerns about Washington, who was essentially homeless growing up with his brother in Las. Vegas.

So Tucker Kraft, who can in-line block in addition to receiving, which helps our underwhelming tackle play, would have been the safer route.

Pittsburgh got Darnell Washington. He’ll be a fearsome blocker and a growing receiving threat.

Mapu is an interesting player with hard hitting ways and excellent coverage skills.

But we’ve got Matt Sokol as our third TE. He’s probably the least talented guy on the 53 man roster in the whole freakin’ league. This was also a historically talented TE class.

Darnell has knee injury concerns. “They talked about some knee swelling. For me, I had no injury with my knees ever, knock on wood. I never tore anything in the knees. I had knee surgery on the right knee, but that was just cartilage that flaked up, they went in and cleaned it.” Nice guy. He says "I had no injury with my knees ever. But I had knee surgery ...........". I have no interest in a guy that big who has knees that swell. Maybe in the 5th or 6th round.

Tucker Kraft has high measureables but not a lot of college production. Those type of guys bust. We will see. I agree another TE in place of Sokol would be nice. Not sure Washington or Kraft are the answer.

TE is a very hard, if not that hardest, transition in the NFL. We will see how Mapu transitions.

Premature at best the Pats in '24 have over $100 million in cap room, so they can retain some of these guys if they continue to progress.

I like this pick, versatile players are and have been the hallmark of these teams for a while now..
It will be interesting to see what BB does with that cap room, but I'd be shocked if he gives Duggar or Onwenu top of the market deals. I think Mapu and Sow are their replacements.

Yes, Belichick can change the way the Defense is played for the patriots. It is 100% irrelevant what other teams do. I don't recall a patriot lLB at 217 or under in this century.

I'm an old man, and my memory sometimes fails. Please enlighten me with examples. Or perhaps after attempting to change to the offsne last year, you think that it time to change the Defense. If so, I would suggest a coach other than Mayo.

And bulking up a player to play at a weight that he isn't used to isn't a strategy for a 3rd rounder in his rookie year. I suppose, we could have him add weight and hope for 2024 contributions. Perhaps, he can start if Uche or Judon leave. THAT is what we expect of a 3rd rounder: potential to start.

I do want to be clear. I am fine with the pick. I think that he could take a Dugger role THIS YEAR if Dugger were injured.
The pats are awful against mobile qbs and weren't great on 3rd down last year. We have also been clearly toying with faster LBs such as Wilson and i think this pick is one more step to acknowledging that is a need in the NFL right now by Bill.

It will be interesting to see what BB does with that cap room, but I'd be shocked if he gives Duggar or Onwenu top of the market deals. I think Mapu and Sow are their replacements.

I think BB will pay Duggar and Uche. Both players have improved every year, and in Y4 they will get better. Let's hope White plays a limited but significant role and Roberts/Mitchell emerges in Y2, and our DL will be great. The D could be special if Gonzalez hits. I think Mapu needs a year before he contributes.

If Sow, Mafi, or Hines are good, BB will let Onwenu walk. A lot of people like Onwenu, including me, but his mobility is limited and will not improve with age. The OL is still a work in progress. Hopefully the three interior positions are settled next year, and we can add the tackles.

Just saw today he’s Junior Seau’s nephew.
If there was an interview, Mapu probably nailed it. From Masslive (MDaniels):

Mapu was 10-years-old when he met Seau for the first and only time. At that point in his youth football career, he loved the sport. The meeting happened sometime in 2009 when Seau was finishing up his NFL career. His father, Av’e Mapu, told the story:

“I always remember when he asked the question and he goes to him ‘what can I do to get better?’,” Av’e Mapu said. “Junior just told him, ‘Hey, I know you’re too young right now to know but for me, it’s film study.’”

I would have been very happy if Kraft's name was called in the 3rd. I would have been equally happy if Washington's name was called in the 6th....or Kuntz's. BTW- a lot of the talk about Washington being a great blocking TE are based on his size, NOT on his film, where he was mediocre at best. He MIGHT develop into a good blocker down the road because of that size, but he isn't one now.

As to Mapu, I've been thinking on this pick as well as how defenses have evolved to defend today's passing and RPO offenses.

First I think that people need to start to forget traditional position titles and alignment names, especially when you look at the 2nd and 3rd levels. Players and responsibility have become so much more "fluid", especially for teams like the Pats who prepare their defenses week to week. So alignments and player packages will changed based on the offensive systems they are trying to defend each week. So while we all grew up on who is the free safety and who is the SS is harder to define. Strong safeties are now playing LB, or in the areal between the LB and secondary. Our DL is now more athletic and is moving all the time, rather than 2 gapping like before. Our alignments can change from 3 to 4 man looks WITHIN the same series, rather than the 3 man front we ONLY saw in the aughts, or the strictly 4 man fronts we've mostlyu seen since Vince left.

Within this context a guy like Mapu becomes a really nice chess piece that a coordinator can plug in. I don't think he's a Duggar safety net, even if though that were the case, he'd be worth the pick. No I think he is more LB than S and at say 230lbs, he can become our version of Devon White next year, and meanwhile THIS year he can have an impact as a valued chess piece against specific players and schemes, as well as depth at 2 levels.

Bill has made concerted effort to add speed and athleticism to the team in the draft picks they choose. He used to build teams designed to physically beat you up over the course of 4 quarters. The game though has changed so that is harder to do effectively. Lets see how this all pans out.

BTW- a lot of the talk about Washington being a great blocking TE are based on his size, NOT on his film, where he was mediocre at best. He MIGHT develop into a good blocker down the road because of that size, but he isn't one now.

yep. people prefer to go by the numbers - understandably so - its easier. The tape on big W was always suspect and just bc production slightly increased the player on the tape did not change much last season. They have good coaches in Georgia and your emphasising MIGHT is a reality that the league reflected in passing on him. While he was #3 TE on consensus board (the consensus of people who dont know and dont decide), he was the 8th TE taken. Hes definitely a Steeler now but not necessarily a steal..

First I think that people need to start to forget traditional position titles and alignment names, especially when you look at the 2nd and 3rd levels. Players and responsibility have become so much more "fluid", especially for teams like the Pats who prepare their defenses week to week. So alignments and player packages will changed based on the offensive systems they are trying to defend each week.
one would think after following Pats esp over the last years this would be a given.
Love the pick. I think this shifts jon Jones back to the slot and mills takes mccourtys role.

DMC himself said that he doesn't expect “replacement“ for him and that the D will be even more exciting bc it will be even more unpredictable. “Dont worry about replacement just let the boys cook.“

Mayo and Groh said the same already after Gonzales pick. They both emphasized that he can also play inside - so he can be used in the slot when opponent/matchup or situation calls for that (Id def put him on Kelce f.e).

Same goes for so called FS - f.e. Mills contract and his comments suggest they dont see him as (starting) outside corner for this season (he suggested FS) . but i wouldnt be surprised if at one point (in specific situation) i see him outside (together with Jack f.e.), Marcus and Gonzo covering the slots/crossers, Mapu and Dugger ”LB” and Jon deep safety - when opponents strength is attacking the middle of the field combined with mobile QB...

Each of these guys can legitimately play 3 positions (either 3 DB or 3 hybrid LB/S) and Pats D should be most exciting & fun to watch..

Last edited:
A little poem, while channelling my inner Henry Gibson:

Dear Marty McPoo,

I really hate the picking of you,

Oh yes I do....

But not nearly as much as I hate the ****ING IDIOT that drafted you WITH THE 76TH ****ING PICK IN THE ENTIRE ****ING DRAFT.

Hey I didn't mention everything, like, rhyming 'n ****...

Dear Marty McPoo,

Oh yes I do....

But not nearly as much as I hate the ****ING IDIOT that drafted you WITH THE 76TH ****ING PICK IN THE ENTIRE ****ING DRAFT.

So, I guessing here that you DON'T like the Mapu pick. ;)

Now would have picked Kraft. Who was the guy left on the board at that time that YOU would have picked.

Dear Marty McPoo,

Oh yes I do....

Just out of curiosity? Have you watched any of the film of him?

Mapu becomes a really nice chess piece that a coordinator can plug in.
Yes, that’s it. I’m not sure if seeking a widget was a good idea for a team with such substantial holes to fill after the season at OT and TE.

I think Belichick likes this pick as a way to aggrandize his sons’ coaching pedigree. Time will tell if it was the best move for the team.

It’s going to take a season or two before this player, a project, pays off. Belichick May have been replaced by someone else by that point.

great film on Mapu
(WARNING: dont watch this if youd like to continue to ***** about the pick)

Loved the line in there: (paraphrased)
‘ he doesn’t play like 217; he just ran thru >500lbs of humans, knocking them both backwards snd still has the balance to be on his feet‘

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back