PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Marte Mapu - Round 3 - #76th Overall

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Grab Sacramento State’s Marte Mapu in Round 3
Ian Logue
The Patriots made their second selection of the night on Friday, taking Sacramento State's Marte Mapu with the 76th overall selection in the third round.

The post Patriots Grab Sacramento State’s Marte Mapu in Round 3 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
This was about where Jeremiah had him as the #73 best player.

I don't actually hate the player. He's a baller.

I'm concerned, however, that he's a bit small for linebacker if he has to stack and shed regularly. As a star or safety, he duplicates Dugger/Peppers/Phillips a bit too much to see a lot of sub package or box safety/slot work. Who do we take off the field? We definitely need a McCourty replacement, but I'm afraid that he lacks the speed for single high.

I'd have preferred OL, but most of my favorites were already gone, so I get it. Cautiously optimistic, but I'm still a little worried he a jack of all trades and master of none.

I don't care how athletic he is 217lbs is to small to play lb in the nfl, and i read hes a mike lb. I have visions of him trying to tackle josh allen, who runs right over him.

Maybe Pats finally found somebody who can cover TE?
They have zero LB/S on the roster who can play/cover backward so this might be more significant addition than it seems.
And he looks like he can sniff out QB run . another major weakness..

Hard to go by highlights only but - could he be close to the bigger Jevon Holland? (the coveted #36 pick)

”In the pass game, he quickly diagnoses route concepts and does a good job of being disciplined in his coverage. It often seems like he has eyes in the back of his head, as he does a fantastic job of being able to cover his blind spots as a second-level coverage defender. Given his physical tools and IQ, Mapu is a matchup nightmare for tight ends and slot receivers in both man and zone coverage. He mirrors shifty route-runners with ease down the field and is very effective in trail technique which he was asked to use consistently as a slot defender. His range and ability to cover ground made him dangerous in all areas of the field, but his physicality in coverage neutralized route-runners and would often force tight window passes where he would demonstrate great ball skills to be able to intercept or swipe away passes. With his size, Marte will be an immediate answer to the new age of dynamic tight ends that have started to take the league by storm.”

I don't actually hate the player. He's a baller.

I'm concerned, however, that he's a bit small for linebacker if he has to stack and shed regularly. As a star or safety, he duplicates Dugger/Peppers/Phillips a bit too much to see a lot of sub package or box safety/slot work. Who do we take off the field? We definitely need a McCourty replacement, but I'm afraid that he lacks the speed for single high.

I'd have preferred OL, but most of my favorites were already gone, so I get it. Cautiously optimistic, but I'm still a little worried he a jack of all trades and master of none.

Thanks for fair comments. Where did you see his athletic scores to known he lacks the speed to play single high safety? I read "ultra-athletic" but do not see any numbers.

If the Pats introduced him as a LB, I assume he is a passing down LB to start and we will see if he can get to 235 lbs. Does not speak well for Wilson or McMillan.

Duggar replacement. Duggar's up after this year and the days of players taking less $ to play in NE are long gone. Bill the GM is not splashing a massive contract on Duggar and someone will overpay for him.

Duggar replacement. Duggar's up after this year and the days of players taking less $ to play in NE are long gone. Bill the GM is not splashing a massive contract on Duggar and someone will overpay for him.

And...?

Premature at best the Pats in '24 have over $100 million in cap room, so they can retain some of these guys if they continue to progress.

I like this pick, versatile players are and have been the hallmark of these teams for a while now..

Two amazing picks in rounds 1-2 and everyone is fixated on a pick in round 3 they don’t like.

Miserable Pats fans posters are gonna miserable.
It's really the lack of addressing offense. The fourth should be all offensive lineman and maybe a wr in there. It's baffling... The offense sucked and this has been all defense so far. It's admitting coaching sucked and it wasn't the offensive players

It's really the lack of addressing offense. The fourth should be all offensive lineman and maybe a wr in there. It's baffling... The offense sucked and this has been all defense so far. It's admitting coaching sucked and it wasn't the offensive players

The FA and coaching upgrades were made on offense.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back