PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Marte Mapu - Round 3 - #76th Overall

When they announced the pick, they called him a LB. He is a hybrid LB/S and those are the modern LBs today.
Given that they called him a LB, I think the player most on notice here is Mack Wilson. He might be a/the LB in dime and quarters sets, but we’ll need to see how he can tackle when running teams try to take as advantage of the light box (and we’ll need the DL to hold/contain on such plays….).

Let's think more broadly about this. Last year BUF scored 24 and 35 points vs us and in the 2nd game we allowed 14 points on special teams. That's an average of 22.5 offensive ppg allowed while the NEP scored 10 and 23 points. That's 16.5ppg. They didn't lose b/c their D sucked. It could have been better but they lost because of ST and a pathetic offense. Going 7-25 on 3rd down both games is not going to get it done.

This team has zero chance to pass KC, BUF and CIN without an explosive offense and playing smart football. I'm fine w/ the Gonzalez and the White pick. Need CBs and pass rushers vs BUF.

They drafted an in the box SS. As i've said the player is OK. The question is was it a higher priority than WR or OT? I don't think it was.

I'm not going to lay out 283 scenarios for trading up for a WR/OT and for whom. Groh said they liked a couple of players but didn't pull the trigger. Anyway you slice it WR and OT is a need. They need scoring and to control the LoS
I don’t think there was a player at either spot who would help significantly this year. JJSS, Thornton, Bourne, Parker are the 4. The guys they took in the 6th are as likely to crack that group this year as anyone they could have drafted in the 3rd.
OT is curious. I suspect they felt the IOL guys were more ready to play if needed and Onwenu or Strange can play outside if the other plans fail.

Given that they called him a LB, I think the player most on notice here is Mack Wilson. He might be a/the LB in dime and quarters sets, but we’ll need to see how he can tackle when running teams try to take as advantage of the light box (and we’ll need the DL to hold/contain on such plays….).
You don’t pick a guy in round 3 to be the impetus of a scheme change, since more of the contribute little or nothing year 1 than play a big role. But I think what it does signal is that the scheme has room for a smaller, faster, coverage skilled LB that can do things out bigger LBs can’t do so well.
Part of our scheme has been to not expose LBs to coverage much, particular man coverage. Having a LB who can cover TEs one on one opens up more scheme possibilities.
If he plays 30% of the snaps that’s an awful lot of a 3rd rounder and it would make him a vital contributor. And if he is reliable in that role it can make other players better by opening up more scheme options.

I wonder if Marte Mapu is seen as a taller Pat Chung and Adrian Phillips successor? An enforcer in the run game and also to patrol the box and cover tight ends/ running backs.
Apparently Mapu was 7th ranked safety on Dane Brugler's prospect board,

Maybe I'm just rationalizing but with Phillips getting long in the tooth and Dugger in a contract year, this pick could turn out to be a good investment.

Anyway you slice it WR and OT is a need.

The only opportunity for upgrade at OT this year was FA. They went for Dillard and lost to TEN.
(and that would hardly be a slam dunk looking at his availability history)
You cant just create draft prospects out of thin air. I was saying it for a year and it didnt change much since - i didnt see a single tackle that i liked as a starter. I wouldn't even bet on Paris as a competent/confident starter in NFL. Thats why i banged the top OT drum in FA.

Similar goes for WR. At least there Flowers could bring the extra juice to the offense but id be hesitant to throw #14 or 17 at him esp with Pats history of drafting and developing WRs and with Gonzo (among others) still on the board.

I was afraid they might try to compensate poor FA and waste top picks at mediocre prospects, thankfully they went the right way.

At #76 (or higher) again - please suggest a concrete prospect at WR or OT available they should've gone for and that you believe he would transform the offense as you would wish for. Otherwise its just fantasy over reality.

They need scoring and to control the LoS

Again i choose reality over fantasy.
I dont think this offense is/was two players away from scoring machine and esp not two players from this Draft.
I do believe the D is/was a couple of players away from being the roadblock like the one that shut down the Rams and the rest in 2018/19.
And those players were actually available in the Draft.

As for the control of LOS goes - they did invest in IOL - which was a better and deeper class than OT. Thankfully they took studs so hopefully we will be able to forget about PS guys like Ferentz and Russey being the next man up. At first my thought was that good G competition would produce a new starter at G and “push“ Onwenu at RT . but Groh immediately crushed that dream saying Onwenu should stay at G. This is not a surprise since it seems that with Mac (or Zappe) IOL takes priority over OT. In any case i hope they will at least give some opportunity to Sow to compete for a starting tackle.

-.-

Last edited:
The only opportunity for upgrade at OT this year was FA. They went for Dillard and lost to TEN.
(and that would hardly be a slam dunk looking at his availability history)
You cant just create draft prospects out of thin air. I was saying it for a year and it didnt change much since - i didnt see a single tackle that i liked as a starter. I wouldn't even bet on Paris as a competent/confident starter in NFL. Thats why i banged the top OT drum in FA.

Similar goes for WR. At least there Flowers could bring the extra juice to the offense but id be hesitant to throw #14 or 17 at him esp with Pats history of drafting and developing WRs and with Gonzo (among others) still on the board.

I was afraid they might try to compensate poor FA and waste top picks at mediocre prospects, thankfully they went the right way.

At #76 (or higher) again - please suggest a concrete prospect at WR or OT available they should've gone for and that you believe he would transform the offense as you would wish for. Otherwise its just fantasy over reality.

Again i choose reality over fantasy.
I dont think this offense is/was two players away from scoring machine and esp not two players from this Draft.
I do believe the D is/was a couple of players away from being the roadblock like the one that shut down the Rams and the rest in 2018/19.
And those players were actually available in the Draft.

As for the control of LOS goes - they did invest in IOL - which was a better and deeper class than OT. Thankfully they took studs so hopefully we will be able to forget about PS guys like Ferentz and Russey being the next man up. At first my thought was that good G competition would produce a new starter at G and “push“ Onwenu at RT . but Groh immediately crushed that dream saying Onwenu should stay at G. This is not a surprise since it seems that with Mac (or Zappe) IOL takes priority over OT. In any case i hope they will at least give some opportunity to Sow to compete for a starting tackle.

-.-
Again, i'm not playing the draft/trade picks game. They could have traded up, for a NFL player, etc.

Agree investing in OL was a very smart move.

WR or OT is a critical need. Acquiring said players isn't just via the draft.

Just discovered that Junior Seau was his uncle. Bloodlines don't get much better than that.

No question. But the OT ship for 2023 has more or less sailed. They'll scramble with what they have. They guaranteed 4.2M of Reiff salary and 4 to Anderson.

Ironically healthy and motivated Wynn (which is a fantasy at this point) would be far superior to any OT they have brought in in FA.
I thought they might go the Fleming way if they were into reunions. Had a solid yr in DEN and is still out there.

In any case i hope they will at least give some opportunity to Sow to compete for a starting tackle.

Great post. Thank you. Hopefully Sow can be a tackle. Mac needs a clean pocket, that means no push up the middle. Hopefully Andrews, Mafi, and Strange can stop the push up the middle for years to come.

Again, i'm not playing the draft/trade picks game. They could have traded up, for a NFL player, etc.

Agree investing in OL was a very smart move.

Groh said they tried to trade up and no-one wanted more picks in the 2023 draft, only future 2024 picks which the Pats did not want to give up. So Groh said No they could not have traded up - they tried.

No question. But the OT ship for 2023 has more or less sailed. They'll scramble with what they have. They guaranteed 4.2M of Reiff salary and 4 to Anderson.

Ironically healthy and motivated Wynn (which is a fantasy at this point) would be far superior to any OT they have brought in in FA.
I thought they might go the Fleming way if they were into reunions. Had a solid yr in DEN and is still out there.
It is a bit interesting how Wynnie the Pooh remains unsigned. His talent alone is worth a flyer. I bet he gets picked up in the next week of so (not by us)

Groh said they tried to trade up and no-one wanted more picks in the 2023 draft, only future 2024 picks which the Pats did not want to give up. So Groh said No they could not have traded up - they tried.
I kinda believe him. Groh strikes me as a pretty smart guy.

It is a bit interesting how Wynnie the Pooh remains unsigned. His talent alone is worth a flyer. I bet he gets picked up in the next week of so (not by us)
Maybe team owners have some sort of sentimental attachment to their wallets and are not keen on giving up... What was it... 8 generations' worth of life savings just to possibly make a rap song?

Maybe team owners have some sort of sentimental attachment to their wallets and are not keen on giving up... What was it... 8 generations' worth of life savings just to possibly make a rap song?
Mr. Wynn is his own worst enemy. I don’t feel the least bit bad for him. He made 10 million bucks being a bad dog with a bad attitude last year. A lot of dough for being an ******* and doing nothing to earn it.

Talent what talent for making the club from the tub?? Yes it takes quite a bit of talent to do that.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back