PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Marte Mapu - Round 3 - #76th Overall

Not drafting a TE at 76 is not a way to endear the fans or the offense. Mac Jones is probably pissed.
I'd put money that Jones couldn't give 2 flying F**Ks that the Patriots didn't "DRAFT" a TE at 76. Why? Because the Patriots signed a TE that is way better than anyone that was around at 76 during the draft. It doesn't matter that he's potentially a FA at the end of the year. Just like it doesn't matter that Henry is one either. This is something YOU still can't comprehend. Just like your chum, Capt. Stone. I guarantee you that Jones just wants the offense to be significantly improved over last year so that the offense doesn't look putrid.

BTW, Gesicki didn't allow a sack from 2019-2021. He allowed 2 in 2018 and 2 in 2022. So, I think his pass blocking is slightly better than advertised.

I look at the Pats roster and I see this:
Calvin Anderson - Started multiple games at LT for the Broncos. He gave up 2 sacks, 3 hits and 17 total hurries in 438 snaps.
Trent Brown - Gave up 8 sacks, 8 hits and 23 hurries in 1030 snaps.
Reilly Reiff - Gave up 3 sacks, 2 hits, 13 hurries in 534 snaps at RT for the Bears.
Conor McDermott- 0 sacks, 3 hits, 8 hurries in 361 snaps for the Pats.
Yodny Cajuste - 3 sacks, 0 hits, 9 hurries in 192 snaps

GONE:
Isaiah Wynn - 4 sacks, 2 hits, 11 hurries in 363 snaps.

You also have Strange, Sow, and Steuber.

Unlike You and Cap, I see a plethora of varied talent that should be better with an excellent OC in B'OB and O-Line Coach in Klemm. I'm not saying they'll turn into All-Pros, but I expect the OT to NOT give up 15 sacks, 13 hits and 51 hurries. When the OTs are allowing 79 pressures, that a serious issue.

The IOL allowed the following last year, by comparison
Strange - 5 sacks, 1 hit, 17 hurries in 982 snaps
Ferentz - 2 sacks, 0 hits, 2 hurries in 265 snaps
Andrews - 2 sacks, 1 hit, 10 hurries in 799 snaps
Onwenu - 1 sack, 2 hits, 11 hurries in 1044 snaps.

Whether Strange is at LG or at LT, I expect him to give up fewer sacks and hurries. If D. Andrews stays healthy all year, I expect him to stay under 25 pressures for the whole season.

There were two compelling guys available in Darnell Washington or Tucker Kraft.

I now understand there are character concerns about Washington, who was essentially homeless growing up with his brother in Las. Vegas.

So Tucker Kraft, who can in-line block in addition to receiving, which helps our underwhelming tackle play, would have been the safer route.

Pittsburgh got Darnell Washington. He’ll be a fearsome blocker and a growing receiving threat.
This is where you forget things. We just had our 36 year old FS retire. Dugger is a UFA at the end of the season and currently one of the best Hybrid LB/S in the league. Phillips is 31. Mills is 29. Peppers is 28. Mapu is 23.
Having someone back there who can LEARN from Dugger and be INSURANCE in case of injury to one of the other 4 isn't a bad thing. in fact, it's a GOOD thing.

OH. And you've forgotten what BB has said about the TE position on the Pats. That it's the hardest position to learn AFTER QB.

Mapu is an interesting player with hard hitting ways and excellent coverage skills.

But we’ve got Matt Sokol as our third TE. He’s probably the least talented guy on the 53 man roster in the whole freakin’ league. This was also a historically talented TE class.

In a normal year Tucker Kraft or Darnell Washington go in the second round.

No. It was only a "historically talented TE Class" in the eyes of Draftnicks. You have no idea how the TEAMS saw it. How many TEs were taken in the 1st round? ONE. At one point, the draftniks were talking like as many as 5-6 would go in round 1. Yet, only ONE went. Yeah, 5 went off in the 2nd round and 3 more in round 3. 2019 had 8 TEs in the first 3 rounds. Look at how many of those are already on their 2nd or 3rd teams.

You complain about the Pats not taking Washington. How many teams passed on Washington before the Steelers took him? This was a guy being touted as a 1st round talent. Yet even the Steelers passed on him several times before they pulled the trigger. Think about that.

The Same with the WR class.. It's not terribly great, yet it was being touted as being talented and deep. The 2022 WR class is mostly #3/#4 receivers with a couple players who could become a #1 or #2.

But here is the tell-tale that the Draftniks out there don't really know much. This was arguably one of the weakest classes for QBs according to them. Yet, an NFL record for QBs drafted was set at 14 with 3 going in the first 4 picks. Feel free to explain THAT one.

I learned 10-12 years ago that the draftniks are ONLY a general guide. AT BEST. To hold them as GOSPEL is erroneous and ridiculous and only makes a person look silly. No one has any idea how all these players will turn out. Some will become stars. Others will bust. Others still will be JAGs. To sit there like you and Cap do and pretend like you are God's gift to talent evaluation and that you're somehow smarter than Belichick, Groh and Wolf is just ridiculous.

Loved the line in there: (paraphrased)
‘ he doesn’t play like 217; he just ran thru >500lbs of humans, knocking them both backwards snd still has the balance to be on his feet‘

yeah im not worried about his playing ability at that lb (which is a fluid # and most guys add in NFL) . no matter what the number the tape shows he can certainly take on biggest offensive guys like TEs, Allen, D.Henry.. Owusu-Koromoah who is a prototype hybrid size is about the same.. Mack Wilson is listed at 230 but struggles. As far as ability goes numbers tell only so much..

The question i have is injury concern (although the pec injury happened in the gym : ) ). normally smaller violent guys are sooner to miss games. then again i doubt Pats will use him the way he was used at Senior Bowl (ILB). teams just wanted to see him there to complete the eval since he did not play that in college as he says in the interview below.

I see him as the best option they brought in in a long while to play the coveted Saban (Belichick) STAR position - slot/box/mid field hybrid that has good capability in all directions (down, back, lateral). They tried this with Kamu Grugier Hill and now Dugger, but they both lacked in backward/coverage game and also instincts. This guy might be slightly less “athletic“ but combination of his agility in all directions (and incredible balance as you mention - changing direction in a flash) + the understanding of the game and instincts - could land BB finally his true STAR..
of course this is one of the hardest positions to pin down so we'll see..

here i just like how he talks about the game - its all tape, understanding, chess match.. with instinct on top of that ..
so of course he landed here : )

Last edited:
Yes, that’s it. I’m not sure if seeking a widget was a good idea for a team with such substantial holes to fill after the season at OT and TE.

I think Belichick likes this pick as a way to aggrandize his sons’ coaching pedigree. Time will tell if it was the best move for the team.

It’s going to take a season or two before this player, a project, pays off. Belichick May have been replaced by someone else by that point.
You don't think it's more likely he was picked because the Pats defense was awful on 3rd down and struggled against running QBs? Instead of that you believe it was just to make his sons look good??

Should have drafted TE Kraft. Our loss is Green Bay’s gain. A guy with the size and athleticism to both block and catch. Boy, do we need that out of the TE spot.

We have the second-oldest offense that scored 364 points last year to rank 17.

Our defense got better after the first two picks. We were ranked 11 last year, giving up 347 points.

So in the third round it was clearly time to go offense.

Why didn’t we? The next few picks offensive players at positions of need, slot receiver Josh Downs and TE Tyler Kraft, were taken.

Why should we trust BB? The last 25 years he says. Wrong answer.

I’ve lost my trust in him outside of being a great defensive coach. This is why he won’t break Shula’s record.

Our defense got better after the first two picks. We were ranked 11 last year, giving up 347 points.

Why didn’t we? The next few picks offensive players at positions of need, slot receiver Josh Downs and TE Tyler Kraft, were taken.

I’ve lost my trust in him outside of being a great defensive coach. This is why he won’t break Shula’s record.
You're not even a wee bit impressed that he kept Brady-the-Nobody as a 4th QB in 2000 then stayed with him in 2001 rather than bringing back the guy that had just (March) been awarded the richest contract in NFL history?

Pretty good offensive roster decisions for a defensive coach.

You're not even a wee bit impressed that he kept Brady-the-Nobody as a 4th QB in 2000 then stayed with him in 2001 rather than bringing back the guy that had just (March) been awarded the richest contract in NFL history?

Pretty good offensive roster decisions for a defensive coach.
You’re not making as strong an argument as you think you are.

So, Belichick focused on the Defense in round Ona and Round 2.

So, what did Belichick do with the next 5 picks: 1 Defense, 3 Offense, 1 STer
==============================================
MAPU IS AN INIGMA
No one know where he will fit in. THEREFORE, of course, we all question the pick. It certainly seems right to do so, Of course, many posters here would substitute their personal draft boards for Belichick's and want us to have drafted their favorite. Also, we want the BPA on the Board, UNLESS we disagree with the pick.

BOTTOM LINE
Sure, I would have preferred someone else drafted when Mapu was drafted. Of course, for me, I am fine with all the rest of the picks when we made them, so this one pick isn't a big deal.

Swap Boutte with Mapu and most of us would have been happier.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back