PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Pete Carroll fired anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the players and coaching staff respected him. I heard that Kraft was hot for Belichick before Parcells quit.
Not only was Kraft hot for BB, but BB was hot for the job. BB played the role of head coach on the flight home from the SB loss since Parcells skipped town, and many players assumed he was getting the job. The Krafts and Belichicks went to dinner at the Capital Grille in Newton after Parcells quit, and BB’s first wife practically begged Kraft to give BB the job.

Kraft ultimately didn’t think the timing was right because BB was too tied to Parcells (Parcells practically begged Kraft to bring him in, and Kraft told Parcells that he was already over budget on the coaching staff, but Parcells talked Kraft into meeting with BB anyway and the rest is history). But he was really upset about that because BB was his 1st choice all along, BB had really impressed him during their conversations and with his actual coaching during 1996 (in addition to instantaneous improvements on defense, the defensive guys loved him).

He was too jacked and pumped.

Petey played basketball with the players after practice. He couldnt jump either.

Pats finished last in the East and Kraft had wanted Belichick for a few years

That's more or less it IMHO. Kraft identified his next HC and Carroll was simply moved to make room for him. Best decision Kraft ever made, but there wasn't really anyting wrong with Carroll as a coach.

He was too jacked and pumped.

Petey played basketball with the players after practice. He couldnt jump either.
Love the new avatar.

He took a young superbowl team and got it to perform at 8-8.
They weren't young. O-line and front seven were old and overpaid. Coates was regressing. They had no running game forcing Bledsoe to throw more than he should.

They weren't young. O-line and front seven were old and overpaid. Coates was regressing. They had no running game forcing Bledsoe to throw more than he should.

only henry thomas was old in 1999 starting front 7.........they were a substantially older team when they won it all in 2001

only henry thomas was old in 1999 starting front 7.........they were a substantially older team when they won it all in 2001
Yeah you're right. Chris Slade was up there though. 2001 had better performing players and they were on the cheap.

D-line was also always banged up during the Carroll years, especially McGinest who became iron man when BB arrived.

I think he learned a lot between the Patriots and the Seahawks. It happens. Think about your first actual career position and where you are now.

jeezus krist....why?????????????...Pete the Cleaner..."just gotta clean things up...clean things up" This idiot took a playoff team and in 3 years ran it into a team in his third season that came out of a halftime IN Foxboro midway through the season and had THREE CONSECUTIVE "too many men on the field" penalties. WHY DID HE GET FIRED???????????? Really? Some of you LIVED through this and still question why?

Carroll when he was here was a players coach, and there did not seem like the same level of discipline prior to and after he left.. he seemed and acted more like an overpaid cheerleader than an NFL coach..

After he left he "grew up" in the coaching system first at USC, where he was successful and then with Seattle...

The Pete Carroll of today is nothing like the version we saw in the late 90's...

I think you need to take a real hard look at the roster, it s was stacked. The OL was fine, Bledose held the ball too long, but it was fine. The defense was stacked! Carrol loose style of coaching was not effective and it showed in very inconsistent play from week to week.

If Robert Edwards didn’t play beach football at the pro bowl - I wonder how history would have evolved from there. Maybe Pete stays. And then...

Doubt they would have gotten past a powerhouse Donkey team but I think they would have contended. I don’t blame Pete for either playoff loss and the second one would be like Hoyer starting a playoff game. Yikes.

jeezus krist....why?????????????...Pete the Cleaner..."just gotta clean things up...clean things up" This idiot took a playoff team and in 3 years ran it into a team in his third season that came out of a halftime IN Foxboro midway through the season and had THREE CONSECUTIVE "too many men on the field" penalties. WHY DID HE GET FIRED???????????? Really? Some of you LIVED through this and still question why?

calm yourself

Lol, you realize this was over 20yrs ago and not everyone followed the team back then the way we did, right?

Man...somebody had some serious caffeine this morning. :cool:

Last edited:
There were also numerous issues internally with personnel, back office problems with players undermining him and they were extremely undisciplined. He didn’t have control and they were a mess, and the 2-6 finish to that season was actually uglier than it was on paper.

It didn’t help that Parcells turned the Jets around and I’m sure that irritated Kraft that the team was heading in the wrong direction. Granted, if hiring Belichick wasn’t a possibility, it’s hard to say what would have happened. But I specifically recall the fact we all knew he was on the hot seat heading into that final season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back