PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

why so quiet on the OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, let me just point out that brute power is not the only thing the Pats are looking for in a center. Intelligence matters a lot, too.

I would argue the depth is better than thought, merely because it has had only very limited exposure so far. But in those very limited circumstances, the depth, especially Fleming and Karras have not embarrassed themselves or the team...

Fleming has had only a single start at both Left and Right tackle, and occasional snaps as the "sixth" lineman. And Karras has maybe two starts at LG. Games they played were victories.

Fleming had starts and significant snaps at LT, RT and RG during his first two seasons, and started one game at each tackle spot in 2016.

FWIW, let me just point out that brute power is not the only thing the Pats are looking for in a center. Intelligence matters a lot, too.

This. Just like it takes an unusual amount of football intelligence to be a receiver in Brady's Patriots offense, IMHO that is true with Center also.

Who has had by far the longest tenure as Brady's Center? An undersized player (a college Rimington trophy winner) who could occasionally be pushed around by larger lineman but who was known for exceptional football smarts, Dan Koppen (I remember reading this somewhere but I'm too lazy to look it up now).

Now we have an undersized Center (a Rimmington trophy finalist) who can occasionally get pushed around by larger lineman, but despite his youth Brady calls him the "ringleader" of the offensive line, the guy who gets everyone in place. Sounds like a player with exceptional football smarts, perhaps guys like Koppen and Andrews work best with Brady.

Sounds like a player with exceptional football smarts, perhaps guys like Koppen and Andrews work best with Brady.
There was that White pass in SB LI OT where Andrews made a possibly illegal chop block, .

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that chop block too, as it was happening. Obviously glad that the zebras put their whistles in their pockets by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes