PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why have most Patriot teams had mediocre running games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you look at only 1yd TD passes Brady still is the vulture king though not by as big of a margin:
Brady 35/456 = 7.7%
Favre 37/508 = 7.3%
Goober 38/539 = 7.1%
I think a better comparison would be "vultured" TDs vs. total TDs scored by team or vs. 2 yds or less rushing TDs. I don't have the time or desire to do the research

Your post shows how little you know about presenting a cogent argument.

Chad Jackson was a 2nd rd pick - selected 36th overall. We had to trade a 2nd AND a 3rd just to make this pick. Chads stats with NE - 13 rec 152 yards and 3 TDs in 14 games

Ras I Dowling was selected 33rd overall and played 9 games with 1 PD and a handful of tackles.

LOMO played 45 games had 2430 yds rushing and 409 yards receiving. He put up 22 TDs and had a 4.1 YPC average over his career in NE. His 2007 season stats rushing - 835 yards on 185 carries 4.5 YPC 6TDs over 13 regular season games. Over his NE career he also chipped in with about 4000 yards of returns with an average of 26 yards. He also averaged 4 YPC in the playoffs over 7 games. Had 2 awesome playoff games for us in 2007.

While LOMO was a bust he wasn't nearly the bust the other 2 were particularly Jackson.

The bottom line here is that it doesn't really matter where the Pats have ranked statistically, or how useful and productive (especially in terms of scoring) their ground game has been most of the time, the fact is that they've never had an Adrian Peterson or Zeke Elliot - an RB who matches Brady in "elite-ness", who regularly takes games over and who's capable of carrying a team on his back.

That's really why the ground game is considered "mediocre".

well, for 1 year they did...Clock Killin' Corey Dillon

not a coincidence thats the only time the offense was structured to feed a bell cow RB.

Dillon in 04:
345 carries (2nd all time in franchise history)
1,635 yards (1st all time in franchise history)
12 td (3rd all time in franchise history)
4.7 ypc (3rd all time in franchise history w >200 carries...1st is 4.9 ypc)

for reference the 345 carries and 1,635 yards would both lead the NFL in 2016

It's funny to see the 1 YD TD arguments.

We discredit 1 YD TDs from QBs as vulture TDs.

We even discredit 1 YD TDs for running backs. Just look at the Blount thread. Whenever someone brings up 18 TDs there will be at least 5 people saying 'yes, but how many were from 1 YD?'.

I bet Russell Wilson would have preferred a vulture 1 YD TD against the Pats in SB 49 over what happened.

I suppose we could solution this problem by telling the offensive lineman to always take a false start penalty whenever they are at the 1 yard line.

When they ask why the change in philosophy we'll inform them "Because no one respects the 1 YD score no matter how you get it."

Blount had a good season stats wise even though his ypc were below average. In the playoffs he wasn't very good. Maroney in 2007 was below average. Green-Ellis, Ridley, Vereen were all average rushing backs.
1978. Best Rushing team in NFL History to this day

They haven't had many top shelf running backs, but they've run the ball effectively many years. Don't forget, they broke rushing records with John Hannah. Grandma could have ground out 4 yards a game behind Hog Hannah.
in 1978 they rushed for the most in NFL history, like over 3500 yards, with not one rusher with more than 750 yards. Even Grogan ran for like 500 yards that year.

in 1978 they rushed for the most in NFL history, like over 3500 yards, with not one rusher with more than 750 yards. Even Grogan ran for like 500 yards that year.

well, to be fair even one of us could've gotten 500 behind Hannah and that line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes