Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Brandon Bolden be on the Pats 53 roster at the start of the 2017 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Even if Gillislee is out for a bit, I think BB would keep another more promising player over Bolden

I hope @robertweathers doesn't mind using his quote here that sparked this little inquiry on pats fans & media playing bubble game w BB & BB . and can maybe spark another Bolden bubble debate with me playing his advocate a little bit. Im not his biggest fan but somebody has to stand for the eternal bubble boy..

My point beforehand was that w every practice Gillislee misses Bolden is one step closer to the roster.
____

From 2012 when Bolden came to Foxboro as UDFA, fumbled twice in preseason and still made the 53 . he played 67 games for the Patriots and missed 13 (on PED suspension and injuries). Since that time people were cutting him from the roster . preseason, midseason, offseason. (Make no mistake I was among them more than once :)). Yet he made (and stayed on) the team every single year.

This year again most people are putting him on the wrong side of cut. One would think we would learn from the past but no worries about that.

Its true that there are many arguments seemingly working against him: he was signed relatively late for minimum salary and virtually no guarantees, BB&co brought in two young RBs on unusually high salary and guarantees (one of them also being a ST monster), they also extended White and kept the RB sensation of early 2015 Lewis. These are pretty strong arguments against Bolden's chances no matter what kind of e/valuation someone has of Brandon. But at the same time . these are all paper arguments.

Looking at on-the-field arguments Bolden is very well respected veteran and among those currently on the team that played most games in Pats uniform. He is tough (very tough actually, played through many injuries etc. - look history below), smart, dependable acc. to BB and Josh. Moreover he is versatile, plays all 4 downs. As RB he is a big back that can rush the tough yards, can catch the ball, can block, pass protect, reliable in picking up blitzes. Evaluations on how good he is at those things I am sure differ. He is 27, so in his prime, physically and mentally. Despite all that he was never very productive on offense and basically didn't play at all last year.

Nevertheless all insider reports always say Pats see him as very valuable player and not just on account od special teams. Then why they paid him peanuts one would argue? Well, maybe its because they didn't have to pay more and because they are very serious about salary cap business.

Coming back to 2017 . my feeling currently is that he might be closer to the roster than most believe: Gillislee is not practicing after hurting his hammy again early in TC after same minicamp problems . Burkhead missed one week of practice and first game w concussion and also had problems entering end zone from 2yds . Lewis didn't look too good rushing inside either . Bolden is taking many 1st team reps especially in short yd & goal line situations . going by practice reports and JAX game he is clearly ahead of Foster and Daniels, seems neck and neck w Lewis and of the two (possibly even of all) he is probably the better option as big back backup and more dependable. On Thursday he was among the few looking like full-grown NFL players IMO . plus of course he is a core ST player for several years and with Mingo gone, Slater ? etc. he might be pretty valuable there.

As for the argument in the above quotation that BB would keep another more promising player over Bolden even if Gillislee is out for a bit . I really have my reservations. As I can recall it is usually the other way around. I don't think a promising player is a commodity BB worries about too much. He did keep Foster on the roster last season but could be more on account of Lewis' dependability than Foster's promise. After all, promise is so easily shattered in this sport..
____
____

I added a poll to see how this board feels about bubble Bolden's chances this year

For possible reevaluations I suggest these two articles:
Something to be said for Brandon Bolden’s Patriots longevity
Belichick on Bolden: 'Skill set is really, really good'

And here full history on Bolden in short news 2012-2017 (just press newer)
Recent news on Brandon Bolden - New England Patriots - Rotoworld.com

____

it was a fun travel down the Bolden bubbly lane .. here some quotes:

2012 . Aug 22
Patriots undrafted rookie RB Brandon Bolden remains on the roster bubble.
Bolden muffed a punt on Monday night and has just 37 yards on 15 carries (2.46 YPC) through two preseason games. Early-camp comparisons to BenJarvus Green-Ellis have proven to be overstated. Bolden is well behind Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead.

2013 . Aug 10, Aug 22
The Boston Globe believes second-year RB Brandon Bolden "should be worried about his job" after LeGarrette Blount's big preseason opener.

Patriots RB Brandon Bolden rushed once for six yards, caught a pass and lost five yards, and lost a fumble in Thursday night's third exhibition game against the Lions.
A very rough night for Bolden, who like Zach Sudfeld and Shane Vereen was benched immediately after giving the ball to the opponent. Bolden is in a direct competition with LeGarrette Blount for a roster spot, so he really can't afford miscues like this. Bill Belichick famously detests fumblers. Through three preseason contests, Bolden has 58 yards on 11 carries (5.27 YPC) and two catches.

2014 . Jul 22
Boston Globe's Erik Frenz does not believe Patriots RB Brandon Bolden will make the team.

2015. Aug 28
Brandon Bolden gained 12 yards on five carries in the Patriots' third preseason game.
More than the pedestrian stats, it was notable that Bolden worked as the primary passing-down back with the Tom Brady group.

2016 . Aug 21
Ben Volin of the Boston Globe believes Brandon Bolden is "in danger" of losing his roster spot to Tyler Gaffney.

Last edited:
I can't wrap my head around the dynamics of this roster spot, but I think it has little to do with the RB position.

People list Slater/Mingo as losses on special teams and while that may be true I'm not sure what position or job Brandon Bolden plays on special teams and who else is competing for his spots. Who would replace Bolden's special team's assignments, if he were cut and is there a large dropoff in production?

The answer to this question provides the best clue to Bolden's fate.

The Patriots added two players (Rex Burkhead, Mike Gillislee) at running back. In addition the Pats have Dion Lewis to begin the season (he did not join the roster in 2016 until mid-November). The only loss at RB was LeGarrette Blount.

That's a net addition of two RBs to start the season.

Options:
- One or more from that group starts the season on IR.
- One or more from that group is cut or traded.
- One from last year's roster (Bolden) is cut or traded.
- Keep an additional RB.

If the Patriots are to increase the number of running backs on the roster in 2017, then which position has one less roster spot.

Barring the unforeseen injury, I am having difficulty in making a case for Bolden to be with the team when the season kicks off in week one. It's certainly possible, but I don't see it as the most likely scenario.

The Patriots added two players (Rex Burkhead, Mike Gillislee) at running back. In addition the Pats have Dion Lewis to begin the season (he did not join the roster in 2016 until mid-November). The only loss at RB was LeGarrette Blount.

That's a net addition of two RBs to start the season.

Options:
- One or more from that group starts the season on IR.
- One or more from that group is cut or traded.
- One from last year's roster (Bolden) is cut or traded.
- Keep an additional RB.

If the Patriots are to increase the number of running backs on the roster in 2017, then which position has one less roster spot.

Barring the unforeseen injury, I am having difficulty in making a case for Bolden to be with the team when the season kicks off in week one. It's certainly possible, but I don't see it as the most likely scenario.

After Lewis came back to the roster last year, the Pats had:
Blount, White, Lewis, Foster (+ Bolden)

They could go into 2017 with:
Gillislee, White, Lewis, Burkhead (+ Bolden)

And I'm saying this as a big Foster fan.

It's a tough call. He played well last week and is a core special teamer.

I haven't seen Gillislee or Burkhead play a single down yet.

I voted yes but that's a 51% yes.

I do know this. He's going to play his ass off during the next couple of weeks.

I don't even think of Bolden competing for RB. He's more of a backup for RB like Ebner is a backup for Safety and Slater is a backup for WR.

Bolden will make the roster.

The counter argument to that is that Burkhead is reportedly also a solid special teams guy.

People gotta stop putting no as the top option lol. Should be a bannable offense ;). And I don't think he's on the roster opening day.

I think that the decision is close. Bolden is a top STer, and Belichick keeps more than any poster would keep.

The offensive half of the roster is going to look something like this:

(3) QB -- Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett
(8) OL -- Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon, Garcia, Karras, [plus one other such as Fleming]
(3) TE -- Gronkowski, Allen, [plus one of Hollister, O'Shaughnessy, Lengel]
(1) FB -- Develin
(4) RB -- White, Burkhead, Gillislee, Lewis
(6) WR -- Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola, Slater

That's 25. Add another 25 on defense, the K, P and LS and you have your 53.

Barring unforeseen injury, who do you remove in order to make room for Bolden?

IMO if one player is the key to Bolden's chances, it's not Gillislee but O'Shaughnessy. If he makes the roster as the 3rd TE, he seems like a strong candidate to take over Bolden's ST role.

Besides special teams, isn't Bolden very good when it comes to blitz pick-ups?

IMO if one player is the key to Bolden's chances, it's not Gillislee but O'Shaughnessy. If he makes the roster as the 3rd TE, he seems like a strong candidate to take over Bolden's ST role.
Do they perform the same responsibilities, though? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. I've been looking for some clarity regarding some of these ST only players all summer. Without footage of the all 22, there's only so much that can be seen on regular broadcasts.

I had taken your potential TE3 as more of a wedge blocker, handling the roles of a larger, stronger man. Would I be incorrect in that assumption?

Besides special teams, isn't Bolden very good when it comes to blitz pick-ups?
Without meaning to spread bad information, I thought that Bolden had taken some of the personal punt protector duties, at times, although I haven't been able to confirm.

We know that he's very physical on the two ST punt teams, and I do believe that you're correct in stating that he's effective at picking up blitzes, at least better than average.

I've got two words for you... Rex Burkhead

Found this ...

Love Letter from Bill Belichick to Brandon Bolden

{edit} and this ...

Bill Belichick on Brandon Bolden: 'You can always count on him'

Consistency, versatility, can come in cold and still perform. I think this all adds up to a guy BB wants on his roster.
We've seen this before in terms of Belichick wanting to keep guys that fans don't agree with. They seem to fly under the radar, but BB feels that their presence is important in terms of building a championship caliber roster.

We'll finally know one way or another how Belichick views Bolden, particularly with the improved competition and precious number of available spots. Is he a ST core player like some of us think? Or is he a guy who has simply been "good enough" to stay this long, but can be replaced with a similar player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes