PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does 1st round pick Sony Michel play like a jag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reads like a tattered white flag waving in the wind. I’ll let you off. Your non-answer answer and the fact that you’ve backtracked your OP speaks volumes. Have a good night.
If having a colorful posting personae and a smug attitude in place of actual facts and data worked in a debate you would be a winner. I haven't moved off my take or back tracked.

You guys hemming and hawing about who Bill drafted has happened since Al Gore invented the interwebs.

Patriots suck, everyone else great...on their way to a 4 win season.

Yeah my patience with Sony has the needle almost at E now. It's time to show us what he can do if he wants to stick around.
Make sure BB knows this. He obviously can use the help

Can’t play if your number’s not called!
He got stuffed for negative yardage, Rex didn't fare any better than Sony or the little guy.

That happens when Seattle plunks over 1000 pounds of DT in the middle of their defense and dares them to pass. If Cam can show he can pass early and often teams won't be able to do that.

Last edited:
Thing with Sony, I like him and his attitude, and he's not a bad player. He was just pretty bad value as a first round draft pick. They must have thought he'd be so much more than he's been.
One would have to think and hope that. That NEP thought he'd come in and be that chess piece to expose teams in the rec game. Beat up DB's and out run backers. Someone who could pick up tough yards, run hard, be that 18-20 "touch" guy in the backfield. Idk that's what I thought we were getting. I mean I know we have a history of drafting teammates but Wynn/Sony looked/seemed like two very specific, win-now picks to add more athleticism into the offense.

Again he's a mystery, at least to me. Just not the same player, at all. Honestly tough to explain and put into words.

And yea like you said it's all about value. So much of the draft is knowing when value & need meet but value is so key.

Round one in general should be QB-OL/DL-DB imo. Top 10 only QB or a freak like Mario Williams, Garrett, Ogden ... I could even take a bunch of picks over them depending on my team.

I also think people should care bc you have to hit on you're early picks. For a number of reasons.

You need cheap, talented players. A QB on a rookie deal is the best cheat code there is. You need youth.

You need talent everywhere. Weak groups just get exploited over & over. You have keep that quality of player through the years. NFL doesn't wait on guys for the most part. You're lucky to get focus and attention of a staff for 2-3 years, very lucky. You need guys that are ready to roll day one. Or very able to contribute big time.

Early picks are almost always made-in large part, by the big shots. You obviously want that trust, knowing the head guys know what they're doing. Everyone needs good scouts but those early picks tell you a lot about who's in charge and what they're thinking.

Lastly to those who say he shouldn't have been picked there. I definitely get where you're coming from. I had a second on both Harry/Sony but I'm come to learn-from reading and talking with former scouts. A player was usually always going to go around where he was taken. I literally just read a book saying something like that a few weeks ago. There are just shots from left field but usually that prospect is going right around where he was taken. I'd bet Harry/Sony are top 40 picks by someone else if not us. We obviously didn't think they make it to our RD2 pick.

Nick Chubb was always, is now, and will forever be >>> Soreknee.

Period.

End.

Of.

Story.

Last edited:
But but but we don't know that a better running back would succeed in a better system with better coaching!!
And a much better offensive line. But hE wAs GoOd iN pAsS pRo iN cOlLeGe.

Coach Bill is 100% OK with having a "feature" back who can't/won't catch the ball out of the backfield. I honestly think that skill set is low on Coach Bill's priorities for running backs. Look at these #s for receptions for the Pats "feature back" from past seasons...2010 BJE 12 catches, 2011 BJE 11 catches, 2012 Ridley 6 catches, 2013 Ridley 10 catches, 2014 Ridley 4 catches, 2015 Blount 6 catches, 2016 Blount 7 catches. In 2017 Dion Lewis had the most carries and also had 32 catches. In 18 we had Michel with 7 catches. Lewis is a big time anomaly in Coach Bill's offense. I also was industrious enough to look at the chance that maybe it's not a Coach Bill thing; perhaps it's a Skippy McDaniels thing...nope in 09 in Denver Knowshown Moreno had alot of catches and in 2011 in STL as OC Stephen Jackson had a bunch of catches (I don't remember the #, but they both far eclipsed any recent Pats rb).
I bring this up because some use the "HE DOESN'T CATCH THE BALL! " argument when saying Michel sucks. I agree he kind of does blow, but not because he doesn't catch the ball. Michel's career long rush is 34 yards, so he's certainly not a "home run hitter" - but when have the Pats had a guy like that under Coach Bill? I am firmly now in the camp that Michel does exactly what Coach Bill wants him to do - go forward, don't lose yards, and don't fumble. For comparison, Ridley fumbled 9 times in 555 carries (1/61 carries) and Michel has fumbled 3 times in 473 carries (1/157 carries). So unless Michel starts fumbling or gets hurt, we'll have 14 more games of Michel and his schitty 3.7 yards/carry with a long of 7 yards every game...

Coach Bill is 100% OK with having a "feature" back who can't/won't catch the ball out of the backfield. I honestly think that skill set is low on Coach Bill's priorities for running backs. Look at these #s for receptions for the Pats "feature back" from past seasons...2010 BJE 12 catches, 2011 BJE 11 catches, 2012 Ridley 6 catches, 2013 Ridley 10 catches, 2014 Ridley 4 catches, 2015 Blount 6 catches, 2016 Blount 7 catches. In 2017 Dion Lewis had the most carries and also had 32 catches. In 18 we had Michel with 7 catches. Lewis is a big time anomaly in Coach Bill's offense. I also was industrious enough to look at the chance that maybe it's not a Coach Bill thing; perhaps it's a Skippy McDaniels thing...nope in 09 in Denver Knowshown Moreno had alot of catches and in 2011 in STL as OC Stephen Jackson had a bunch of catches (I don't remember the #, but they both far eclipsed any recent Pats rb).
I bring this up because some use the "HE DOESN'T CATCH THE BALL! " argument when saying Michel sucks. I agree he kind of does blow, but not because he doesn't catch the ball. Michel's career long rush is 34 yards. I am firmly now in the camp that Michel does exactly what Coach Bill wants him to do - go forward, don't lose yards, and don't fumble. For comparison, Ridley fumbled 9 times in 555 carries (1/61 carries) and Michel has fumbled 3 times in 473 carries (1/157 carries). So unless Michel starts fumbling or gets hurt, we'll have 14 more games of Michel and his schitty 3.7 yards/carry with a long of 7 yards every game...
The RB's you mentioned above should be expected to do it all. BJE was undrafted, Ridley was a third rounder, Blount was traded for a guy who never played a snap in the league as far as I recall, and Dion Lewis was signed to a futures contract. He basically gives us what scrapheap players give us except we wasted a first round pick on him. I am really hoping Harris comes back and pushes him down the depth chart.

Coming out of Georgia, I was expecting Sony PlayStation...but ended up with Atari :maybenot:
I respect what Sony accomplished in 2018, but that ship has sailed. We need someone to be proficient NOW in 2020.

The RB's you mentioned above should be expected to do it all. BJE was undrafted, Ridley was a third rounder, Blount was traded for a guy who never played a snap in the league as far as I recall, and Dion Lewis was signed to a futures contract. He basically gives us what scrapheap players give us except we wasted a first round pick on him. I am really hoping Harris comes back and pushes him down the depth chart.
These guys were all Coach Bills pick for "feature" back, regardless if they were a first rounder or mid season trade ..

Because NE cant draft a RB

White, Faulk, Cunningham, Martin, Vereen, Stephens are not good drafted RBs? If you want to say BB (vs the Patriots) cant draft RBs...I think if you said he cant draft "lead" backs (four down, 20+ carries p/game every game) backs - okay, but that hasn't been their draft approach with them placing value on receiving and blitz pickup. He's certainly SIGNED lead backs. Dillon and Dion Lewis for example.

Joe Mixon is learning that the longer he stays on the Bengals, he's about as talented a RB you'll find in the NFL and being a Bengal is wearing him down to a nub.

Curse of the Bengal-bino? (Dillon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back