PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does 1st round pick Sony Michel play like a jag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because NE cant draft a RB or WR.

This season is so far so good on Harry, but Im going to take a wait and see approach.
This. We just wiff on skill guys. I like Sony but he seems pretty shot. No burst, no elusiveness. There is a reason we were trying to sign Fournette who was beastly on Sunday vs Carolina.

I don't think anyone's going to make the argument that Sony is a great back. We appreciate what he contributed to the Super Bowl run, but he hasn't shown a lot since then (though the second half of last year was much better than the first). I suppose my question is -- does it matter? He won't be Barkley or Chubb, but he's a solid contributor who at times looks like he's on the verge of becoming more. Is he disappointing for a first rounder? Yeah, I think we can all admit that if we're honest. But is it enough to win? I think the answer is also yes. Perhaps that's all that really matters in the end, given our stable of backs.
This kinda sounds like a "I'm upset by his fantasy numbers" post because as you suggest Michel has already contributed more to his team by being a core player in a Super Bowl run than have Barkley or Chubb.
Thing with Sony, I like him and his attitude, and he's not a bad player. He was just pretty bad value as a first round draft pick. They must have thought he'd be so much more than he's been.
I don't mind - even with the knowledge now - taking Sony ahead of Nick Chubb. But I personally think that you should never draft a RB in the 1st unless you are talking about a potential transcendent talent. I was pretty stunned they took Michel in the 1st back during the 2018 draft.
Ok, he was drafted 32nd. If he was drafted 33rd would you have a better take on him?
No Nick Chubb comparisons or comments?? How I miss those never ending arguments... or how BB does not know how to build teams.
Meanwhile, our team still has a large percentage of its roster comprised of people drafted by our team. It shows a lot of the talent does end up staying.

The Seahawks played NT Jarran Reed (86% defensive snaps, 310 lbs), Bryan Mone (36%, 366 lbs) and Poona Ford (58%, 310 lbs) max snaps on Sunday night. Prior to this game the Seahawks added NT Anthony Rush to their roster, he is listed at 6'5" 350 pounds and he played 21% of the defensive snaps.

They clearly knew the Patriots were intent on rushing the ball and possibly couldn't do anything but. They were prepared to stop the power run game, this also has to be considered in discussing Sony. They went all in on stopping the run and dared New England to beat them with the pass.

Unfortunately the Patriots didn't force the issue to pass until the situation was desperate. There's clearly a mistrust to place the ball in Cam's hands and let him air it out, at least until there's obviously no other choice. After his bad INT and because of his entire body of work, it's justified. He doesn't consistently throw an accurate ball, he is lazy with his footwork or thinks he's Superman so he doesn't have to set his feet and step into it... he's been this way his entire career.

New England didn't pass, even after Seattle lost two starting corners to injury and penalty, and when they did... Cam threw an interception. When things got desperate and the Pats initiated the two minute offense Cam was solid. You can't have desperation as the only motivator in the passing game. There has to be trust and a built in motivation early, Tom always played better when he was angry or under pressure... how is Cam any different? Cam wasn't a 6th round pick, he needs to play angry.

Collinsworth mentioned in-game the Pats were working with Cam on consistently setting himself and throwing. This is a career malady for Cam. No QB is so good or so strong that they can make lazy passes. Look at this pass below, throwing off his back foot, not stepping into a pass, this after telegraphing where it's going and throwing across the field. Can't do all of these things, it's a sure fail.

Any defense worth a damn, that has the personnel can stop the run if they apply themselves. When this happens, and it generally happens in the playoffs, the opponent has to be able to beat them passing from the pocket. New England has to prove they can do this consistently before opponents will respect the pass, until then they will sell out to stop the run. Cam has to get better, Josh has to call a better game and pass more early to open up the run, they need to use screens more and gadget plays. I assume Cam will learn the offense more and Josh will learn what he can do better as the season progresses, they looked great passing in the 2 minute drill when the pressure was on, they should consider using it more early.

Sony Micheal won us a main factor in winning a suprebowl. to me, a fan that goes back to the bad old days that spending a first rounder on him is fine. I'd trade a 1st rnder for a SB any day. As for the constant 'we should have taken chubb get over it . It is what it is.

Last edited:
The fact that people still defend this guy is mind boggling. The notion that he "won us a super bowl" is asinine. Did he play well? Yes. Could a multitude of other average running backs play well behind that offensive line and TE group? Yes. He isn't any better than guys we have found on the scrap heap, the Lagarrette Blount's and BenJarvus Green-Elllis's of the world. He has gotten worse each year now at this point and any hopes of him becoming a receiving threat are out the window as far as I am concerned. If he was a 4th round pick I would say yeah he isn't great but we didn't spend much to acquire him but he is a first round pick. He isn't special in anyway and he is a bust. No way around it.

The fact that people still defend this guy is mind boggling. The notion that he "won us a super bowl" is asinine. Did he play well? Yes. Could a multitude of other average running backs play well behind that offensive line and TE group? Yes. He isn't any better than guys we have found on the scrap heap, the Lagarrette Blount's and BenJarvus Green-Elllis's of the world. He has gotten worse each year now at this point and any hopes of him becoming a receiving threat are out the window as far as I am concerned. If he was a 4th round pick I would say yeah he isn't great but we didn't spend much to acquire him but he is a first round pick. He isn't special in anyway and he is a bust. No way around it.

I don't know if "bust" is an appropriate word for a player who's been serviceable for contending teams, but he falls somewhere between Maroney and Blount in terms of effectiveness and that's not what you want to say about a 1st round RB.

Does anyone else think that the Patriot way is not working for Sony Michel?

I remember reading that the Patriots wanted Michel to run north and south, opposed to his lateral movements during runs in college.
This reminded me of Bill Parcels talking about Curtis Martin during camp. his rookie year.

I remember Parcels saying that Martin was struggling in camp with the directions he was given, and one day Parcels asked Martin if coaching was part of the problem.
Parcels then allowed Martin to run instinctive, apposed to north and south and it made a huge difference in Curtis Martin's on field performance. I can still picture
Martin's 75 yard run against the Steelers in the fog during the playoffs.

Maybe we should have just let Sony play like Sony at Georgia because the Sony who is currently playing for the Patriots is not worth executing his 5th year option next year.
its not his fault he was drafted in the first round. He is what he is and don't think he was even the best RB on his college team. 1st rd seemed like a reach but what do i know

I don't know if "bust" is an appropriate word for a player who's been serviceable for contending teams, but he falls somewhere between Maroney and Blount in terms of effectiveness and that's not what you want to say about a 1st round RB.
The way I look at it is a first rounder in theory should be at least a borderline pro bowler within their first few years. Second and third rounder you're hoping for an eventual starter. Fourth through seventh rounders are role players, special teamers, and fliers. Maybe my standards for draft picks are higher than others but I consider him even worse than Malcolm Brown. I considered Brown a bust but he was at least a serviceable starter while I feel like Sony really isn't even serviceable anymore.

Ok, he was drafted 32nd. If he was drafted 33rd would you have a better take on him?

I agree mostly except for the bust label. Knowing what we know now, he'd have been an ho-hum-ok pickup about 33 picks later.

Sony gets paid 1.6 million and 1.8 million over this and the following season, he has been a starter since his rookie season. Who cares where he got drafted, you draft players because you can get talented players for cheap.

Sony was drafted because he could play immediately and a team with a 41 year old QB couldn't wait for him to develop into a pass blocker. RB's do more than run, especially in this offense.

The first thing Caesario said in his post draft comments as to why the Pats decided to use the first pick on Sony was his knowledge of complex pass blocking schemes. This doesn't move the needle on your fantasy team, but in the real world it has actual consequences... sometimes ugly ones.

Nick Chubb was a poor pass protector in college, when your QB is 40+ years old and you need a starting RB to play right away, you take the guy that's pro ready... that's ready to contribute to a contender immediately.

This isn't Madden Football, this isn't fantasy football, it's real life football.

RB's do more than run, in fact that's probably the last thing you judge them on, they can all run assuming good blocking or else they wouldn't be in the NFL.

No, still too early for an RB. He was drafted 31 by the way. Lamar Jackson went 32.

I also don't think he's 100% healthy yet either, which might explain his limited workload so far.

He came to the Pats with a knee issue and I wasn't expecting a long career from him.

Wtf is the Patriot Way? Is it the name of the road next to Patriot Place?

As far as the player, likely headed the way of Malcolm Mitchell.

I remember Kraft talking up Patriot Place before it was built. He acted like it was going to be the 8th Wonder of the World. It ended up being a mall next to a stadium.

The first thing Caesario said in his post draft comments as to why the Pats decided to use the first pick on Sony was his knowledge of complex pass blocking schemes. This doesn't move the needle on your fantasy team, but in the real world it has actual consequences... sometimes ugly ones.

Nick Chubb was a poor pass protector in college, when your QB is 40+ years old and you need a starting RB to play right away, you take the guy that's pro ready... that's ready to contribute to a contender immediately.

This isn't Madden Football, this isn't fantasy football, it's real life football.

RB's do more than run, in fact that's probably the last thing you judge them on, they can all run assuming good blocking or else they wouldn't be in the NFL.

You mean to to tell me Caesario knows more than the resident experts here? Not sure if I buy that,

The average shelf life of a NFL player is 3.3 years...

I see that number all the time but I think it's deceptive in a discussion about injuries. The NYFL picks up hundreds of new players each year and they replace hundreds of other short-term players. That probably drives the number down quite a bit. Looking at the Pats they have plenty of players with longevity.

See, this is where you lose me Triumph

WR, yeah, i can give it to you, I even agree to a certain point

But we NEVER had RB problems. And much of it goes in hand with excellent drafting... Ridley, Vareen, White and many other who composed our stable overt the years were guys that were at least decent and Drafted.

I know that our main backs are usually pieces that we scout from outside, but we never have been a 1-RB kind of team and never will... Plus, Overall, Michel did give us one decent season and one bad season as the main RB (regular season only)

Even during Brady's final years (including SB runs), havent we always got one of the best Rushing offenses in at least most of those? (top 10 or something)?.

Sorry for the long text, i know you werent being specific at any player either

I can answer in more depth later but the gist of the matter is that White only has slightly more than 1100 total rushing yards in his 7th season.

Ridley had 1 season where he blew up with over 1100 rushing yards and 7 TDs. From that point it was basically down hill until he was let go. Vereen replaced Kevin Faulk. Both were nice 3rd down options and change of pace RBS, but I would not classify them as a primary RB.

NE can absolutely find role players at RB, but not featured RBs. Dillion remains the best RB that I have seen in the BB era.

I can answer in more depth later but the gist of the matter is that White only has slightly more than 1100 total rushing yards in his 7th season.

Ridley had 1 season where he blew up with over 1100 rushing yards and 7 TDs. From that point it was basically down hill until he was let go. Vereen replaced Kevin Faulk. Both were nice 3rd down options and change of pace RBS, but I would not classify them as a primary RB.

NE can absolutely find role players at RB, but not featured RBs. Dillion remains the best RB that I have seen in the BB era.

White is our Kevin Faulk. He's not a 3-down back but he's elite at what he does, 3rd down and pass catching RB. Also when we need to come back down 25 points.

Michel will be like Ridley, just slowly fade and then released.

This would make more sense if they actually used Sony as a blocker in obvious passing situations in 2018. They didn’t. It was exclusively White on the field on 3rd Diana and in those situations. They tried it with Michel in early 2019 before scrapping that plan altogether because they obviously didn’t like what they saw. Unless you can show me a chart or film review where he was in the game during those situations, you’re reaching here in an attempt to excuse a bad pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots