PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does 1st round pick Sony Michel play like a jag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf is the Patriot Way? Is it the name of the road next to Patriot Place?

As far as the player, likely headed the way of Malcolm Mitchell.

Wtf is the Patriot Way? Is it the name of the road next to Patriot Place?

As far as the player, likely headed the way of Malcolm Mitchell.

He's headed down the Stevan Ridley highway.

At the time I thought he was the better pick over Chubb, especially for our offense.
Chubb was the better back, but I get why Michel was taken over Chubb due to his potential in the passing game. The irony is that Chubb has more than twice as many receiving yards as Michel.
I read about an advanced metric on him once, which measured I think it was the expected yards on each carry according to how the blocking developed. He graded out as the definition of a guy that will get what's there and no more. I'd link it but can't remember where I saw it.
Probably from PFF which I have posted in the past. They pretty much say his 2018 playoff run was overrated due to how massive the holes were.
He couldn’t even if they were there.
His first run of the night against SEA had a nice hole, but he was too slow to get through and got tackled for a very minimal gain.

Honestly, because he is. No knock on him. We just need him to be healthy & do his job.

Honestly, because he is. No knock on him. We just need him to be healthy & do his job.

Yeah it's not like he's terrible or anything, just not one of the 20 best backs in the league.

He's headed down the Stevan Ridley highway.
That's giving Michel way too much credit. Ridley was actually pretty good before his ACL tear aside from poor ball security. Michel sucks.

We really missed White out there TBH. But also the Seahawks are a good run stuffing D, and the Phins tried to rebuild to improve their abilities as run stoppers. I think history will probe that both are above average teams against the run and that Michel's gonna do better on average

That's giving Michel way too much credit. Ridley was actually pretty good before his ACL tear aside from poor ball security.

So in other words, Ridley wasn't very good.

He’s probably never going to be 100% healthy if that knee is bone-on-bone. I appreciate what he did for the team in the 2018 run, but I’m not expecting much from him anymore.
I feel like the foot thing is probably going to linger...that seems to nag a lot of guys. He's been fortunate to this point where he hasn't seemed like the knee has been the issue but he definitely hasn't looked like himself yet this season. Although, you're right, who knows if his knee problems will eventually catch up with him.

I feel like the foot thing is probably going to linger...that seems to nag a lot of guys. He's been fortunate to this point where he hasn't seemed like the knee has been the issue but he definitely hasn't looked like himself yet this season. Although, you're right, who knows if his knee problems will eventually catch up with him.

Sounds like Maroney Road now, though that was a shoulder if I recall correctly

Reactions: Ian
I never seen a Pats "feature back" get run down by linebackers more than Sony Michel these last 2 seasons. I don't even remember the corpse of Terry Allen back in 98 or 99 getting run down like Michel does
Look it up, 2019 Sony Michel is the exact same as the broken down Terry Allen on the Pats...#s are eerily similar

So in other words, Ridley wasn't very good.
No it means he had reasonably good skills as a runner but a deficiency in his game. He ran for 1200 yards for us one season and averaged 5.1, 4.4, 4.3 ypc in consecutive seasons. Then his ACL happened and his career was over. Sony Michel has no skills.

Does anyone else think that the Patriot way is not working for Sony Michel?

I remember reading that the Patriots wanted Michel to run north and south, opposed to his lateral movements during runs in college.
This reminded me of Bill Parcels talking about Curtis Martin during camp. his rookie year.

I remember Parcels saying that Martin was struggling in camp with the directions he was given, and one day Parcels asked Martin if coaching was part of the problem.
Parcels then allowed Martin to run instinctive, apposed to north and south and it made a huge difference in Curtis Martin's on field performance. I can still picture
Martin's 75 yard run against the Steelers in the fog during the playoffs.

Maybe we should have just let Sony play like Sony at Georgia because the Sony who is currently playing for the Patriots is not worth executing his 5th year option next year.

Rb's can be soul-crushing. Even in a pass-happy league, a great running back is just fun to watch. Not sure if Sony is there, yet.

For me, Ron Dayne was the biggest disappointment. As a fan of Earl Campbell back in the day, I really looked forward to seeing that type of back in the league again. Wow, just wow, what a failure.

Sony, to me, is Maroney. Flashes of what can and should be - but no consistency. Maybe you're right, the coaches can take some pressure off by letting him run his way. Can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down