PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why didn't Belichick light up his Benjamins on fire like that when Brady was here?

Patriots were close to cap every single year and Belichick surrounded Brady with players that allowed the team to compete for the SB every single year. I'm gonna assume you're 6 years old.

I agree. Brady only played with scrubs because we sucked in the drafts. Can't find everyone in Free Agency.

Its more fair to blame Bills poor drafting for the state of the team in 2019 than not spending on FA's that they didn't have the cap space

When guys get priced out or too old, you replace them through the draft. Bill did a horrible job of that. as guys like Hogan/Amendola left he never adequately replaced them. Same with Gronkowski (Although the way Gronk retired put the patriots in a situation where Free agency was over). So the young talent that was supposed to "replace" the older guys never materialized and the money came due with kicking the cap down the road leaving the patriots with a poor roster in 2020

imagine patriots drafted Chubb and then DK metcalf. you may be looking at a totally different 2019 and outcome with brady.

while Metcalf is clearly better than Harry, Brady didn’t want rookies. He wanted vets. He was very clear about that. Metcalf wouldn’t have swayed Brady at all.

People forget that 2019 Brady at one point had Edelman, Antonio Brown, Gordon and Harry who was a first round pick at WR. Sure it went tits up but that's not a bad WR corps if it hadn't

People forget that 2019 Brady at one point had Edelman, Antonio Brown, Gordon and Harry who was a first round pick at WR. Sure it went tits up but that's not a bad WR corps if it hadn't
Pre-season up to AB signing, we were totally GIDDY with all the pass-catching potential in 2019.

Hats off to anyone who feels they have the definitive key to Brady logic in moving on; we were at risk from day 1 by 2020. After 20 years, you don't look to hang a guy for what went wrong in a relationship, when the world record is oh I dunno, about 20 years.

Brady redefined, and continues to redefine, the word "outlier," and BB is probably the only coach in NFL history who's being called a fool for mitigating downside risk in a player who would be 43 years old. NE couldn't get past the cap bottleneck of '20 real comfortably AND give him top-notch weapons (after the above attempt in '19), and at a certain point, it looks like Brady was like "no I'm not taking your cap friendly deal, you Garopollo-drafting, AARP-hating, partial-credit-deserving-and-taking bastard."

And one more factor to throw in the blender: if he kept doing it in New England, it would never be his dynasty alone; it would be his and BB's. I'm dead serious that in the Brady narrative machine, he's just getting warmed up. Now he needs to have a Tampa Dynasty. Welp, Tom vs. Time, South, will continue... sad that the ride is over up North, but time to move on, right?

Funny how I get flamed here for this thread by people claiming we had playmakers all along and we made the playoffs every year.

The same people who *****ed and moaned here every year how Brady has no one to throw to, and he's playing with no names. Let me break you the news: we had as many playoff appearances credit to Brady much more than Belichick, or any playmakers he provided him with.

Interesting

For those asking about my age.... I'm 43, fan since age 6.

Pats making the playoffs was not because of any playmakers for the most part. It was primarily due to Brady, plain and simple. He gets taken out of the equation, and this team looks like pure dog5hit - WITH Belichick the 'mastermind' at the helm. Instead, Brady goes to Tampa, gets surrounded by some good players, and hits the jackpot one more time.

And for those who claim we haven't had this much cap space in years, you have to wonder why? Who manages that cap space? Why is our cap space always looks like 5hit? is it because the general manager does not know how to manage it properly? Belichick is no doubt a genius coach, but as a GM, he sucks *** - both in FA signing and especially in the draft - you can't deny it. And for those who claim he DID bring on some playmakers along the years, I'll answer back with: even a broken clock is right twice a day. So sure.... along the 2 decades we had Brady at QB, out of hundreds of players that came and left, sure, a few were playmakers. The rest of them were, well... scrubs.

Give me a f'n break.

Funny how I get flamed here for this thread by people claiming we had playmakers all along and we made the playoffs every year.

The same people who *****ed and moaned here every year how Brady has no one to throw to, and he's playing with no names. Let me break you the news: we had as many playoff appearances credit to Brady much more than Belichick, or any playmakers he provided him with.

Interesting

Pats making the playoffs was not because of any playmakers for the most part. It was primarily due to Brady, plain and simple. He gets taken out of the equation, and this team looks like pure dog5hit - WITH Belichick the 'mastermind' at the helm. Instead, Brady goes to Tampa, gets surrounded by some good players, and hits the jackpot one more time.

And for those who claim we haven't had this much cap space in years, you have to wonder why? Who manages that cap space? Why is our cap space always looks like 5hit? is it because the general manager does not know how to manage it properly? Belichick is no doubt a genius coach, but as a GM, he sucks *** - both in FA signing and especially in the draft - you can't deny it. And for those who claim he DID bring on some playmakers along the years, I'll answer back with: even a broken clock is right twice a day. So sure.... along the 2 decades we had Brady at QB, out of hundreds of players that came and left, sure, a few were playmakers. The rest of them were, well... scrubs.

Give me a f'n break.

Bill had a system in place and brady ran it as well as anyone could. I think the crappy drafting especially on the offensive side of the ball finally caught up to them. Brady probably wanted a new challenge and belichick wanted to love on. The microscope now is on bill. He knows he has to win. Don’t know if he has the QB though. Not a fan of cam newton.

Belichick is no doubt a genius coach, but as a GM, he sucks *** - both in FA signing and especially in the draft - you can't deny it
The Patriots just had the greatest 20 year run in the history of the NFL and BB is a horrible GM? I feel like I can deny it. He has certainly missed on too many draft picks of late but having this much cap space to rebuild after 1 down year did not happen by accident.

Danny talks out his fanny.

Interesting

Give me a f'n break.
BB drafted Brady and employed him for twenty years. Every team has a QB and usually only one starts, it's a small fraternity. It's still only one position on a team of 53, not including practice squads. Deshaun Watson went 4-12 last season... you think the gap in play between Watson and Brady was solely the reason Tampa was that much better than Houston? You think Tom has seven rings but Brees or Rogers only have one because Tom is that much better than the other two? Nonsense...

Tom played on the best teams, he was a large part of those teams but he also played on rosters with the best O-Lines, Defense and Special Teams and yes, even weapons.... Gronk was arguably the greatest TE in history when healthy, and BB drafted that guy. Hernandez never reached his potential, Edelman, Deion Branch and many more... these guys had talent.

We can play "what if" all we want. What if Tom was drafted by league worst Arizona instead, think he'd have a fistful of rings? What if he chose the Raiders last year instead of the Tampa All-Star team, do you think he could use his magic powers to raise their 31st ranked defense to olympian heights? Rubbish...

It's a team game, BB is the best team builder and coach in the NFL. He accepted 2020 as a reset year after years of pushing the salary cap down the road to win rings from 2014-2019... and he did. He did something no other team had done since 2001-2004, when Tom was playing under a cost controlled 6th round rookie contract. If one doesn't understand the finances of the NFL, then they'll never understand team building.

The Pats are in the position to spend like drunken sailors now because the team made the correct choice to part ways with Tom in 2020, it was the right choice for the player and the team. There was no financial path forward with Tom that resulted in more rings, and that's the goal.

Brady was 8-0 with them and 4-4 after they started dropping.

It's hard for some to admit the truth about their beloved teams/coaches/players when the bad times hit. Even when that truth is as obvious as it's been in New England. Even when that truth is about things that they might have acknowledged in better times. Year after year of not having a middle-deep threat? They could dismiss it with "Sure, but we win, so...", right up until the winning stopped.

Then things got real and, to no surprise, a lot of that crew couldn't accept the obvious.

It's hard for some to admit the truth about their beloved teams/coaches/players when the bad times hit. Even when that truth is as obvious as it's been in New England. Even when that truth is about things that they might have acknowledged in better times. Year after year of not having a middle-deep threat? They could dismiss it with "Sure, but we win, so...", right up until the winning stopped.

Then things got real and, to no surprise, a lot of that crew couldn't accept the obvious.
I think "that crew" defined the goal as winning, rather than as having what you'd consider a "middle-deep threat." So that's why they say another style of winning is also legitimate.

What exactly were "that crew" wrong about? They didn't root for a style of play that would make Brady stay another year or two or three? Because your complaint doesn't seem to be that they could not succeed. It's something other than success that you're apparently after here. You'll have to explain, if the problem is that we didn't have a "middle-deep threat" for years at a time, why we had a one-year window of 7-9 play, rather than years at a time that we could not compete.

"The truth about their beloved teams/coaches/players" is still being written, but I would think that the 19-year record of dominance, for "that crew," continues to outweigh a single year of barely sub-.500 play.

So what is "the truth"? You wanted better deep threat eye candy, not more rings? Or do you think that 2001-2019 , all in all, constitute a failure?

Or that "things got real" in 2020, and 2001-2019 never happened, except of course years when TFB had deep threats and was putting in his bid to rewrite single-year records?

Because I have as many rings as Randy Moss.

Interesting

Give me a f'n break.
Brady's the best player to ever play the game. Absolutely no disagreement. However, it's a team game. He's also a great force multiplier/motivator.... the pre-SB tweets story being the most recent example. yeahbut it's a team game.

You're getting carried away with the result of one year in which NE had no money to spend, vs Brady on a loaded roster. Once he got his bearings, in retrospect, the SB looks inevitable... but it was a near thing (getting there. I think Brady being Brady just blew away KC.)

But putting the dirt on NE's post-Brady coffin, to me, seems premature to say the least. The same situation got them 11 wins with Matt Cassel in 08. It was a dynasty down its franchise QB in what somebody here said is nonexistent (?) cap hell. Cap hell usually does the dynasty in, and the fall doesn't stop around .500. We're now suddenly positioned to compete again in 21. I'm as excited this year as I was skeptical last year.

Now, if they actually try to ride Cam gate to gate, I'll just say that would make me go "hmmm."

The other argument is the patriots HAD to load up in free agency this year because they had so many holes and were devoid of talent. Other years they were paying their own guys or had the talent.

I hope the OP does realize this is a once in a lifetime off-season opportunity. It was a coincidence that the Patriots planned to have a ton of cap space in the same year a pandemic hit and made the cap decrease $20million when it ALWAYS increases. and with alot of teams already over the cap, it depressed the competition and patriots were able to load up.

not to mention the TV deals coming where the cap could expand $20-40million or more in the next couple years and these deals may look like bargains.

BB assigned more resources to defense than offense because he knew Brady could succeed with less.

Brady is no longer around, therefore more resources need to be assigned. Not to mention the offense is more depleted this year than any other year.

My gripe is he could have remade a bunch of contract last year or year before and kept Brady around by pushing the cap hit to this year.
This is how I see it as well. Belichick knew that if they could keep teams in check defensively that Brady would help them win most games.

I can guarantee you that if Brady were to tell you his honest opinion, he'd say most years he had pedestrian skill players surrounding him and wished Bill would've put in a better effort. Just imagine if Gronk was never drafted in 2010. It could've been really bad.

I can guarantee you that if Brady were to tell you his honest opinion, he'd say most years he had pedestrian skill players surrounding him and wished Bill would've put in a better effort. Just imagine if Gronk was never drafted in 2010. It could've been really bad.
This is what it takes to discredit Bill, imagine if he hadn't drafted all his best players.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back