PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are people assuming Mac won’t run the scout team?

mike_usagisan

Staff member
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that we’ll keep Hoyer to run the scout team, as though Mac can’t or won’t. But one of his jobs while backing up Tua at Alabama was running the scout team, and apparently he was really good at it, forcing the starting defense to raise their game. I think if it’s Mac’s job to practice and learn, replicating other QBs and offenses and running them against the Patriots’ defense is a great way to hone his skills for when he becomes QB1.

I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that we’ll keep Hoyer to run the scout team, as though Mac can’t or won’t. But one of his jobs while backing up Tua at Alabama was running the scout team, and apparently he was really good at it, forcing the starting defense to raise their game. I think if it’s Mac’s job to practice and learn, replicating other QBs and offenses and running them against the Patriots’ defense is a great way to hone his skills for when he becomes QB1.
Perhaps I am confused. If Mac doesn't win the starting job what do you think he will do?

I think the idea is that you want him focused on learning the Patriots playbook, and not other teams.

Where was this assumption raised?

Who is saying that? it’s a great way to learn.

4B2DA61F-5642-4648-A532-9C2E386E206C.gif

He’s going to be too busy running the patriots offense. Newton can run the scout team.

Where was this assumption raised?
A lot of times when people are talking about possibly keeping Hoyer on the roster, they talk about him running the scout team. I wondered why they thought Mac wouldn’t or couldn’t run it if he wasn’t starting.

Getting reps against a what we hope will be a great defense is just what he needs. It was one of the ways he developed at Alabama. He'll get his 20 or 30% of the first team reps, but when he's not doing that, I WANT him getting reps any where he can.

I don't think he will run the scout team either. that is Hoyer's job. Jones will study the gameplan/ snaps along with Newton, so if an injury happens he is prepared to implement that game plan. Him mimicing what the opposing qb does is less helpful than getting practice snaps. Newton is not like Brady, Brady never wanted to give up a practice snap.

Because generally, the backup is learning the team's gameplan, not working someone else's.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back