PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's out/extended/sacrificed to fit AB's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sincerely, the grammar nuns

As if pretty much duplicating another post that I missed further down the feed wasn't shameful enough.

I am deeply and truly sorry.

If I had to make a guess, DT.

Thomas

The situation has obviously changed since Thomas was brought BACK to NE. That should tell you something right there that NE was not willing to risk Gunner or Meyers but they did expose Thomas.

Do you think that Gunner won't make the Practice Squad? After all, we just signed a punt returner who might be as good as he is, and can play other roles.

With regard to carrying Myers, I suppose that we could kick the can down the road until we need to decide whether to activate Harry, but 6 is really still too many.

As has been suggested, one solution is to extend Dorsett, and start the off-season with Edelman, Dorsett, Harry and whoever is on the Practice Squad. And yes, I would expect to re-sign one of Gordon (most likely), Brown or Thomas.

Brown, Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Thomas, Meyers and Olszweski is clearly too many receivers. Add in Harry in six weeks and it's downright absurd. Somebody ought to go...but I don't want to let go of any of them. Aside from concerns about continued availability this year, Brown, Gordon, Dorsett and Thomas are ALL on one-year deals. Giving up the inexpensive rookies could just leave the cupboard bare again at the end of the season.

At this point, with Harry still on IR, I'm inclined to keep them all and risk going thin elsewhere, cutting a player like Obi or LaCosse.

Brown, Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Thomas, Meyers and Olszweski is clearly too many receivers. Add in Harry in six weeks and it's downright absurd. Somebody ought to go...but I don't want to let go of any of them. Aside from concerns about continued availability this year, Brown, Gordon, Dorsett and Thomas are ALL on one-year deals. Giving up the inexpensive rookies could just leave the cupboard bare again at the end of the season.

At this point, with Harry still on IR, I'm inclined to keep them all and risk going thin elsewhere, cutting a player like Obi or LaCosse.
I think this is a year with extenuating circumstances which require the team to carry- including Gunner, 7 WRs.

What happens if Brown implodes? What happens if Josh relapses? Now we are down to 5. Dumping DT is a risk.

Keep Harry and Meredith on IR as long a possible if not the season. Meyers/Gunner/DT will all take turns being GD inactives. They will carry 2TEs

LaCosse to IR or someone on defense released like Melifonwu.

But that's more wanting to see a Edelman/AB/DT/Gordon 4 WR set at some point :p

Realistically, I'd guess it's DT that goes.

A) Gunner isn't relevant to the WR discussion. A backup punter just isn't worth a roster spot.

B) Uncle! I guess that keeping Meyers make sense until we know more about Gordon, Thomas, Brown and Harry. When Harry is ready to play, I would cut Meyers in a flash (pun intended).

I think this is a year with extenuating circumstances which require the team to carry- including Gunner, 7 WRs.

What happens if Brown implodes? What happens if Josh relapses? Now we are down to 5. Dumping DT is a risk.

Keep Harry and Meredith on IR as long a possible if not the season. Meyers/Gunner/DT will all take turns being GD inactives. They will carry 2TEs

I really don't think keeping Harry on IR over a hamstring just so we don't have to trade/cut two (1 for AB, 1 for Harry) out of Dorsett, DT, Gunner, Meyers is a great idea.

You want your first round rookie to develop so you can a) evaluate if your projection of him was right and b) that he can be a difference maker as soon as possible.

If Harry develops it changes the way the team would approach negotiations with Gordon or Brown. Hell, throw DT in there as well if he is still around.

A) Gunner isn't relevant to the WR discussion. A backup punter just isn't worth a roster spot.

B) Uncle! I guess that keeping Meyers make sense until we know more about Gordon, Thomas, Brown and Harry.
If we are lucky Gunner will never line up but if Brown and Josh both go bye-bye he's WR5 behind Jules, Dorsett, DT and Meyers.

Well, I never go out on a limb on these things... but I would say I seriously doubt it'll be DT. Just a gut feeling.

That said, I've already pre-planned my Saturday evening meal...

crow.jpg

Keep Harry and Meredith on IR as long a possible

Oh brother, I forgot about Meredith! :rolleyes: It's like somebody said "ah, the WR corps is dry, let's open the spigots!" then never turned them off.

Come mid-season, we'll be running 9-wide sets.

I really don't think keeping Harry on IR over a hamstring just so we don't have to trade/cut two (1 for AB, 1 for Harry) out of Dorsett, DT, Gunner, Meyers is a great idea.

You want your first round rookie to develop so you can a) evaluate if your projection of him was right and b) that he can be a difference maker as soon as possible.

If Harry develops it changes the way the team would approach negotiations with Gordon or Brown. Hell, throw DT in there as well if he is still around.
As I said in my post I think this year is a year of extenuating circumstances.

If we roll the way you are proposing then Meyers or DT will need to be released and I'm not sure that is is good risk management right now

Must say I don't really get the Brown move. As great as he is (assuming he's on his meds) I don't think he adds all that much value because of what's already on this year's roster and given the system. He could have been a much better difference maker on lots of other teams. Of course I'm interested to see how it all works out.

Oh brother, I forgot about Meredith! :rolleyes: It's like somebody said "ah, the WR corps is dry, let's open the spigots!" then never turned them off.

Come mid-season, we'll be running 9-wide sets.
Its crazy and I know keeping 7 WRs is dumb but this year is unlike any other.

We have 2 high-profile WRs who could be gone tomorrow.

With that said, you could say the same thing about any player who could suffer a season ending injury.

I think what I'm trying to say is hang on to good talent as long as possible.

We had absolutely no contribution from the TE position last night, so that's a no-brainer, I'd say. Izzo isn't even half the blocker Gronk was, and that showed up big time last night.

I'd be surprised if we cut a WR, because Gordon and AB are both firmly in the high reward/high risk category.

So, if TWO players are lost before Harry or Meredith are activated, we might need a 6th WR. Belts, and 2 sets of suspenders!

I am perfectly fine with THREE WR's active plus 5 WRs (all who are receivers) and Watson (and hopefully another TE)

Even in your scenario, I wouldn't have Gunner active. We need 3 WR's, especially when we have half a dozen other targets. A 4th is necessary as a backup. If there is clear need, a 5th inactive can make sense.

If we are lucky Gunner will never line up but if Brown and Josh both go bye-bye he's WR5 behind Jules, Dorsett, DT and Meyers.

I'll say this a thousand times if I have to. No receiver is going to be released who has to pass through waivers. Not Gunner, not Meyers.

Either someone goes to IR or a vested vet gets cut.

So, if TWO players are lost before Harry or Meredith are activated, we might need a 6th WR. Belts, and 2 sets of suspenders!

I am perfectly fine with THREE WR's active plus 5 WRs (all who are receivers) and Watson (and hopefully another TE)

Even in your scenario, I wouldn't have Gunner active. We need 3 WR's, especially when we have half a dozen other targets. A 4th is necessary as a backup. If there is clear need, a 5th inactive can make sense.
Gunner needs to PR. Unless BB throws JE back there which if they lost AB and Josh I'd prefer he stick to WR only

While carrying so many WRs this year makes little sense, if Meyers & Gunner, in Bill's eyes, have value 2 years down the road, when many/most ahead of them will be gone, I say he will keep them.

I am glad NE kept 4 QBs in 2000! And no, I am not stating that these guys are Canton-bound, I am just saying that BB will sacrifice depth now for future gain, if justified. Scrambling will be involved, I'm sure.

So, you do want to use a roster spot on a backup punt returner. I can also see the value in a DB/STer like Obi, in a 2nd TE, in a 3rd TE, in another OL or two.

Gunner needs to PR. Unless BB throws JE back there which if they lost AB and Josh I'd prefer he stick to WR only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes