PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be this year's Surprise Cut in Camp?

Thats the way it'll play out. They'll spare him the indecency of trading him for a 6th rounder.

He'll be given his unconditional release so he can hitch on with a new team of his choosing.
They couldn’t get a 6th rounder.
He may not have a choice, he hasn’t for the last 2 years.

They couldn’t get a 6th rounder.
He may not have a choice, he hasn’t for the last 2 years.
If another team has a QB injury they might get a 6th. Maybe...

Brandon the King...He has photos...It's the only explanation...
BB gives a long rope to players who have value and are great teammates.

King hasn't been healthy for 2 years. Hardly a shock if he doesn't make the team.

If another team has a QB injury they might get a 6th. Maybe...
I think it’s very debatable a team with a qb injury would pick him up if we released him. He’s evidently had zero interest from any other team for 2 years.

I think it’s very debatable a team with a qb injury would pick him up if we released him. He’s evidently had zero interest from any other team for 2 years.
Yea thats true. His market was non-existent.

I would hate to see it, but cutting Hightower would save almost ten million in dollars AND cap space.

Jakobi Meyers.

BB seemed reluctant to play him the past 2 years, despite his apparent production when playing. Then he basically brought in 4 free agents that could replace his production.

Do I really expect him to be cut... no. But that is exactly why it would be a surprise :p

While not exclusive nor correlating, here's the first day of camp "not present for media portion" list to peruse for any ideas on surprise cuts. Lots of LBs on the list to start the camp:

QB Jarrett Stidham
CB Stephon Gilmore
Special teams player Brandon King
TE Dalton Keene
LB Chase Winovich
RB Rhamondre Stevenson
LB Cameron McGrone
LB Anfernee Jennings
LB Terez Hall
S Joshuah Bledsoe
TE Devin Asiasi
DT Byron Cowart

Linebacker Kyle Van Noy was in attendance, but was wearing a red non-contact jersey. New England will kick off training camp by practicing Wednesday through Saturday, with the additional dates to be announced.

Not much of a surprise.

I’ll go with Winovich until I see him set the edge with any sort of consistency.

While not exclusive nor correlating, here's the first day of camp "not present for media portion" list to peruse for any ideas on surprise cuts. Lots of LBs on the list to start the camp:

QB Jarrett Stidham
CB Stephon Gilmore
Special teams player Brandon King
TE Dalton Keene
LB Chase Winovich
RB Rhamondre Stevenson
LB Cameron McGrone
LB Anfernee Jennings
LB Terez Hall
S Joshuah Bledsoe
TE Devin Asiasi
DT Byron Cowart

Linebacker Kyle Van Noy was in attendance, but was wearing a red non-contact jersey. New England will kick off training camp by practicing Wednesday through Saturday, with the additional dates to be announced.
So basically we have

A top 5 CB
A Quarterback with a worse int% than Nathan Peterman
2 second year TEs that are getting replaced by high priced FAs
An injury prone special teamer
A bunch of players I don't know
and Chase Winovich

Really the only cuts that would at all be a surprise are Gilmore and Winovich. And quite frankly Gilmore isn't getting cut, traded maybe, but not cut. Winovich wouldn't even be that much of surprise given the reports from last year.

Some on this board would have a meltdown. This screams Mike Pennel 2.0. Funny he goes on and plays somewhat on the Super Bowl winning Chiefs team. Remember how mad people got when some from the media said they felt he’d get cut?
I agree with the Davon Godchaux prediction, he simply isn't that good. He makes a lot of tackles, they usually come further downfield through hustle... when stopping them at the LOS should be his job. The Dolphins run defense got substantially better when he was replaced, they had all the money in the world to match any offer for him and didn't bother.

It's not a money issue either, most contracts only go into full effect when a player makes the team out of camp, if he gets fired he has to go earn money elsewhere. They might view him as more of an Adam Butler replacement who can pressure the QB, in which case they had better hold onto Carl Davis, or Christian Barmore had better be everything advertised. They need at least one DT who can play NT.

Cutting Pennel ended up being a mistake, especially after Bennett made a stink and pushed his way out of town. The Chiefs defensive front got markedly better when Pennel joined the team, which helped propel them to a championship. Big guys often enter camp fat, better to let the talented ones work it off and play, rather than punish them and watch run stops and pocket pressure suffer.

Not sure how many would qualify as a "surprise" but Jennings, Winovich, Cowert, Godchaux, Bentley (although less likely after McMillon went down),

Not sure how many would qualify as a "surprise" but Jennings, Winovich, Cowert, Godchaux, Bentley (although less likely after McMillon went down),
Why Winovich?

Hes played well.

James white. Love the guy. I think they go JJ and move on White.

At this point, that would be a HUGE surprise, given what BB said recently about White and how camp reports have been pretty middling on JJ thus far.

Why Winovich?

Hes played well.
I know he was in Bill's doghouse last year and there was the rumor he was a locker room lawyer. Now he has missed a bit of time as well. They also have drafted Uche in the second and signed Judon who both play a similar role to what Winovich is best at. I like his potential and don't want him gone and while I wouldn't necessarily put money on him being cut but I wouldn't be shocked at this point.

I know he was in Bill's doghouse last year and there was the rumor he was a locker room lawyer. Now he has missed a bit of time as well. They also have drafted Uche in the second and signed Judon who both play a similar role to what Winovich is best at. I like his potential and don't want him gone and while I wouldn't necessarily put money on him being cut but I wouldn't be shocked at this point.

Plus they re-signed Van Noy, who isn't purely an edge guy but certainly plays there a lot. It's potentially a crowded room for sure.

I think this could very well ba season where no trade/cut's is a real surprise. And I say that because, outside of some of the FAs and high draft picks, there's nobody else for whom getting cut would be a real surprise upon reflection. Some examples:

Hightower? Older player who is being highly paid, and is coming back after missing a full year.
Winovich? Underachieving pain in the coach's ass
Newton? Losing out to a rookie who plays a much different style of QB might be too much to keep him around
Brown? Historical motivation problems
Michel? May not be needed if the rookie shows out quickly
etc...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots