PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be this year's Surprise Cut in Camp?

At this point, that would be a HUGE surprise, given what BB said recently about White and how camp reports have been pretty middling on JJ thus far.
The game is to make a “big time cut” prediction. Saying JJ doesn’t make the team doesn’t seem to take into account the true spirit of this endeavour.

James White is one of my fav players of the last decade. I absolutely love everything about him. He is what is is : a leader / no nonsense keep your nose clean dude / personality+ / effort - everything you’d want !

But here are a few things to consider re White :
-while QB play was problematic, White had a down year
-he suffered unimaginable pain when his parents accident occurred so he missed time & it somewhat hid the fact his production was
-he’s making decent $ and he’s not as young as he once was at a position that is tough on the 30+ crowd
-there are decent options at RB and BB loves grabbing mid rounders each draft
-the RB position as a whole has been devalued in recent years and White has pretty much been a 3rd down back for his entire career (not that there’s anything wrong w that)

I could see BB trying to unload him for a future 6th or even 7th as it seems he likes doing that to vets he loves (instead of the release).

edit : BB bragging one day, releasing the other isn’t that uncommon. He loves bragging “anyone who plays in the league” and loves reminding people that they’re all tremendous athletes etc…

I know he was in Bill's doghouse last year and there was the rumor he was a locker room lawyer. Now he has missed a bit of time as well. They also have drafted Uche in the second and signed Judon who both play a similar role to what Winovich is best at. I like his potential and don't want him gone and while I wouldn't necessarily put money on him being cut but I wouldn't be shocked at this point.
He led the 2020 defense in sacks and QB hits. Plus, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble. 6 tackles for loss and the only person better was Phillips (7 TFL) and hes a Safety.

Wino seems like hes part of the solution, but stranger things have happened. The 3rd season is typically when you reap the benefits of draft picks, but the Pats waste draft picks like there is no tomorrow. What a 5hit show of a Pats 2019 draft if Wino gets cut. Harry and Stidman are busts. Assuming that he gets healthy Wino will not last long without a team.

The game is to make a “big time cut” prediction. Saying JJ doesn’t make the team doesn’t seem to take into account the true spirit of this endeavour.

James White is one of my fav players of the last decade. I absolutely love everything about him. He is what is is : a leader / no nonsense keep your nose clean dude / personality+ / effort - everything you’d want !

-he suffered unimaginable pain when his parents accident occurred so he missed time & it somewhat hid the fact his production was
-he’s making decent $ and he’s not as young as he once was at a position that is tough on the 30+ crowd
-the RB position as a whole has been devalued in recent years and White has pretty much been a 3rd down back for his entire career (not that there’s anything wrong w that)

I could see BB trying to unload him for a future 6th or even 7th as it seems he likes doing that to vets he loves (instead of the release).

edit : BB bragging one day, releasing the other isn’t that uncommon. He loves bragging “anyone who plays in the league” and loves reminding people that they’re all tremendous athletes etc…

Oh yeah, sorry, it wasn't meant to be a "What are you thinking!?" kind of response. It's definitely true to the exercise. I was just pointing out I would, indeed, be very shocked.

I know he was in Bill's doghouse last year and there was the rumor he was a locker room lawyer. Now he has missed a bit of time as well. They also have drafted Uche in the second and signed Judon who both play a similar role to what Winovich is best at. I like his potential and don't want him gone and while I wouldn't necessarily put money on him being cut but I wouldn't be shocked at this point.
He's had some pretty bizarre tweets as well.

The 3rd season is typically when you reap the benefits of draft picks, but the Pats waste draft picks like there is no tomorrow.
Totally agree and it's an argument that will never end here. However, Gruden/Mayok Raiders are taking wasted draft picks to another level.
What a 5hit show of a Pats 2019 draft if Wino gets cut.
Harry, Williams and Winovich could all be gone. That would be a disaster and that's why Kraft threw BB under the bus this offseason.

Last edited:
Not sure how many would qualify as a "surprise" but Jennings, Winovich, Cowert, Godchaux, Bentley (although less likely after McMillon went down),

Of those players, CowArt is the only possibility that I can see at this point. Jennings struggled as a rookie is the second most likely but BB understands that Covid made it very difficult for all rookies and I’d be very surprised if he get cuts before his second year starts, unless he is an absolute disaster in preseason games and joint practices. The McMillAn injury helps his chances as well. Wino could get traded but outright cut? No chance of that, when they could likely get an early day 3 pick for him, given his production as a pass rusher over the past two years. Godchaux got 9m guaranteed and BB targeted him on day 1 of FA. He’s not getting cut. Bentley isn’t getting cut after McMillan’s injury, not to mention the fact that he has supposedly looked good so far.

Of those players, CowArt is the only possibility that I can see at this point. Jennings struggled as a rookie is the second most likely but BB understands that Covid made it very difficult for all rookies and I’d be very surprised if he get cuts before his second year starts, unless he is an absolute disaster in preseason games and joint practices. The McMillAn injury helps his chances as well. Wino could get traded but outright cut? No chance of that, when they could likely get an early day 3 pick for him, given his production as a pass rusher over the past two years. Godchaux got 9m guaranteed and BB targeted him on day 1 of FA. He’s not getting cut. Bentley isn’t getting cut after McMillan’s injury, not to mention the fact that he has supposedly looked good so far.
I agree they could probably swing a trade and recoup something for Winovich and I was also didn't realize that Godchaux was paid that much so I agree there as well. He isn't going anywhere. Jennings is one who couldn't get on the field last year even with zero depth at LB and now with the increased numbers there he may be on the outside looking in.

The game is to make a “big time cut” prediction. …

Mathew Slater

Most teams don’t even hold a ST-only position/player for gunners. His skill set is speed and sneakiness. At some age the speed is (relative to nfl level) ….. gone.

i would hate it (end of an era), but sooner or later it will happen. I would just be surprised whatever year it does happen

It’s a deep position and I see White as perhaps the most valuable and most difficult to replace.

Mathew Slater

Most teams don’t even hold a ST-only position/player for gunners. His skill set is speed and sneakiness. At some age the speed is (relative to nfl level) ….. gone.

i would hate it (end of an era), but sooner or later it will happen. I would just be surprised whatever year it does happen
I guess I always saw Slater as someone who’ll be pulled aside by BB and told “it’s time” à la Teddy B.

The most recent CBA added a new "mid-level" player benefit. So while they're paying him about $2.5M, he only counts about half that on the cap.

Could be Folk if Nordin can stay consistent.
Folk was virtually money last season hitting 90% +.

The best college season that Nordin ever had was 80%.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back