PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the next 'ultimate Patriot'?

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Re-reading this article made me realize how much I miss JE11. To me, he is the all-time ultimate Patriot eclipsing even Tom Brady and the likes of Troy Brown, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, etc.

IF ONLY he hadn't been out drinking with his buds. IF ONLY the Pats were still in the playoffs. Fate conspired against Julian 'Edelman making him jump onto a car and get arrested for vandalism. So damn funny.

So who will be next in line for Ultimate Patriot honors? To qualify, a player must (A) have longevity, (B) possess team-first attitude and (C) rise from relative obscurity and defy all odds to play an important role in winning games, epitomizing the Patriot Way. Current candidates would include Matthew Slater, maybe Devin McCourty and David Andrews. Who's next?

Mac Jones.

Was it really necessary to post this article? It seems out of character for you to focus on someone’s old mistake, especially a great Patriot like Edelman. Maybe I have lost my sense of humor. Now if it was about a former Jet player . . .

Mac Jones.

Was it really necessary to post this article? It seems out of character for you to focus on someone’s old mistake, especially a great Patriot like Edelman. Maybe I have lost my sense of humor. Now if it was about a former Jet player . . .

I just happened across it and thought it was funny. An off-field example of JE's gonzo nature, which made him what he was as a player.

Re-reading this article made me realize how much I miss JE11. To me, he is the all-time ultimate Patriot eclipsing even Tom Brady and the likes of Troy Brown, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, etc.

IF ONLY he hadn't been out drinking with his buds. IF ONLY the Pats were still in the playoffs. Fate conspired against Julian 'Edelman making him jump onto a car and get arrested for vandalism. So damn funny.

So who will be next in line for Ultimate Patriot honors? To qualify, a player must (A) have longevity, (B) possess team-first attitude and (C) rise from relative obscurity and defy all odds to play an important role in winning games, epitomizing the Patriot Way. Current candidates would include Matthew Slater, maybe Devin McCourty and David Andrews. Who's next?
Willie Mac is my Mister Patriot, but I put Jules second. Just got a Jules shirt. Slater and McCourty aren't mean enough. Maybe Judon will become that next one even though he started elsewhere.

Rodney to me was the ultimate Patriot. Discarded by another team, came here with an attitude and with something to prove, became a leader and one of our best performers in big games. Judon came here in different circumstances via a large contract, but he looks like he is going to bring that Rodney Harrison type attitude back into the defense.

Tough to beat Edelman on this, I mean they could retire the number #11 before #12 and I wouldn’t even feel mad. That’s the type of Patriots hero status he achieved.

Tough to beat Edelman on this, I mean they could retire the number #11 before #12 and I wouldn’t even feel mad. That’s the type of Patriots hero status he achieved.
career Patriot is a huge factor for me in this. we've had some great free agents, but guys who go wire to wire as Patriots get the edge. Which is why I was so pissed about Brady. So, Troy Brown, Bruschi, Edelman are my top choices

For the past no one can argue Troy, Tedi, or Jules. Or Rodney, although the qualification of rising from relative obscurity may not apply. Actually considering that I think there’s a good argument for Tom although his later years may not have been as selfless as the ideal Patriot profile (cue incoming firestorm).

On the current active list I think Slater is a good candidate, and looking forward to new guys Judson may be a good choice. But my binky for that role in the next generation still has to be Gunner, especially if he can improve his stone hands. Coming out of nowhere, taking advantage of whatever opportunity he‘s been given, and elevating to the top of his craft is the perfect story line. Now if only his craft can extend to WR not just PR!

As an honorable mention, seymour was a nasty dude. He might not have been a patriot way role model type like bru / troy / dmc but i want that guy on my team. Thats back in 03/04 when we were punching folks in the mouth , he was at the front of all that.

No love for Kevin Faulk? Dude epitomized everything Patriots and was the entire offense at one point.

As for a next gen candidate to become a productive, long-time Patriot, doing it mostly through grit and guts, endearing him to the local masses... Gunner.

Matt Slater, baby!

Can we say he's on the roster now?

James White.
He's definitely up there with Faulk and Brown. A year or 2 with Mac as his QB should seal his case.

I'll second Judon -- seems like a great fit!

Troy Brown is the man. Offense, special teams, even defense, like Jules did, but Troy even played DB in the PLAYOFFS!

Troy - 8th round pick, cut, re-signed, stashed at the bottom of the roster. All effort, all heart, at the center of how many crucial plays?

Faulk - early pick, fumble issues, inconsistent but never quit. Turns into one of the best 3rd down backs in the league.

Rodney - A cast off - he's done. Instant leader - look at his emotions after the AFCCG "Thank you for believing in me"

That's just three. Willie, Ted Johnson, the list goes on. Some just came up big (if not huge) when it counted most - Redmond in 36 comes to mind.

Damn we have seen some incredible players over that 20 year span. A lot of other guys got the glory and hype - ours got free hats and t-shirts.

Plus - Bruschi. Not just for his play, but also for the best ever after-game sideline interview "You want to come in here? It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be snowin'. You want to change the rules? Change them! We'll still win, that's what we do."

All the previous names are all worthy, but among the newer guys, I think David Andrews needs to get a few votes. Team player, overcame adversity, humble beginnings (RUDFA), and damned good

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back