PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you think will be the next QB for the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we get lucky getting Jimmy G in the 2nd round of the 2014 draft or was he less known?

How successful is tanking anyway? Doesn't seem like it's working all that often.

Unless you are 100% sure that Trevor Lawrence is going to become the greatest football player this world has ever seen, it doesn't seem to be a good plan.
I have never been an advocate for tanking, it gets hairy and the process is cumbersome, especially when you have a solid roster(besides a theoretically retired Brady).I couldn't be any higher on Lawrence though. Hoping it's a moot point and we get 2021 32nd pick not 1st.

The next QB for the Pats will not be the heir apparent. There will be so much pressure on him to be TB12 that he will be run out of town.
The QB’s that follow’s Brady’s replacement will be compared more to the replaced than to Tom and have a better chance to gain confidence and minimize distractions from boo birds and the media ultimately making him play more fast
I am not saying we will never contend again after Brady. We now have a winning attitude franchise of excellence that will make players believe. I have been around awhile and have seen this time and time again. I am still enjoying TB2 time. It’s been magical

I have never been an advocate for tanking, it gets hairy and the process is cumbersome, especially when you have a solid roster(besides a theoretically retired Brady).I couldn't be any higher on Lawrence though. Hoping it's a moot point and we get 2021 32nd pick not 1st.

If there was a way we could run analytics to figure out which team will suck the most in the '20-21 season and trade now for their 1st round pick... he would be the guy I'd risk it for. The Jets aren't going to help us, so that eliminates one team from the projections.

Hoyer is a great "scout" QB (he would make a great Patriots QB coach and OC someday). Can't move on from Etling yet. Tom's replacement will not be drafted in 2019.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
The next QB for the Pats will not be the heir apparent. There will be so much pressure on him to be TB12 that he will be run out of town.
The QB’s that follow’s Brady’s replacement will be compared more to the replaced than to Tom and have a better chance to gain confidence and minimize distractions from boo birds and the media ultimately making him play more fast
I am not saying we will never contend again after Brady. We now have a winning attitude franchise of excellence that will make players believe. I have been around awhile and have seen this time and time again. I am still enjoying TB2 time. It’s been magical

Steve Young did not get run out of town.

Hoyer is a great "scout" QB (he would make a great Patriots QB coach and OC someday). Can't move on from Etling yet. Tom's replacement will not be drafted in 2019.

Any word from anyone in the know on Etling?

He looks like a young Brady with scrambling ability. If he's coach- able and has the right work ethic, why not give him a chance?

Steve Young did not get run out of town.
Nor did Rodgers. In fact I'd argue Montana and Favre were run out of town because the teams didn't want to blow holding onto the heir to satisfy the older guy.

The one thing we have going for us is that Brady essentially gave us a timeline. 45. He'll be 42 next season. I don't think we go ham for anyone in a weak class. So if we do draft the following season we basically are committing to 3 years of development while Brady finishes up with the potential for a decline making that timetable early.

The bigger questions are do you trust you find a guy where you pick or do you trade to move up. This team isn't tanking anytime soon.

I do know that. That is an exception to the rule. I knew I would get some slack for my point. I am hoping we get the next Steve Young. I am only stating the more likely scenario. Dan Marino’s replacement was Jay Fielder. John Elways replacement was Brian Griese, Peyton Manning’s replacement was Brock Osweiller, etc. I think for the Pats we will be more in the Bob Griese category. David Woolley replaced him for 2 years before Marino arrived.
I am not trying to be a buzz kill. I don’t ever want this run to stall. Just being a realist. That said I am 60 years old and have seen the lean years. I am OK with a few lean years to get back to glory. Let’s enjoy what we have in front of us. Hopefully Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers comes walking through that door

Brady doesn’t have a say in personnel moves,
Don't be naive. He's literally the most accomplished veteran QB of all time and basically works as an assistant OC along with his duties on the field. Sure he doesn't technically have the right to call any shots on personnel, but if you're talking QBOTF, the team owes him a chance to sit down and talk it over before they make any final decisions. If nothing else, Brady has his own extremely valid insights into what makes a great QB and may be able to provide valuable advice to make the right selection.

Colin Kaepernick. Protests and all.

John Bledsoe, Washington State.... Would be nice if he shows the talent and drive.

This.

The next guy is probably already in the NFL and is a known quantity to BB and the staff. They will need a very coach-able guy who studies and is mature enough to handle the pressure of following Tom. Media savvy and smart.

Not only that, but it means BB is no longer the coach.

This.

The next guy is probably already in the NFL and is a known quantity to BB and the staff. They will need a very coach-able guy who studies and is mature enough to handle the pressure of following Tom. Media savvy and smart.
You described Nick Foles
However Media savy?
If that was a prerequisite to be on the team we would of never given BB the keys.
So I agree with everything except for that.

Muhammad Li

This.

Section 102. How long have you been a season ticket holder? I have had them for 26 years. What a run for us. I would hate to think Brady’s replacement is going to be a QB with no NFL experience. The pressure of playing in the NFL and being Brady’s replacement will have unbelievable pressure to deal with. The blue chip rookie QB’s will be out of our reach with where we pick every year. Plus if a QB is a blue chip the team who has the pick is not going to trade it away. But we can only speculate. Maybe we strike gold again

experience

We can't move on from Etling's in his role as emergency Practice Squad backup?
I think that we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey