PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the major busts in this draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Most likely to be a draft bust:

• Caleb Williams

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Jayden Daniels

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • JJ McCarthy

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Keon Coleman looks like the new N'Keal Harry....but I have made this comparison before and been soooo wrong so take this with a grain of salt.

JJ McCarthy will be a bust if he is picked high enough, which it sure it starting to look like he will be.

Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels.
And that Iowa CB. What’s his name? Cooper DeSeam or something?

I would be worried about Daniels: two first round WRs and two first round OTs he played with at LSU. Then he gets to the IRSers or Patriots with major OL suckage. Watch Bambi take off.

And get crumpled.

And that Iowa CB. What’s his name? Cooper DeSeam or something?

I would be worried about Daniels: two first round WRs and two first round OTs he played with at LSU. Then he gets to the IRSers or Patriots with major OL suckage. Watch Bambi take off.

And get crumpled.
It's DeJean (I had to look it up). If he's taken in the first round (as projected) and he fails, I'd considered him a bust. At his position it's so difficult to project: the NFL is bigger, faster, quicker and stronger and some stuff that worked for him in college won't in the NFL. Who knows, maybe he'll become a slot receiver and have great success.

Your take is a good summary of my objections to Daniels. Slight frame, the athleticism gap will be smaller in the NFL (and that's a critical part of his game), and he was throwing to guys who were often open from a clean pocket.

If "bust" is defined as "expectations vs. performance" then I'd suggest Harrison. He's being projected as "generational" which puts him in the class of Rice, Moss, etc. I suspect he's just going to be a good NFL receiver, not a perennial all pro.

Caleb Williams will be a huge star in this league. Mahomes #2.

3 busts:

1. T Sweat DT from Texas. He's just a lump. That's all.

2. R Rosengarten from Washington. Way too slow feet to play tackle. Whiffs a lot, ole ole ole. Watch the NC game, he was non-existent.

3. J. Polk from Washington. He just plays weak out there and doesn't seem to show much effort going for balls. I question everything about him, including his hands. On a team with 3 receivers, someone was going to be open.

Williams almost certainly. Character does matter, and he hasn't got a lick of it. I also have a nagging feeling Drake Maye might be a somewhat beefier Mac Jones whose limitations - inaccuracy, intemperance, ADD - will be similarly devastating at the next level, but that's just crazy talk, right? Huh?

Some GM type on he Jim Rome show said that Williams was Prince in a football jersey, ha. But the reality was that Prince was weird but he could really play....

I watched some Rome Odunze highlights, and I have to wonder if he is overrated. He seemed to not get separation on deep throws and had to push off to make the grab. That will not work in the NFL. I would not blow a high pick on this guy when there are so many better WRs with real separation abilities.

I better be careful with what I say. Today on a very entertaining Jim Rome Show, Daniel Jeremiah said that Odunze was his favorite player in the whole draft, was very intelligent, and has a great work ethic, so I must be way off....but I watched 4 big catches by Odunze and he was pushing off on three of them...then again 4 catches does not qualify as a careful analysis.

Some GM type on he Jim Rome show said that Williams was Prince in a football jersey, ha. But the reality was that Prince was weird but he could really play....
Guitar player here: indeed he could, with beautiful fluency, though rarely while under pursuit by gigantic, mean-spirited music critics.

I better be careful with what I say. Today on a very entertaining Jim Rome Show, Daniel Jeremiah said that Odunze was his favorite player in the whole draft, was very intelligent, and has a great work ethic, so I must be way off....but I watched 4 big catches by Odunze and he was pushing off on three of them...then again 4 catches does not qualify as a careful analysis.
The stuff I watched made him seem like one of those contested catch guys. Not a lot of elusiveness or YAC.

Caleb Williams' flashy moments and "promise" will keep him around for far longer than his actual contributions will merit. Perhaps, I will admit, this is more a hope than an empirical prediction. I find him insufferable.

- Anyone who says Caleb Williams will bust, has never seen him play outside of a Youtube clip here and there.

The answer is "Every QB not named Caleb Williams', much like the 2021 class answer was 'Every QB not named Trevor Lawrence'.
T Lawrence never lived up to the hype that he was a generational QB. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of the top qb prospects don't pan out.

T Lawrence never lived up to the hype that he was a generational QB. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of the top qb prospects don't pan out.
He's still the best QB from that class, and it's not close. Even with his Urban Meyer rookie year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back