PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the major busts in this draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Most likely to be a draft bust:

• Caleb Williams

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Jayden Daniels

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • JJ McCarthy

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Olu Fashanu, Kool Aid McKinstry, Cooper Dejean, Amarius Mims, Graham Barton.
Not that they will all be busts but most are projected 1st rounders and need a lot of work or lack in some areas that will get exposed in NFL.

Of the QB's Williams will be Baker Mayfield ok, not a bust but not a star.
Drake Maye is biggest bust potential but biggest upside.
McCarthy and Daniels can start for someone as a floor, just not clear if they ever become better than the 15-20th best QB in the league.

This is actually an interesting way to frame the #3 choice.

I've been so back and forth on Maye & Daniels. But, if the question is: who is more likely to bust - I just commented on this yesterday that Daniels seems like a long shot to actually bust - at least in the first 3 years - due to his natural physical traits (speed, mobility, arm talent).

We don't know how he'll handle the NFL schemes, or durability, but his level of prolonged success in the SEC rarely produces a bust.
(Mac had a very short run of success) But I think it's not hard to see Maye busting - if thrown in like Wilson was at NYJ. He has lots of physical tools, but lacks consistency and still very young mentally.

Daniels is the better "bust-proof" QB prospect - maybe of all the top 6.
I guess the question is for how long can that stringbean frame allow him to play his sort of game. The record for longevity in such "athletic" paragons is not fabulous.

I guess the question is for how long can that stringbean frame allow him to play his sort of game. The record for longevity in such "athletic" paragons is not fabulous.
Age will get him if injury doesn’t. Is he still an elite talent if he has to become a pocket passer after 30? With Daniels that’s 7 years away, and if mobility is essential to his game, then his peak will be short.

I Think Anquan Boldin ran a similar time and had a Great career I don't put much stock in 40 times it's not an exact science I like the other things the players do. You can't teach 6'4 215.
You just need to slow your roll on this guy is all. You’re the one who put the name Harry in your reply, not me.
And he’s 6’3 not 6’4 (Just Saying) and Jerry Rice ran a pedestrian time too yeah yeah.
We don’t know if he can play outside in the NFL. He has great hands and looks legit in contested catches. Makes it look routine. I just wouldn’t take him in the top 40. He has a lot of competition in this draft.

Been watching a lot of tape these last couple of days (my eyes hurt) - I'm no expert, admittedly (then again, given how all over the place the "experts" are) but just from what I see...

"Bust" is subjective based on pick position more than anything.

To me, every QB in this class has a good chance of busting, except for 1. I don't know how I talked myself out of it, because here's where I was before the season ended. I think the last I saw of him made me look away, that playoff game. But I'm back: Michael Penix Jr.

I know, I know, the knees - I don't really care about healed ACL injuries on QBs. Penix throws a beautiful and accurate ball far down the field with ease. Even if they don't trade out, I hope the Pats take him at 3.

I'd rate the QBs as:
1. Penix (NFL QBs THROW the ball)
2. Williams (huge potential attitude bust, plus he's small)
3. Maye (boom or bust)
4. Daniels (good, but not Lamar)
5. McCarthy (too raw...and...no)
6. Nix (actually I like him more than McCarthy, simply because he's played a lot more

Caleb Williams will be a huge star in this league. Top 5 QB.

JJ McCarthy if picked early will be a bust. Brock Bowers. Jerzhan Newton. Chop Robinson. Ladd McConkey. Xavier Worthy. Braden Fiske. Kris Jenkins. T'Vondre Sweat if taken in 2nd. Corum. Orhororo. Booker: ALL BUSTS

Players I'd love to have: Bullard, Colson, Beebe, Cam Hart, Fuaga, Fautanu, Payton Wilson, Nubin, Michael Hall, Dorlus, Jaelen Wright, Puni, Leonard Taylor

Caleb Williams, it's just not meant for the Bears to have a legit successful franchise QB. His chaotic style of QB play just won't work in the NFL and he's also a Hobbit. Dude is a shade over 6 feet tall.

Drake Maye and MHJ. The way MHJ is acting like all this predraft combine and pro-day stuff is beneath him raises red flags to me. Either he's too arrogant and off putting to do the same thing as his teammates have to, or he's hiding something.

Williams. I think his mental makeup and borderline lunacy are huge red flags.

- Anyone who says Caleb Williams will bust, has never seen him play outside of a Youtube clip here and there.

The answer is "Every QB not named Caleb Williams', much like the 2021 class answer was 'Every QB not named Trevor Lawrence'.

I watched some Rome Odunze highlights, and I have to wonder if he is overrated. He seemed to not get separation on deep throws and had to push off to make the grab. That will not work in the NFL. I would not blow a high pick on this guy when there are so many better WRs with real separation abilities.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back