Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Everyone says NO, this is stupid

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No-one say NO, this is great

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for at least playing along. I just want Brady to have Cooks the rest of his (Brady's) career. If Cooks plays out the next two, he's likely gone.

As for franchising him, the WR # is over $15M this year. It'll be 18M or so in 2 years.
But your proposal basically guarantees him that.

What about that Gilmore dude?

I hear you but it appears you are focussing on the second para of that response that just talks about players, whereas the first para sets the stage for only for 'receivers'.

So, I believe that the poster was referring to the improbablity of WRs who never played with Brady + O, and yet getting huge contracts.

But your proposal basically guarantees him that.
I should have gone with my initial instinct at 4/40. Then it's 2/30 added on. Maybe slightly high but enough to tempt him out of FA for two years.

Cooks is 23 and really good, I want to use these two cheap years to get him for 4-5 years which will likely see Brady into retirement.

Why must we suffer thru these if i were gm, a contract lawyer, and inside the head of the player threads. No, no , no we dont even know if the guys fits yet. You dont give a guy 10 mil dollars more than you have too before he plays a snap. Please let him play 8 games before you spend 10 mil dollars of the krafts money. Bill b wont even give butler that kind of money and he hasnt missed a game in two years. Please keep your day job and leave the 45 mil contract negotiations to the people who have an actual job in the nfl.

Great post OP. There's a reason BB traded for Cooks. He believes he'll be a perfect fit in this offense. He's seen him a lot. He knows. And I have little doubt they'll try and extend his contract. Heck, they tried to extend Butler's contract but Butler's agent didn't want to give a little to get an early deal.

Gronk signed an early deal. Point is, some guys are open to it, some aren't. But I have little doubt the Patriots will TRY to get a longer term deal done. Just a matter if they can come to terms.

Let's hope so.

There's risk but if we let him play it out, he's likely a two year player here as he'll be getting huge 5 year offers in 2 years. 4/44 will likely look like a bargain - with some risk.
why would he not bet on himself then? Rather than give us a bargain?

Great post OP. There's a reason BB traded for Cooks. He believes he'll be a perfect fit in this offense. He's seen him a lot. He knows. And I have little doubt they'll try and extend his contract. Heck, they tried to extend Butler's contract but Butler's agent didn't want to give a little to get an early deal.

Gronk signed an early deal. Point is, some guys are open to it, some aren't. But I have little doubt the Patriots will TRY to get a longer term deal done. Just a matter if they can come to terms.

Let's hope so.
Gronk played at least a whole season with the Pats before getting anything. Maybe 2 I'm not sure exactly.

Bill b wont even give butler that kind of money and he hasnt missed a game in two years
The Patriots supposedly offered Butler about $7M last year. Assuming it was a replacement not an add on that's about 4/28 replacing 2/6 (last year and this) so it would be an add on of 2/22. If you drop my numbers a bit, the concept is the same.

I would be willing to go higher per year for Cooks as he's younger, I think better and because we really need to help Brady as he ages. WR who can get open quickly and really threaten the defense will help Brady immensely. We can't have our 40 something QB holding onto the ball because his receivers can't get open - that's a recipe for a career ending injury.

Drop my numbers to 4/36 or 4/38 and give Brady a young stud to grow old with.

why would he not bet on himself then? Rather than give us a bargain?
We're adding a ton to the deal. Betting on yourself with 2/10 coming is one thing. Very different with 4/40 or so. Assuming a big bonus that's mega bucks in the bank. Trying for a win win. Would Cooks do 4/36? That's adding 2 years at $13M per. Maybe 4/40 is enough to buy out 2 FA years but doable for the team.

We're adding a ton to the deal. Betting on yourself with 2/10 coming is one thing. Very different with 4/40 or so. Assuming a big bonus that's mega bucks in the bank. Trying for a win win. Would Cooks do 4/36? That's adding 2 years at $13M per. Maybe 4/40 is enough to buy out 2 FA years but doable for the team.

The problem you are creating is that you are blowing up the payscale inside the Patriots roster. Which is why Cooks will play out those 2 years on his rookie deal because the 5M APY fit perfectly well into the payment structure the Pats have with the rest of their offense. He is not making more than Gronk and only marginally more than Edelman. Moreover his pay is dictated by his rookie contract so it's not like Gilmore where the Pats went out and gave someone a big contract.

If you don't believe this plays a huge role you should listen to podcasts of various beat writers because the importance of the salary structure comes up again and again to the point where Howe dedicated an entire show to it.

NO

He has to learn not to do the bow and arrow

The problem you are creating is that you are blowing up the payscale inside the Patriots roster. Which is why Cooks will play out those 2 years on his rookie deal because the 5M APY fit perfectly well into the payment structure the Pats have with the rest of their offense. He is not making more than Gronk and only marginally more than Edelman. Moreover his pay is dictated by his rookie contract so it's not like Gilmore where the Pats went out and gave someone a big contract.

If you don't believe this plays a huge role you should listen to podcasts of various beat writers because the importance of the salary structure comes up again and again to the point where Howe dedicated an entire show to it.
This. X10.

And the fact that he's yet to even play a down for the team. We have no idea how well he's going to pick up the system, whether or not he'll suffer an injury this year or next, how he'll fit into the locker room, how he may adjust to a reduced role, and any other numerous variables that have yet to play out.

He could fumble 4 games in a row. He could get a DUI. He could show up barefoot and shirtless to the police station, high on spice/K2. You get the picture. We should have a season play out first before seriously discussing an extension.

He has to learn not to do the bow and arrow
Is it a penalty? I know they are looking to soften their stance on some of the post-TD celebrations. I'm assuming that it is, right now; otherwise, I want to see him do it as many times as possible.

Me too really but while he does that the militia is firing. Gotta love it

I hear you but it appears you are focussing on the second para of that response that just talks about players, whereas the first para sets the stage for only for 'receivers'.

So, I believe that the poster was referring to the improbablity of WRs who never played with Brady + O, and yet getting huge contracts.
Yes, that is correct.

Preposterous. Only a few receivers are even able to adapt to the Patriots offense, much less excel in it. First, see if he is one of that group.

The Patriots don't take long-term huge contracts on players who haven't played in their system, which is one of the reasons they're so successful.

This is true, but a month ago we would also be arguing that the Patriots don't give up first round picks to wide receivers. Belichick would not trade a 1st for a two year rental. Cooks is expected to be a cornerstone for the next 5 or more years.

If there are no more "big money" signings this year and we roll over the cap space, on the books we have something like $75-80 million in cap space next year.. I like the proposal for $40 for 4 years, but does the amount of cap money we have influence how Cooks and his agent negotiate??? INOW does his market value increase with the amount of cap space??

Any extension is dependent on how he does this year.. not sure how if the complexity of this offense compares to the Saints..

Let's hope so.
Agreed, no way Belichick only wants Cooks for 1 season. He traded for him for the long run. They will work out a long term deal. Even if they have to sign the high priced option year, they will get it done. I think BB waits until he sees what Cooks can do in the offense. But if he's a perfect fit, he will be around a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye