Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Everyone says NO, this is stupid

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No-one say NO, this is great

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that both sides would benefit by taking it slow and seeing how things go. We all know that some receivers have difficulty running this offense correctly. There's plenty of time to extend. The deal needs to be something BOTH sides want.

BTW: We've seen Cooks's highlights and stats and they are great. But does anyone know how well he blocks downfield? This is a requirement for a Belichick receiver.

How much should he be paid a year after these 2 years? Lets have a look.

NFL Contracts

I will call him about the 15th best WR in the NFL.

The 15th highest paid makes 10M a year. I am okay paying him 10M a year after this year if it works out. Maybe a tad more as the cap will go up the next 2-3 years after this one. Also you get a year to see how it looks.

He plays this year then instead of 8 next year say "lets extend you now but for the upfront money lets make it team friendly".

After this year I offer him 4 years 43M with 23 guaranteed. He gets a little pay bump and security and is on a reasonable contract which projects to be not far behind what he is worth.

Thanks for at least playing along. I just want Brady to have Cooks the rest of his (Brady's) career. If Cooks plays out the next two, he's likely gone.

As for franchising him, the WR # is over $15M this year. It'll be 18M or so in 2 years.

I don't see an issue since BRady is going to walk away after winning SB52

No Rush unless Cooks have a lights out Odell Beckham type season. $8Mill is still a bargain for Cooks next year based on the type of WR he is.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Cooks extended but I think it will be difficult at best.

you dont trade a 1st for a 22 year old star if you dont plan on having him im your plans in 2 years.
My guess is from a combination of scouting tape and interaction thru joint practices. BB views him not just as a top receiver but a top weapon when you account for versatility.
Remember Julian and Danny are getting to the age where wide receivers lose alot of natural ability. Cuts quickness.
Now Julian and Danny work their tails off and our both fierce competitors with chips on their shoulder.
However we shouldnt bank on Julian Danny and Tommy all prolonging father time and it doesnt look like Bill is.
Brandin and Malcolm are the future of this receiving corps.
I dont think BB will invest too heavily this draft into the position but next year I expect a possible huge overhaul.
Hogan is in his prime.
So thats 3 very good pieces going into 2018 and 2019.

NFL Contracts

The 15th highest paid makes 10M a year. I am okay paying him 10M a year after this year if it works out. Maybe a tad more as the cap will go up the next 2-3 years after this one. Also you get a year to see how it looks.

He plays this year then instead of 8 next year say "lets extend you now but for the upfront money lets make it team friendly".

After this year I offer him 4 years 43M with 23 guaranteed. He gets a little pay bump and security and is on a reasonable contract which projects to be not far behind what he is worth.

You're high if you think there are 15 WRs better than Cooks. I see 4-6 and that's it. Jones, Green, Brown, Beckham, after that it's a toss up for a few spots. Imo Cooks will be an All Pro with Brady this season. I can only guess that many in this forum haven't seen Cooks play, he's a freak athlete who plays much bigger than his size.

NFL Contracts

15th? I would say he's definitely top 10. Have you seen the guy play? Have you seen his production before the age of 23?

Cooks will be an all pro this season mark my words. Some posters still don't realize just how athletic, skilled, and fast Cooks is. We got a steal giving up the 32 for cooks.

I would play out the 2 years, or see how they go, and either offer him an extension further down the road when you've figured out if he is a keeper in this system, or use the tag to keep/trade him in year 3 if a deal isn't done.

I don't typically talk to inanimate object

But when I do, I say 'No'

Give him a year to show what he can do on our team first. I'd love to see Cooks blossom into a star in the Patriots uniform but it hasn't happened yet. If he does great, the Pats might negotiate with him to tear up the option year or give him an extension on top of picking up the option.

You're high if you think there are 15 WRs better than Cooks. I see 4-6 and that's it. Jones, Green, Brown, Beckham, after that it's a toss up for a few spots. Imo Cooks will be an All Pro with Brady this season. I can only guess that many in this forum haven't seen Cooks play, he's a freak athlete who plays much bigger than his size.

15th? I would say he's definitely top 10. Have you seen the guy play? Have you seen his production before the age of 23?

Cooks will be an all pro this season mark my words. Some posters still don't realize just how athletic, skilled, and fast Cooks is. We got a steal giving up the 32 for cooks.

I'd say about 15th seems about right for him but if you wanna try to say I have him a bit too low that is understandable. I was not married to the idea he was 15th best. I just threw it out there as a marker as it seemed about right to me.

Right now today (not years in the future) the guys I'd say are better than Cooks are the following: Brown, Jones, Green, Evans, Hilton, Bryant, Nelson, D. Thomas, Hopkins, Beckham. I'd say I feel confident those 10 are better. So at the highest I'd put him 11th best personally.

After that you have maybe M. Thomas, Cooper, Landry, Benjamin, Baldwin, Diggs, Sanders. I would probably put a few of those guys over him too. I said 15th without having any specific list in mind. Maybe If I really thought about it I'd put him a few spots higher but that would be maybe 14th or 13th. Not 5th and not top 10.

If you disagree that is fine. However if you think he is better than the 10 i put above him for sure I'd be curious to see that argument cause to change my mind on that it would have to be very convincing.

Also I am very happy to get Cooks and think he will produce very well here.

Last edited:
I'd say about 15th seems about right for him but if you wanna try to say I have him a bit too low that is understandable. I was not married to the idea he was 15th best. I just threw it out there as a marker as it seemed about right to me.

Right now today (not years in the future) the guys I'd say are better than Cooks are the following: Brown, Jones, Green, Evans, Hilton, Bryant, Nelson, D. Thomas, Hopkins, Beckham. I'd say I feel confident those 10 are better. So at the highest I'd put him 11th best personally.

After that you have maybe M. Thomas, Cooper, Landry, Benjamin, Baldwin, Diggs, Sanders. I would probably put a few of those guys over him too. I said 15th without having any specific list in mind. Maybe If I really thought about it I'd put him a few spots higher but that would be maybe 14th or 13th. Not 5th and not top 10.

If you disagree that is fine. However if you think he is better than the 10 i put above him for sure I'd be curious to see that argument cause to change my mind on that it would have to be very convincing.

I'll stick with #6, but I think he will be an All Pro in NE. Many minds are going to change when people see this kid play, it's Steve Smith with Desean Jacksons speed.

I have to respectfully disagree Cooks is a tier better than Hilton

I'll stick with #6, but I think he will be an All Pro in NE. Many minds are going to change when people see this kid play, it's Steve Smith with Desean Jacksons speed.

I have to respectfully disagree Cooks is a tier better than Hilton

If you think differently then fair enough. Either way I am sure we are all happy he is here and think he will do really well here.

If you think differently then fair enough. Either way I am sure we are all happy he is here and think he will do really well here.

I'm biased, he's been a binky since his draft year. I don't know if there's a better match for this offense out there. He gets open instantly, he can run every route and play ever WR position for them, and he's a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. MacDaniels going to have a field day drawing up plays for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back