PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who really gets the credit for SBLIII win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could anyone ever think it was?

His perceived loss of speed early in the season along with his fairly expensive contract had people saying he might be a cap cut along with DMac.

I don’t recall the pick being panned. Do you mean by this forum or the idiots on the radio?
Both - there were people on here who complained mightily about drafting a RB, his knee issues, need for defense etc

I don’t recall the pick being panned. Do you mean by this forum or the idiots on the radio?
There were people here who panned it, but it was mostly the same people who pan every pick. Plus Bill Simmons for some reason, who--it can't be stated enough--is an insightful basketball guy who knows nothing at all about football.

His perceived loss of speed early in the season along with his fairly expensive contract had people saying he might be a cap cut along with DMac.
Never a chance of that.

That was the ultimate team win and I am so proud of this team, what they accomplished this season. I was a doubter after the first weeks it looked ugly from a talent standpoint, many missed drafts, good players who left. And most of the season they were on a rollercoaster but just like it happens every year, the most important factors are, healthy and clicking at the right time. Just like it happened for the Eagles last year, and it happened for us this year. They went from the worst defensive performance ever in a SB for the best with basically the same core.

Kudos to BB for this coaching master class, but I'd like to point a few players that deserve huge praise.

David Andrews - Man, he is one of the faces of this team. Hard worker, does his job, and celebrates TD's more than the player who made the score.

James Develin - MY GOD, what this guy did in this playoff run was spectacular, he deserves huge huge praise. He is an all time favorite.

Joe Thuney - So reliable, 3 years without missing a game. 3 SB's in a row.

Van Noy - Ninkovich 2.0, a guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Gilmore - Gilmore's Island. Probably the best CB in football this season.

Jason McCourthy - I'm so happy that he did work out, not only that, made a crucial play in the SB. I was afraid he would be cut in camp. I'm glad the McCourthys went on to play a season together as starters.

Gronk - Gronk is a hero, played through injury, gave all he had, came up BIG in BIG moments, against the Chiefs and Rams. When he was limited, acting more as a blocking TE, he was celebrating his blocks, never became a Diva or a problem. He may have his off-season problems sometimes, but those were never that big and he's had all the right to question his contract, but once the season starts he zips his mouth and works hard. I hope he goes for another one.

Edelman - What to say about this guy? He deserves a statue.

Burkhead - Huge against the Chiefs and Rams, after being inactive all season, he didn't miss a beat. Happy for this guy.

Scharnechia - Well done sir.

I think part of the credit has to go to Matt Patricia who showed with his Lions how the Quarters defense could be effective against the Rams.

I think part of the credit has to go to Matt Patricia who showed with his Lions how the Quarters defense could be effective against the Rams.
Belichick’s disciple, may have taught the master something. Maybe.

I keep hearing about how it was all Flores' doing. Not much credit going to guys like Gilmore, Hightower and Van Noy.

How Flores was a defensive guru with this team by playing more man and going away from bed don't break, but than I remember how his defense couldn't stop KC's offense.

Or is it on Goff and Gurley's lackluster performance? Or that Goff might've had the worst statistical performance for QB in the Super Bowl,

Ben has something like a 22 passer rating in SBXL.

In SB 50 neither QB had above a 57 passer rating.

Even Gilmore today tweeted about how nasty the front seven was. I thought that Hightower (for his 3rd SB in a row) was an absolute beast (wish he was around for SB 52). Van Noy seems to be getting better each year.

Raise your hand if you thought the Pats were going to win if they scored 13 points.

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

If I had said a week ago, that the Pats will hold the Rams to 3 points, you would have all collectively told me I was nuts.

3 points, they held them to 3 points!!!

I have a theory...sometime wayyy back in June of 2001 when Ray Borque returned to Boston for a rally on the steps of Faneuil Hall with the Stanley Cup he won with the Avs...some Boston fan told to himself, "This is our only championship since 1986....unacceptable!"...then that fan decided to sell his soul to Satan in exchange for 12 championships and counting......

I have a theory...sometime wayyy back in June of 2001 when Ray Borque returned to Boston for a rally on the steps of Faneuil Hall with the Stanley Cup he won with the Avs...some Boston fan told to himself, "This is our only championship since 1986....unacceptable!"...then that fan decided to sell his soul to Satan in exchange for 12 championships and counting......
Did you at least insist on an escape clause?

There is one player without whom they are watching the game on TV. He deserves some props even if he did not put up gaudy numbers. He doesn't deserve MVP of the game, which I may have given to Gilmore over my sentimental favorite JE11, but as far as credit for a Super Bowl winning SEASON? No other quarterback in the league wins that game in Arrowhead.

...but Bill for the last game, with an honorable mention to Flores.

The bulk of the credit has to go to BB. Undoubtedly he decides on the overall defensive game plan. While Flores calls the individual plays, BB is the architect. Flores is laying the bricks according to the plan BB decides on.

The defense deserves HUGE HUGE kudos also for A+ execution. How about Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown. Great job containing the run in the biggest game of their lives. Deatrich Wise also.

Obviously Van Noy and Hightower. The DB's were sensational.

Still am stunned 3 points against the 11th best offense of all time in the most pressure pachked game in prosports

The Rams play dirty on D. Every tackle is a head tackle designed not only to intimidate the offensive players, but to hurt them. They did not deserve to win that game, and I can sympathize just a little more with New Orleans about the loss the previous week. Glad our guys were able to overcome their aggressive, borderline playing style.

I noticed this too. But we are biased.
Why don't announcers or experts ever say this?

i think this is the best video of the game it has answered your question for me without a doubt. This video also have things in the proper sequence. I also like the throwback.

Last edited:
The most credit given to any single individual doled out for this year's championship would go to this guy Tom Brady. Forgetting about that guy leading the game winning drive. Screw the stats. They are not in this game, and they do not have (yet another) 4th quarter game winning drive without him. Divvy up any awards you might want to give. Give credit where due. Many players had a serious hand in this year's triumph. But there does not exist another quarterback that wins the Arrowhead game, now comes up perfect in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. I totally get the JE11 love, and the rest of it. But really.....

It seemed like everyone played so well, hard to put it on one guy but if I had to , I’d put it on brady for the fourth quarter clutch drive number 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe