PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who really gets the credit for SBLIII win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quest4SevenHomie

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I keep hearing about how it was all Flores' doing. Not much credit going to guys like Gilmore, Hightower and Van Noy.

How Flores was a defensive guru with this team by playing more man and going away from bed don't break, but than I remember how his defense couldn't stop KC's offense.

Or is it on Goff and Gurley's lackluster performance? Or that Goff might've had the worst statistical performance for QB in the Super Bowl, like the late passes that allowed Gilmore to pick him off and Jason Mccourty to tackle Cooks on the 3rd qtr play when it was 3-0?

This one was 100% on BB. He zigged when everyone else zagged by recreating his team as the 1990 Giants (focus on the running game, ball control & an aggressive D) when the rest of the league was moving to spread formations and 240 lb linebackers.

The defensive gameplan in the Superbowl was pure genius, probably just as good as the one that he has in the Hall of Fame for beating the 90 Bills.

It was the whole team's win. The D played lights out against a powerful O. The defensive game planning was spectacular. The O was up against a formidable opposing D and struggled mightily, but never gave up, ultimately getting that one drive it needed (and half a drive at the end of the game) to win. Ditto offensive game planning; struggled starting off, but ultimately got it right.

I didn't get back until yesterday and I have not had time to read through the board, but I will tell you there was also karma working in the Pats' favor during that game. The Rams play dirty on D. Every tackle is a head tackle designed not only to intimidate the offensive players, but to hurt them. They did not deserve to win that game, and I can sympathize just a little more with New Orleans about the loss the previous week. Glad our guys were able to overcome their aggressive, borderline playing style.

It's obviously me, as discussed in the superstition thread, I wore the Patriot's socks and PJs my mom gave me for Xmas, and ordered the same meal I ordered the last 2 games of the regular season and playoffs. You are all welcome.

I think also, A LOT of credit has to go to that genius defensive game plan by Flores and Belichick. That was the greatest defensive performance in SB history. You can have your Baltimore Ravens from 2000 (look at that Giant's team they beat, Kerry Collins for Christ's sake), and your Chicago Bears from 1985 (our Pats were the 10th highest scoring team in 1985, not an offensive juggernaut really), the performance by the 2018 defense in the SB vs the #2 offense in football, is legendary. May not have the Hall of Famers on our defense like the Bears and Ravens did, but the performance was the best defensive performance ever in a SB. The Rams were in the red zone ZERO times and held to a FG. In the highest scoring NFL season EVER.

Brady came through when he had to. I kept saying all game, "C'mon Brady, you need to Brady." It took 50+ minutes, but he did it, that drive was masterful. The last drive for the clinching FG was great as well. They knew the Rams defense was gassed, and ran the ball down their throats.

Just a great team win, but that defense, I've NEVER seen a Pat's defense play that well in a BIG game.

This game shows up the difference between ELITE coaching and GIMMICKS.

The difference between building a TEAM, and collecting big names in free agency like it's Pokemon Go.

The difference between being cool under pressure, and folding like a coward the first time someone gives you a real punch in the face.

The LA Rams are a team without fans that shouldn't exist, coached by an "offensive mastermind" who played into the hands of the Patriots defense as completely as you can possibly imagine, led on the field by an "elite" "MVP candidate" quarterback who has to be spoon-fed his reads over the headset radio and can't check out of plays. The Patriots literally broke Goff's brain by calling 2 plays - a fake one to show before the helmet radio cut out, and the real one they actually ran after it cut out.

This was a collision between substantive greatness and empty hype, and maybe the most severe coaching vs. coaching beat-down in living memory.

If you essentially shut out a team averaging 33 ppg, there’s going to be a lot of players and coaches who deserve credit. Basically every player brought their A+ game, as did the coaches. You don’t see 11 guys all win their matchups and execute flawlessly, but that’s what happened. From a macro standpoint, though, Belichick deserves the most credit. Not only for the game plan but for assembling a defense who, in this day in age, shut down a really good Chargers offense, held a historically good Chiefs offense to 7 points though 3 quarters, and then just had one of the most dominant defensive SB performances in memory. A remarkable thing about that SB performance is that it’s not like the Rams just fumbled the ball 7 times. It was a beautiful thing to watch. I think a lot of fans who don’t like the Patriots even enjoyed it to some degree, after watching the circus of offense that Goodell has created.

They played just like I coach em' !!!!

:)

We should have seen this coming...

riding-a-goat.gif

...Sammy owns the Rams. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye