PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Needs Medical People When You Have Tony Romo

Status
Not open for further replies.
He offers better tactical commentary than most; however he has a tendency with what I'd term a "loser's mentality" in regards to "teams pouring it on", not "liking pick plays" even if by definition it is legal at the line of scrimmage, etc.

To be fair he was prompted by a question from the announcer, and he does have a long history of back injuries. As a game analyst he's not being paid to say 'I can't tell from here, but I'm sure Bill Belichick will give us a detailed explanation after the game'.
He isn't being paid to guess at an injury when he has no clue, either.
Not giving analysis when you have nothiht to analyze actual IS doing your job.

It's actually refreshing to hear someone give insight to the game and what the players are seeing/thinking. He actually pin pointed how great Brady's footwork is, showed it on a few different plays, and how it separates him from other QBs. That's something we never hear other analysts talk about.

It's actually refreshing to hear someone give insight to the game and what the players are seeing/thinking. He actually pin pointed how great Brady's footwork is, showed it on a few different plays, and how it separates him from other QBs. That's something we never hear other analysts talk about.

I also found him talking about Bellichicks analytics.. and how he might do certain things on purpose just to be unpredictable. I think we all know Bellichick wants to be as unpredictable as possible all coaches do but to hear Romo talking about it was insightful.

We need to stop being sensitive lol Romo was fine IMO. either that or the commentary has just been that bad lately and he seemed fine.

I liked his insight, thought it was cool with the 4th down formations / speculating on what the Saints would or wouldn't do.

I loved Romo, he's a natural.
But...
Listening to his thought process regarding "pouring it on against a beaten opponent" it seems he epitomizes the loser mentality shared by his Dallas coaches and too many coaches/mediots in the league.
There's a reason NE succeeds while most fail and it has to do with never taking the foot off the gas and allowing an opponent opportunities unearned.
Some will never get it
Exactly. Romo represents NFL groupthink

We need to stop being sensitive lol Romo was fine IMO. either that or the commentary has just been that bad lately and he seemed fine.

I liked his insight, thought it was cool with the 4th down formations / speculating on what the Saints would or wouldn't do.
He was fine but over the top on the injuries

No question he's an upgrade over Simms

He was fine but over the top on the injuries

Something he can work on, but I didn't mind it very much. Maybe just felt pressed to 'analyze' there too, he'll get better with experience

I like how he diagnoses plays before the snap. He's almost always right.

I wonder if once he's been in the booth awhile he will still know the tendencies of players and teams in a different era.

I thought Romo was the best color guy I've heard in a while. He actually predicted several plays exactly correctly before they happened and seemed to have some really good insight from what I heard...

It sounded like Romo watched game film to actually give good commentary. He probably prepared for his in game analysis the same way he prepared to play an actual game. I'm sure most of the analysis guys stop looking at film at some point and get a little lazy. Which is why their commentary becomes so generic. Hopefully he keeps up the preparation, because I really liked his insight into the game

Agreed, I thought he was pretty good. He made one of the better points that I've heard from a color analyst towards the end of game when he said Belichick blitzed on the Saints final TD to hide tendencies when teams run analytics to prep for the Pats.
Could you imagine what Simms would've said there in comparison?

"Gosh Jim, uhhh that looks like a blitz there."

Romo seemed solid in the booth. Would watch again, not bothered by his injury commentary and enjoy perspective from a knowledgeable recent upper tier player.

There's a difference between knowing the subject and knowing how to talk about the subject. He definitely knows the content it should be a very informative broadcast when he is in the booth. 10/10

Last edited:
Who needs scans or to speak to anyone when Romo can diagnose from the booth that all our players have serious injuries that will keep them out for weeks...

Meh. Speculation is part of his job. He's pretty good at it. We fans speculate too. The color guy is kind of a stand-in for the fans. He does what we (try to) do, only presumably on the basis of greater insight and expertise. Maybe we're p----d that he's getting paid to do something we do for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes