PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Needs Medical People When You Have Tony Romo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Who needs scans or to speak to anyone when Romo can diagnose from the booth that all our players have serious injuries that will keep them out for weeks...

I have found him good both weeks so far...though all is relative which means Fouts and Simms are in the comp pool.

Hes gotta tone the injury **** and prognostication down though - where a simple "that doesn't look good lets hope for the best" will suffice...he should let it. I

I have found him good both weeks so far...though all is relative which means Fouts and Simms are in the comp pool.

Hes gotta tone the injury **** and prognostication down though - where a simple "that doesn't look good lets hope for the best" will suffice...he should let it. I

He can't count to 12.

To be fair he was prompted by a question from the announcer, and he does have a long history of back injuries. As a game analyst he's not being paid to say 'I can't tell from here, but I'm sure Bill Belichick will give us a detailed explanation after the game'.

Romo's injury prognosticatons notwithstanding, I thought he was a breath of fresh air in the booth. Actually talking about coverages, diagnosing plays both after and *as* they happen. It was worlds better than anything I've heard in ages on a national broadcast.

I've heard this applied to baseball, but it applies to football too. The lead broadcaster gets better as he gains more experience, learns the flow of the game, etc. On the other hand, the color man's key points are technical and strategic in nature. He spends year 1 understanding how broadcasting works, but his next 10 years afterwards are his best as he's able to apply his experience. After that though, he gets old - he's out of the loop on new strategies, and he starts getting crotchety ("these players aren't as good as when I played, they don't respect the game"). Then they start to spout cliches and become worthless. It happened to Phil Simms (he was actually good in the 1990s), it happened to Madden, it happened to Tim McCarver (was actually great in the 1980s), and it happened to Remy.

I loved Romo, he's a natural.
But...
Listening to his thought process regarding "pouring it on against a beaten opponent" it seems he epitomizes the loser mentality shared by his Dallas coaches and too many coaches/mediots in the league.
There's a reason NE succeeds while most fail and it has to do with never taking the foot off the gas and allowing an opponent opportunities unearned.
Some will never get it

To be fair he was prompted by a question from the announcer, and he does have a long history of back injuries. As a game analyst he's not being paid to say 'I can't tell from here, but I'm sure Bill Belichick will give us a detailed explanation after the game'.
I guess. But its a football game, there's plenty on the field to talk about, and it was like he was trying to fill the vacuum of drama based on the result of the game with other drama, and in a very 2017 America "BIGGEST INJURY IN HISTORY - MAYBE" kind of way that wasn't skilled or nuanced at all so IMO I felt like his lowest points - like saying "muddle huddle" 71 times - took away from what was otherwise frequently interesting commentary.

Overall he's new at this and I don't like judging anyone else after 2 days of work and I think he'll probably listen to himself and get better. It was just a bit over the top.

Hey, I thought Romo was fine on the game, but the prognostications of doom on every time a Patriot went out was annoying. They may be injured, or they could equally be being taken care of on a blowout.

All in all though, a good guy, even if he did take Bledsoe's job!

Honestly I don't mind Tony Romo on the commentary, he is pretty good.

Agreed, I thought he was pretty good. He made one of the better points that I've heard from a color analyst towards the end of game when he said Belichick blitzed on the Saints final TD to hide tendencies when teams run analytics to prep for the Pats.

I thought he was pretty good. Was confident in what he said would happen next. He does need to back way off the injury prognosis. He's an x-athlete with back problems, Gronk had back surgeries. Therefore, it must be his back. See, how he twists when he goes down.....

Agreed, I thought he was pretty good. He made one of the better points that I've heard from a color analyst towards the end of game when he said Belichick blitzed on the Saints final TD to hide tendencies when teams run analytics to prep for the Pats.

I don't mind Romo and thought he did a decent job but I am sure BB didn't run that play to "hide tendencies". It makes no sense.

I think people give Romo too much credit. Sometimes he is fantastic and others he is awful. He does give more insight that most other analysts at times p, but I think he can have a tendency to over analyze things and run on and on.

I think people have such an easy grading curve after years of Phil Simms, Dan Foutes, and Dan Dumbledorf.

That play was what did it for me. Never hear other guys saying things like that. I like Romo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back