PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is going to be starting in the middle of the 2021 season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Will be the starter in week 7 of 2021?

• Total voters

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
You can say it was due to COVID or injuries or not having enough weapons but when I watch Cam play on tape, his mechanics are off. He has never been a good thrower.

(2) Film Study: Is Cam Newton the issue for the Patriots? - YouTube

(2) 3 minutes of Cam Newton being trash || Cam Newton 2020 lowlights - YouTube

Now Brady didnt play at all in his Rookie year but the only reason for this is because he was a 6th round pick, he didnt have high expectations, Mac does not have that luxury. If Cam keeps playing like this, I dont see why we dont take the training wheels off and let Mac go.

You can say it was due to COVID or injuries or not having enough weapons but when I watch Cam play on tape, his mechanics are off. He has never been a good thrower.

(2) Film Study: Is Cam Newton the issue for the Patriots? - YouTube

(2) 3 minutes of Cam Newton being trash || Cam Newton 2020 lowlights - YouTube

Now Brady didnt play at all in his Rookie year but the only reason for this is because he was a 6th round pick, he didnt have high expectations, Mac does not have that luxury. If Cam keeps playing like this, I dont see why we dont take the training wheels off and let Mac go.
I expect Jones will be starting before Halloween

Unless Cam has a huge bounce back to Pro Bowl form, if Jones doesn't take Cam's job it's a huge red flag for Jones.

Bill will play the best player, and Cam was very bad. Do the math.

I also hope Margot Robbie knocks on my door in the next ten minutes and wants to bang me.
OT - why is human cloning taking so damn long? :rofl:

Unless Cam has a huge bounce back to Pro Bowl form, if Jones doesn't take Cam's job it's a huge red flag for Jones.
what if, and I say this in the spirit of being the devils advocate here, What if we win games in spite of cam (good D, solid run game cam just average) and keep him on the field in order to allow Mac to get familiar with the setup. There is the danger he is thrown in too soon and sinks. That's also a possibility. I mean for sure, if we're losing games cam is picking splinters from his arse. But it is possible the coaching team want Mac to grow into the role.

The thing I feel really good about is Jones' career is in good hands. For the sake of selling tickets or pure suckage he won't be rushed into the role and become damaged goods mentally for the rest of his career. He'll be protected until the training wheels are ready to come off.

He will play when BB thinks he is damn well ready to play and thinks he can help the team win games.

QB traits head to head:

Cam Newton

• mobility
  • playmaking
  • trucking
  • velocity (on some throws)
  • experience
Mac Jones

• accuracy
  • decision making
  • pocket presence
  • deep ball
  • release
  • touch
  • play recognition (seen enough of cam in 2020 to determine I’d take Jones here)
Mac Jones was arguably the most pro ready QB in the draft with a skillset tailor made to the pats offense. Besides experience, I expect him to vastly outperform Cam in ability & command of the offense.

Bill may start Cam to make the rookie earn the job later in the season but I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the job. This is the same coach that named an FCS QB & an UDFA rookie the backup to Tom because of merit rather than giving it to a vet.

Jones will be no1 when he is OK to hit the ground running. I doubt it will be as simple as just beating out Cam at a low bar as Jones struggling a little bit less than Cam could have long term effects..

My answer is I have no idea how long that process will take.

I doubt that Belichick will start Jones day one unless he impresses far more than expected. And I mean far, far more, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing by mid-October.

I know a lot in the media went overboard with how Belichick refused to talk up Jones in the press conference especially compared to how he talked up Garoppolo after drafting him, but I took that as Belichick, knowing he is the heir apparent to the starting QB role, not overhyping the guy or setting expectations that he will start right away. Belichick loves to talk up a guy like Garoppolo who at the time had no shot at being anything more than a clipboard holder for years.

Cam's got compromising pictures of BB or something so I don't think Indiana Jones plays this upcoming season unless Cam gets hurt. Wait 'til next year.

Cam returned to start and PLAY.

He is guaranteed 3.5 million and the rest of his contract is attached to playing time, pro bowl, playoffs, etc.

The legend of Mac Jones gets better by the day.

Are we really gonna have to deal with the anti Jones crew make snarky comments day in day out without any evidence, just their pre-conceived bias?

It honestly depends. At this point it is too early to know because we dont know how Mac Jones is going to look in the offense in his rookie year and we dont know what cam newton are we getting. I think we should have an idea by training camp.

What Cam newton are we getting? Does he look more like the guy he did before with another year in the system, a year removed from injury and better weapons. If thats the case, Bill may go with the more experienced veteran QB for the year and feel it benefits Mac Jones to sit a year, learn and have the coaches work with him to get him to develop and play in year 2.

But, what if he looks like the guy from last year and even with better weapons is throwing balls into the ground, making wrong reads. And Mac Jones comes out and is making crisp passes, is comfortable making his reads and in the offense. Then, bill will go with Jones.

Or this could be a Tyrod taylor-Hebert situation where you start the season with the veteran, but he gets injured/performs poorly and you put the rookie in and never look back

Or this could be a Tyrod taylor-Hebert situation where you start the season with the veteran, but he gets injured/performs poorly and you put the rookie in and never look back

Think we did something like that, 20 years ago, didn't we?

October 1

Cam returned to start and PLAY.

He is guaranteed 3.5 million and the rest of his contract is attached to playing time, pro bowl, playoffs, etc.

The legend of Mac Jones gets better by the day.
Cam returned because this was the only job offer he received and he was paid as a backup with his team stating publicly they were still looking for a better qb.
3.5 mill is 3.5 mill than anyone was going to pay him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back