Which OC for next year

• BOB

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • Kingsburry

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 38 44.2%

• Total voters
Kraft can't really guarantee it due to the league rules but he can make some level of assurances as far as prioritization. But really, any OC who comes here now has to know Bill only has a few years left at most, so there's that chance.
I wish it was Sean Payton well hopefully Mayo down the line.

I can't back up my reasons but I just think it's time there was a fresh pair of eyes at some of the important coaching positions. This could mean even more upheaval as I don't think the team can just carry on with minor tweaks. Its up to the owners to look far enough ahead.

I agree. I think Bill thought Mac could handle the changes. I think Bill thought Fat Matt could keep the ship on course.

Nope.
I think another aspect is that Mac didn’t really embrace the change and had, from my point of view, a negative attitude about it from the start. And I think that rubbed Bill the wrong way.

I think Bill counted on Mac to rally the offense around Patricia and to make it work. The reverse happened. The all offense was against Patricia from the start.

Also everybody is focused on Patricia but Troy Brown and Nick Caley are part of the staff too. Evan Lazar pointed also all year long that the receiver technic was poor. Everybody wanted Caley to be OC but the TE were basically a non factor this year and Smith for two year. Caley is the TE coach he is also responsible for that.

I think another aspect is that Mac didn’t really embrace the change and had, from my point of view, a negative attitude about it from the start. And I think that rubbed Bill the wrong way.

I think Bill counted on Mac to rally the offense around Patricia and to make it work. The reverse happened. The all offense was against Patricia from the start.

Possible. Mac might have been content with things and happy with the old offense in which he enjoyed success. When that was scrapped for something he saw as a lesser, he became a detractor.
Also everybody is focused on Patricia but Troy Brown and Nick Caley are part of the staff too. Evan Lazar pointed also all year long that the receiver technic was poor. Everybody wanted Caley to be OC but the TE were basically a non factor this year and Smith for two year. Caley is the TE coach he is also responsible for that.
Caley did fine w/ Josh here and HH had an excellent 2021. Can't comment on Troy. I think injuries. Mac and a crappy offense had a lot to do w/ a very average year w/ the WRs.

Throwing mechanics?? How many throws did we see off his back foot??

He had a number of them. Also opened he shoulder a ton.

Like I said, in a controlled environment without stress or pressure athletes can have perfect mechanics but when the bullets start flying the revert back to bad habits.
Too many and people are blaming Fat Matt Hmmmmm. I think Fat Matt deserves another year as OC (((ducks out of the way)). :rofl:
BB, Fat Matt, Judge. Mac....systemic failure.

Lot of truth in this.

Listen Jimmy G or bust yeah he's fragile but when he's in he wins prefect game manager for BB.
Depends how greedy San Fran would be. We gave him for a second-rounder. Given his injury history I think a third-rounder is acceptable.

He is a first round talent with a free agent level of durability.

Do the Krafts agree with you?
The f-ing better...the sooner one acknowledges the problem the sooner it can be fixed.

Depends how greedy San Fran would be. We gave him for a second-rounder. Given his injury history I think a third-rounder is acceptable.

Jimmy G is a free agent and can't be franchised.

Jimmy G is free agent . No trades required. He will go to highest bidder or whomsoever he is most comfy with .

Mike Reiss said on 98.5 today that someone with a lot of football knowledge told him that the Patriots offense looked to be put together from a head coach point of view saying "Well, this is how defenses are defending us and this is what we need to do to counter" while never looking it at the QB point of view of whether this really played to his strengths and whether that was something he was comfortable with.

Now contrast that with what Doug Pederson said about how he put together the offense with the Jags. Pederson said that while he was developing the offense, he spent a lot of time with Trevor Lawrence and the rest of the offense to understand them and their skills and bouncing ideas off of them (at least Lawrence). Pederson was concerned in not only an offense that could deal with what opposing defenses were throwing at them, but what played to the strengths and weaknesses of his team. The results? Not only has Trevor Lawrence rebounded this year and starting to look like the guy people thought he would be when he was drafted, but also Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, and Evan Engram all had career seasons.

The next OC has to look at the offense in the way Pederson did.

Didn't want to start a thread, this is probably the closest one to being relevant. I think it's potentially notable that Bourne, of all players, wants to stay. I think it might indicate Patricia is gone.
I agree with this.
He knows one way or another it’s not Patricia.
Good for Bourne to support the team.

Mike Reiss said on 98.5 today that someone with a lot of football knowledge told him that the Patriots offense looked to be put together from a head coach point of view saying "Well, this is how defenses are defending us and this is what we need to do to counter" while never looking it at the QB point of view of whether this really played to his strengths and whether that was something he was comfortable with.

Now contrast that with what Doug Pederson said about how he put together the offense with the Jags. Pederson said that while he was developing the offense, he spent a lot of time with Trevor Lawrence and the rest of the offense to understand them and their skills and bouncing ideas off of them (at least Lawrence). Pederson was concerned in not only an offense that could deal with what opposing defenses were throwing at them, but what played to the strengths and weaknesses of his team. The results? Not only has Trevor Lawrence rebounded this year and starting to look like the guy people thought he would be when he was drafted, but also Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, and Evan Engram all had career seasons.

Peterson is on my short list for coach of the year.

Throwing mechanics?? How many throws did we see off his back foot?? Too many and people are blaming Fat Matt Hmmmmm. I think Fat Matt deserves another year as OC (((ducks out of the way)). :rofl:
Patricia was awful. Even if you want to criticize Mac, it’s pretty plain that Patricia went into the season wanted to have the offense work one way and it was a significant improvement whenever he was forced to go against it to the point where the offense looked much better at the end of the year when the heat was on them.

He clearly failed as an OC. Mac has proven last season to be adequate when he had a competent OC. He also proved to play better when they went away from Patricia’s gameplay.

Matt Patricia has nothing to point to for someone to say “see, there’s the potential”. He flopped in Detroit and they look much better without him, here he was one of if not the worst OC in the league to the point where commentators were actively calling him out on tv.

Patricia was awful. Even if you want to criticize Mac, it’s pretty plain that Patricia went into the season wanted to have the offense work one way and it was a significant improvement whenever he was forced to go against it to the point where the offense looked much better at the end of the year when the heat was on them.

He clearly failed as an OC. Mac has proven last season to be adequate when he had a competent OC. He also proved to play better when they went away from Patricia’s gameplay.

Matt Patricia has nothing to point to for someone to say “see, there’s the potential”. He flopped in Detroit and they look much better without him, here he was one of if not the worst OC in the league to the point where commentators were actively calling him out on tv.
At first I thought the calling out was because every talking head hated the hire and said it would fail.
They so badly wanted to be right.
So I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I really don't understand any of this.

Makes no sense to me.

Yes, that's how Belichick thinks anyway. He will always adjust to attack weak points and account for our own. This just seems like normal stuff that applies to everyone.

The 2nd half about Pederson and Lawrence? It's the same as the first paragraph. What's the distinction? It's the same thing. Attack weaknesses, play to strengths. We don't even know what the future holds for Lawrence. But we do know Mac did indeed have a say in the development of the offense, but there's no way to account for someone with slow reads, slow to scan the field. It's not like you can then develop an offense that avoids that glaring weakness.

I just think play design was bad, the nitty gritty details, but to say there it was only designed to counter defenses?!! I MEAN, THAT'S FOOTBALL. THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. (Sorry for the Caps).

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back